Component + TOSLINK to HDMI

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
mwaterbu

Component + TOSLINK to HDMI

Post by mwaterbu »

I am looking for something to convert my component video (and TOSLINK audio) to HDMI, and ideally upscale/upconvert this to 1080p.

The closest thing I have found so far is this:
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-105971 ... B0034HWQ4Y
But that only takes the component and optical audio and converts it to HDMI, it does not upscale it at all.

There are many component to HDMI upscalers online (including some discussed on the forums here), but I have not yet found one that supports optical audio (which I would like for my surround sound setup).

I am also looking to buy a surround sound receiver, so another option could be to utilize this. Unfortunately, it seems that most of the current receivers on the market do not support component inputs, let alone converting them to HDMI and upscaling them.

If the receiver could take an HDMI input and a TOSLINK input separately, and combine them, that would work because I could use a component to HDMI upscaler without optical audio, and just pass the TOSLINK straight to the receiver (and hope that there is no delay introduced between the channels).
Another alternative would be a receiver that could upscale HDMI. I could use the converter linked to above, which would pass the non-upscaled HDMI (with surround sound) to the receiver, which would then upscale it.

Has anyone done something like this before?
Any recommendations on converters or sound receivers that could do this (and are not crazy expensive) would be much appreciated!
xman

Re: Component + TOSLINK to HDMI

Post by xman »

Would be cool to get an all in one solution but take it from me...HDMI is one of the best mods on it's own. Well worth the effort. Just simple things like being able to have the machine as far as you want, within reason, away from the TV. The fact it plugs into any modern TV and it also just looks a whole heap neater.
mwaterbu

Post by mwaterbu »

I'd love to do an HDMI mod like yours, but if it doesn't have surround sound, it really isn't worth it to me. The clean, one cord connection would be awesome though. I wonder if I could fit it in my slim case (things are already pretty crowded with the DVD board in there, but a 2.5" HDD might help save some room).
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

that is what I brought works well for me I feed it into my sound system it strips the audio then off to the tv
mwaterbu

Post by mwaterbu »

Link?
Feeder

Post by Feeder »

I picked up one of these with no surround into HDMI and passed the optical over to my amplifier.
(https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0088HO1UC/ref ... D6QF6M8HQA)

My home theatre setup has:
- Sony STR-DE935 (so no worries about HDMI inputs here)
- LG 49UB8500-UA Television (4K Ultra & 3D)
- A room set up with in-wall surround speakers
- An XBOX with a High Def AV Pack
- X-Arcade Tankstick (Toddler Proof!)
- other schtuff

So, behind the scenes the AV pack feeds the HDMI output and the optical goes to the receiver. I can use plain old stereo on the TV over HDMI if I feel like it.

I like the idea of the up-scaling, but I'm happy with my current setup, wires I'll check back here to see how things progress.
mwaterbu

Post by mwaterbu »

Thanks! I may give up on the upscaling and just use the converter I linked to. I need to pass the HDMI to the receiver because my TV has only one HDMI input, so I'll be using the receiver as a switch.

Also, I did find this, which would probably work well on the HDMI out from my receiver, but it's a bit pricy.
Feeder

Post by Feeder »

If you do decide to go that route just order directly from Monoprice and save some $$$. I order cables from them quite frequently and used their television wall mount in my home theatre setup. Save more if you sign up for their e-mail and wait it out. They had 20% of all their branded products on June 30th and 15% off anything they sell on July 4th. A sale should come along at some point.

Here's the product on Monoprice.
mwaterbu

Post by mwaterbu »

Feeder wrote:If you do decide to go that route just order directly from Monoprice and save some $$$. I order cables from them quite frequently and used their television wall mount in my home theatre setup. Save more if you sign up for their e-mail and wait it out. They had 20% of all their branded products on June 30th and 15% off anything they sell on July 4th. A sale should come along at some point.

Here's the product on Monoprice.
Thanks! I buy from monoprice all the time (maybe to much haha...). I just linked to Amazon as I figured most would be familiar with it.