Xbox with TSOP Flash stopped working, blinks Red Light

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
ochentay4

Xbox with TSOP Flash stopped working, blinks Red Light

Post by ochentay4 »

Hi, I need help with my Original Xbox.

My original Xbox v1.2 with TSOP Flash (X3 4983.1) [made by me years ago] suddenly stopped working after playing for a while.
Xbox had TSOP Sodering still in place and clock capacitor chopped off.

When I turn on the machine the light goes Green and inmediatly blinks Red to infinity.

Any help?

Here is a video that I made this weekend:
[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NwdIZ-lzOA [/youtube]

Its not the HDD
Its not the Optical drive

Got an Aladdin XT to diagnose but dont know if its flashed with any bios.
ochentay4

Re: Xbox with TSOP Flash stopped working, blinks Red Light

Post by ochentay4 »

I spent all day reading and learning, and found out that the Aladdin doesnt have any bios preinstalled. How can I program it?
RunsilenT

Post by RunsilenT »

That`s what used to be known as the Christmas tree effect when a chip has been installed badly, bad LPC header connections, D0 etc.
An Aladdin XT2 or TSOP can be reflashed via Hexen Tools disc or Slayers All In One Disc. A TSOP box will have to have been soft modded
prior in order to run the tools discs, a badly fitted modchip header and wiring would need to be repaired to allow booting of a tools disc.
ochentay4

Post by ochentay4 »

RunsilenT wrote:That`s what used to be known as the Christmas tree effect when a chip has been installed badly, bad LPC header connections, D0 etc.
An Aladdin XT2 or TSOP can be reflashed via Hexen Tools disc or Slayers All In One Disc. A TSOP box will have to have been soft modded
prior in order to run the tools discs, a badly fitted modchip header and wiring would need to be repaired to allow booting of a tools disc.
Maybe you didnt understand. That video is before installing the Aladdin. It does the same with the empty Aladdin.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

It is likely a fault with the motherboard if it has been working and you have not done anything.

You can possibly put in a chip and try boot from the lpc port to resurrect it but the tsop does not just fail unless you flashed it with the incorrect bios or something.

It sounds terminal.
If a chip does not come programmed you can't flash it without an external programmer or by a hot swap I'd be surprised if it does not have some sort of bios on it even if it is chromwell variant.
ochentay4

Post by ochentay4 »

professor_jonny wrote:It is likely a fault with the motherboard if it has been working and you have not done anything.

You can possibly put in a chip and try boot from the lpc port to resurrect it but the tsop does not just fail unless you flashed it with the incorrect bios or something.

It sounds terminal.
If a chip does not come programmed you can't flash it without an external programmer or by a hot swap I'd be surprised if it does not have some sort of bios on it even if it is chromwell variant.
Thanks. I'll do 2 things, the a magnifier with a light to try to spot any defect on the motherboard/power supply, and will try to flash and solder the modchip. I already know what bios was in the tsop and know what bios to use so thats no problem. Thanks! I'm open to suggestions!
alixir

Post by alixir »

Hi

Have you solved your problem? I think I have exactly the same situation. I bought Xbox with mod chip (it looks like Alladin XT) but it only starts from the chip. If I boot from original tsop it acts like yours (red led and no audio/video). But I'm pretty sure that it was working earlier. Could I messed something from Avalaunch? I did not made any soldering just played with Avalaunch options.
ochentay4

Post by ochentay4 »

alixir wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 6:12 pm Hi

Have you solved your problem? I think I have exactly the same situation. I bought Xbox with mod chip (it looks like Alladin XT) but it only starts from the chip. If I boot from original tsop it acts like yours (red led and no audio/video). But I'm pretty sure that it was working earlier. Could I messed something from Avalaunch? I did not made any soldering just played with Avalaunch options.
I'm convinced I fucked up something on the motherboard. I tooked it out, cleant with isopropil alcohol and now it behaves differently:
It tries to boot up, resets, 3 times in a row, then blinking red light to infinite.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

Hmmm, EEPROM been erased or written with bad data?
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

spicemuseum wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 5:42 pm Hmmm, EEPROM been erased or written with bad data?
that was what I was thinking just need a mod chip with bios that will boot past an eprom error and see if it will boot.
crazeeuke

Post by crazeeuke »

U should have removed the solder points for programming enable, ur bios is corrupt, if u had a 1.0 i would say short out the address lines to the second bank and reboot then rerun flash exploit, but u a only have a 256k bios, no other banks to flash or boot like the 1.0 1mb bios chip, ur hooped, maybe a chip install will fix it, u should have removed the solder points, the tutorials make that clear