Xbox external VGA Mod -> Updated Frozen cable

Got some hardware to sell, trade, or want to buy something. Post your details here.
N64 freak

Xbox external VGA Mod -> Updated Frozen cable

Post by N64 freak »

Hi,
I threw together a quick updated version off the Frozen VGA cable.
The difference to the original frozen VGA cable is the Sync seperator IC. The frozen cable uses an LM1881 that outputs composit and Vertical sync.
The frozen cable used the composit sync as the Horizontial sync which works quite well but isn't 100% accurate.
My updated version uses the LMH1980 which seperates the Horizontial and Vertical sync from the Green signal line.
480P video output looks great but the 720p output has a little black bar on the right side off the screen.

I don't have enough time to test out all the different Bioses out there and having multiple testers would be great.
I got one more fully assembled external VGA mod based on the LMH1980 here that i would need a tester for.
The Adapter looks like this and only needs a VGA mod flashed to work. No internal mod is needed!

Image Image

The price would be 30€.
Nextelhalo

Re: Xbox external VGA Mod -> Updated Frozen cable

Post by Nextelhalo »

Well done sir, I havent used my old Frozen VGA in a while. Remind me though, do we need to be running the VGA bios to take advantage of this? Been a while and just cant remember.
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
N64 freak

Post by N64 freak »

Yes! The frozen-cable (as well as this one) need a VGA patched Bios to work.
But running Linux with the cromwell Bios should also work as Linux sets the needed Scaler Registers.
But i need to confirm it as i never checked that it personally!
toxicmedz

Post by toxicmedz »

Id be glad to snag that up and start flashing all the VGA enabled Bios' I can find and let you know how things play :)
TheGrandPubaa

Post by TheGrandPubaa »

I recently came into ownership of three Xbox systems(a 1.0, 1.4, and a 1.6), two of which are now TSOP flashed and currently awaiting me getting the necessary bits to upgrade the hard drives to something a bit more modern. However, so far, my only means of display is to use an old DVStorm capture card in my old XP PC. I'm kicking myself for not buying the Frosty VGA cable back when it was available for purchase, although I suspect it might not have worked with my monitor anyway if it lacked the sync splitter chip. I would love to get my hands on one of these and flash one of my two TSOP-able systems with a force-480p bios. Is this going to be on sale at any point soon?
N64 freak

Post by N64 freak »

@TheGrandPubba: PM'ed you!
MrHuu

Post by MrHuu »

I've build a cab using a trusty 1400mhz 128mb xbox, which could use an VGA upgrade. Currently using a component to VGA converter but the result is not very crisp.

Still have the updated frozen cables for sale?
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

I'm interested in buying 1 or 2. Maybe more. I want to test them for lag on led monitors.

The halo 1 community in USA could be very interested in these if they support 480p and extremely low input lag. They all have modded boxes too. Also I noticed that frosty released a dashboard that supports vga without flashing the bios. It's a dual boot soft mod. I wanted to test this too.

If this works well, there are lots of h1 players that would want it.
mmz16x

Post by mmz16x »

was wondering if this works better then the frsty made cables? in 720p mode and if i use a VGA bios does that black bar go away?
N64 freak

Post by N64 freak »

It does exactly the same as the frozen VGA cable! Compared to the Frozen VGA cable it does have true H and V-sync signals but the black bars are the same.
It's a problem off the Bios not the cable as the Xbox just isn't built to output a true VGA signal and nobody programmed a suitable Bios.

This would solve the problem with the black borders at 720p resolution :D
Well not VGA but HDMI should be better for most people anyway!

Image Image
mmz16x

Post by mmz16x »

so will its force games and emulators into widescreen or let the system delegate the screen size as games like nes and snes are 240 by 480 if memory serves me what i mean will it alter there aspect ration or leave it be and let the system decide that? also is this item for sale :D if so how much and i'd like to get one next month if still available and is there a case for the board as i see in the pics its just the board and a lovely cable and HDMI output piece too :D
N64 freak

Post by N64 freak »

Well this cable is the only one in existence by now so this one is not for sale but they will be in the future. The first cables will be sent out to persons who are willing to fully test them on there screens and with different software setups.
Once i get that feedback and everything works the way i want it they will be for sale on here.

The cable is pretty dumb and is identified as a component cable.
The Bios off the console does do all the screen altering so you need a Bios that is correctly patched.
That all needs to be tested before i can say if it works or not! :D
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Well, I will be happy to test it in America with my softmods. Shouldn't hurt anything, but worth a test. How big are the dimensions of the board? That way I could look into a hobby box to contain it.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

They look good! - did you design and make that N64?
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

I would love one of these with HDMI...
N64 freak

Post by N64 freak »

If you directly want one just drop me a pm and we can talk about it.
Just tested the cable so far and it works great on my screen :)
mmz16x

Post by mmz16x »

with all the motherboards and chips i got i can test too what bios's do you need this tested with i know theres the official frosty bios's then the unofficial ones too i found sometime ago on assembler :P hmu as i'd like to help too :)

edit: i cant find the unofficial atm been google'ing for it for awhile now :P but i do have the official bios's :)
N64 freak

Post by N64 freak »

@geeba: Yes i created and built that board.
The VGA mod wasn't working properly and a lot off new tvs don't even have an vga in so i simply skipped continuing the vga mod and started working on this instead.

The cable doesn't need a modified Bios and will work with any retail or modded Bios.
You can of course try it out with the force480p bios as i don't have them.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

I am assuming this is a Component Video -> HDMI converter, what are the 7 connections to the board from the X80X video connector?
N64 freak

Post by N64 freak »

@Spicemuseum
Correct this is a custom designed Component to HDMI converter.
The 7 Connections are: Y, Pb, Pr, L+R Audio, Spdif and +5v as power supply. The Cable is identified as a component cable and is basically just an YPBPR->HDMI converter that is a single cable so you don't need the Component cable, Video converter and Power supply. The cable doesn't need an external PSU, has stereo audio transmitted through HDMI and also offers a Toslink port.
It could also be used to install the HDMI mod internally.