Very small power supply. Would it work with Xbox?

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
nidge

Very small power supply. Would it work with Xbox?

Post by nidge »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pico-ATX-Swit ... SwjVVV4RuA

As the subject says; a very small power supply, and would it work with the Xbox? :)
http://www.theoriginalxboxshoppe.weebly.com
http://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/Computers-and-Consoles

Crystal Xbox v1.4, Xecuter 3, 500gb sata hard disk, 1ghz CPU, 128mb RAM, HD component 720p, blue LED's.
Crystal Xbox v1.4, Xecuter 3, 320gb sata hard disk, stock CPU, 128mb RAM, HD component 720p.
professor_jonny

Re: Very small power supply. Would it work with Xbox?

Post by professor_jonny »

I got one working on a 90w picopsu so I don't see why not.

That one says 160w but I doubt it is of the same quality of the real ones.

http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-160-XT
asbo

Post by asbo »

My mind has gone completely blank on the correct term but you need to make sure it can supply enough amps when the xbox starts up, as it briefly draws considerably more than usual. This is a problem I had when I made my micro xbox, the PSU could supply enough amps for it to run, buit not enough for it to boot. Had to return it and get a slightly more powerful one.
xman

Post by xman »

Input voltage: +12V/DC(11.4-12.6V)
Input Current: Max. 17A
Output ATX: 160W
Output Current +12V: 8A
Output Current +5V: 8A
Output Current +3.3V: 8A
Output Current +5VSB: 1.5A
Output Current -12V: 0.1A
Output Power: 160W
Power Efficiency: > = 92%

Looking at the specs, no. Not nearly enough on the 5vDC @ 8 Amps. This needs to be higher at about 10-12amps and the 12vDC can come down to about 2 amps. May I suggest going for a straight 5vDC power supply of about 10-12 amps. If you take out the DVDrive you won't even need the 12vDC and if you do want the DVDrive, get the 12vDC direct from the 12volt input plug as the DVDrive has a 12vDC regulator inside it to smooth out the 12vDC anyway. As for the 3.3vDC, you only need it as a standby if you want to use the normal start button and that only needs to be less than an amp, ( a normal 1.0-1.5 Xbox is only 0.075amps on the 3.3vDC standby) , so a 3.3v regulator of 1 amp wired direct to the input plug will be more than required and that will give you your 3.3vDC standby. As for your normal 3.3vDC, a 5vDC to 3.3vDC power supply of about 4 amps is all that is required. I'm suggesting this approach solely on cost and also it is nearly impossible to get one of these things with a high enough amps on the 5vDC. Going about it this way means you aren't limited to using a 12volt supply to the power supply inside the Xbox either. You can easily get mains to 5vDC power supplys of 10-12 amps. You can also get 5vDC to 12vDC step up buck inverters of a couple of amps value as well. And also 5vDC to 3.3vDC step down buck inverters. It sounds like a lot of parts but these buck inverters are the size of a match box. The biggest part is the mains or 12vDC input to 5vDC module and that is about 2/3 or less the length of a stock Xbox power supply. Another plus is the power this will use, it will use significantly less power from the wall than the original Xbox power supply and that is because these current technology power supplys are far more efficient that the original Xbox units.

These are the specs off an original Xbox 1.0-1.1 Foxlink power supply to give you some ideas of what you actually want-
+5vDC........13.2amps
+12vDC........1.2amps
+3.3vDC.......4.8amps
+3.3vDCSB...0.045amp

These are the specs off an original Xbox 1.2-1.5 Delta power supply to give you some ideas of what you actually want-
+5vDC........13.2amps
+12vDC........1.2amps
+3.3vDC.......4.8amps
+3.3vDCSB...0.075amp

So there you have it. I would say you can drop those max amp figures slightly but not a great deal of wiggle room there. Now you are seeing why I say not to only 8amps @ 5vDC. Hey, that is really pushing it. It probably would boot after a couple of tries after the caps are partially charged up on the board but I figure you want it booting reliably and not massively abusing the power supply.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Can't you remove a few caps so the amp draw isn't so much?

I'm sure I read somewhere, someone done this, think it was on a v1.1 board.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
professor_jonny

Rocky5 wrote:Can't you remove a few caps so the amp draw isn't so much?

I'm sure I read somewhere, someone done this, think it was on a v1.1 board.
yip I did that an asbo did that with his wooden media centre case on here a while back.
professor_jonny

xman wrote: the 12vDC can come down to about 2 amps.
I guess he could install a linear regulator to bump up the 5v current a bit running off the 12v line as there is plenty to spare on the 12v line :-)
asbo

Post by asbo »

professor_jonny wrote:an asbo did that with his wooden media centre case on here a while back.
I think it was on the old forum.
Pics if anyone is interested, although I can't really remember what I removed etc :D
http://s77.photobucket.com/user/jimmo_2 ... ox%20micro
http://s77.photobucket.com/user/jimmo_2 ... Micro%20V2
asbo wrote:My mind has gone completely blank on the correct term
Peak is the term, the first PSU I tried was the PicoPSU-80 and it couldn't supply enough peak current on the 5V line. I replaced it with the PW-200-M which works great.
xman

Post by xman »

Something like this is ideal if you want an all in one solution. It is designed for an in car install of a PC but what I liked about it was the startup delay timers and turn off delays that are completely programmable and it is designed to handle low voltage during car motor cranking. The 5vDc is high enough without needing to pull caps out of the mother board of the Xbox. Just bear in mind the plug, while it will go straight into the Xbox 1.2-1.6 power connector, it certainly isn't compatible and requires wiring mods to get it compatible all of which I have done before. The only down side is the price. The plus is it fits easily in place of the Xbox power supply and you won't kill it with a stick.
Take the time and read the features and specs before passing judgement.
http://resources.mini-box.com/online/PW ... /specs.pdf

If you are truly interested, I'll take a picture of the one I have prepared here for use in a 1.2-1.4 Xbox.
mmz16x

Post by mmz16x »

what heatsinks did you use i see a geforce heatsink i think and another sink any chance you have the model numbers? or know what they came from :)