Removing rust from OG XB metal shielding

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
simbin

Removing rust from OG XB metal shielding

Post by simbin »

I bought one of the Halo Limited Edition Xbox consoles. Overall it's in good working condition (no cracks, minor scratches) but the metal shielding has lots of rust spots. I'm thinking it got flooded and moisture from wet bugs/debris sat on those spots longer.

I disassembled everything and cleaned each piece by hand. Since it's 2016 and modern TV's shouldn't interfere, I was just going to scrap all the shielding. Then I realized the bottom shielding is needed for video ground.

Has anyone found a way to easily remove the rust from the metal shielding? I was reading something about submerging in apple cider vinegar. Any ideas?
xman

Re: Removing rust from OG XB metal shielding

Post by xman »

I just paint them now. Not only does it stop the rust, it actually looks a lot better I think. All you need to do on the base is scrap off the paint from the tabs that touch the PC board around the mount holes to maintain the earth connections. I usually just use white metal paint because it is pretty universal and goes with the black giving a good contrast but any colour will do the job. On a Halo green, (I haven't done one of those yet), but I'm thinking a silver metallic or green metallic would be an outstanding chose as the colour of the shield because I will show through the green case.
simbin

Post by simbin »

xman wrote:I just paint them now. Not only does it stop the rust, it actually looks a lot better I think. All you need to do on the base is scrap off the paint from the tabs that touch the PC board around the mount holes to maintain the earth connections. I usually just use white metal paint because it is pretty universal and goes with the black giving a good contrast but any colour will do the job. On a Halo green, (I haven't done one of those yet), but I'm thinking a silver metallic or green metallic would be an outstanding chose as the colour of the shield because I will show through the green case.
Do you sand the rust spots and use rustoleum first? There's no rust on the side facing the motherboard so that should make things easier.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

How does the video grounding work?

AFAIK their is only one ground (all ground contacts connect on the motherboard)

As I tried removing the shielding and ended up with the bands due to the above.
(So can't we just ground the motherboard to the ground plain on the underside of the PSU?)
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

xman wrote:I just paint them now. Not only does it stop the rust, it actually looks a lot better I think.
I actually don't see this often. Do you have and photos where you've painted the cage? Might be something to do with my crystal xbox.
Rocky5 wrote:So can't we just ground the motherboard to the ground plain on the underside of the PSU?
Yes. In a case swap project I did a while back I just connected one of the motherboard grounding points (the one closest to the fan) to ground on the PSU and it cleared up the video banding issue. I don't recall if I connected it to one of the ground wires or to one of the bottom contact points on the PSU but I'm pretty sure either way will have the same outcome.

If it were me, I would either ground the motherboard to the PSU as mentioned or buy another Xbox and use a different metal cage. I don't know about you guys but $5 - $10 Xboxes are a common occurrence (at least in my area). That being said, it could be a good experience if you've never taken rust out before. Then you got that extra pride factor if you restore it yourself. ;)
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
simbin

Post by simbin »

Rocky5 wrote:How does the video grounding work?

AFAIK their is only one ground (all ground contacts connect on the motherboard)

As I tried removing the shielding and ended up with the bands due to the above.
(So can't we just ground the motherboard to the ground plain on the underside of the PSU?)
Got a black screen without the ground. I could hear audio still - just no video.
GoTeamScotch wrote:If it were me, I would either ground the motherboard to the PSU as mentioned or buy another Xbox and use a different metal cage. I don't know about you guys but $5 - $10 Xboxes are a common occurrence (at least in my area). That being said, it could be a good experience if you've never taken rust out before. Then you got that extra pride factor if you restore it yourself. ;)
I was going to swap the metal cage with another Xbox but it's my only 1.6 model.
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

simbin wrote:I was going to swap the metal cage with another Xbox but it's my only 1.6 model.
AFAIK the only difference is that the older versions have an extra screw hole and peg in the case. If you switch to a different cage you can just bend this extra metal leg down so that it doesn't touch the board and the rest of the screws should line up. I put a v1.4 in a v1.6 case last night so I assume the other way around would be fine as long as you deal with that one extra contact point on the cage. I believe it's the hole right next to the GPU heatsink under the video port. Going off of memory here so verify before doing anything.
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
xman

Post by xman »

xman wrote:I just paint them now. Not only does it stop the rust, it actually looks a lot better I think.
GoTeamScotch wrote: I actually don't see this often. Do you have and photos where you've painted the cage? Might be something to do with my crystal xbox.
Original upper RFI shield in rusty condition......

Painted in White Rust Stop......

Painted shield fitted inside a red case, internal view......

White painted shield fitted inside a crystal, external view......
simbin

Post by simbin »

Nice job! Any tips for someone who's only spray painted in Jet Set Radio? lol

Think this would work good?
https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-77158 ... B0009XB2XC
xman

Post by xman »

I just lightly sand the rust, it is only surface rust after all, and any pits left in the metal will only help giving the paint something to bind to anyway. Once you have got rid of most of the rust, blow it off, give it a quick clean with alcohol. Let it dry and as always when painting with spray paks, do a very light dust coat over all the required paint surfaces and when this dust coat becomes tacky, hit it with a 2nd proper coat. This paint I'm using is an epoxy based paint so it is pretty thick. This thickness of the paint will cover any imperfections from the rust. This paint also includes a primer so no primer coat is required. Let it dry the recommended time and on the surface that the mother board mounts to you will notice little nipples on the metal that surrounds the raised points that touch the mother board. Just grab a file and one rub over the nipples and the paint will come straight off these nipples exposing the nipples to conduct to the mother board perfectly. Do this last step when the paint is just dried and it comes straight off. Leave the paint dry for a week and it won't come off the nipples as easierly I suspect. If you don't clean the paint off these points that touch the mother board, you will have earthing issues.