Softmodding Xbox USB & Installer

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
ashleykr

Softmodding Xbox USB & Installer

Post by ashleykr »

I'm about to try softmodding my xbox but got a couple questions.

I've got a USB Sandisk Mini cruzer 32MB, is this going to enough to install the SID installer and everything that's needed to get it modded and the XMBC on my xbox?

Secondly, I'm pretty confused about SID installer and the new XBMC4Xbox 3.5.3, I'm not seeing a downloadable or update to get this, so would I be getting the latest XBMC?

Thanks!
Albatross

Re: Softmodding Xbox USB & Installer

Post by Albatross »

Rocky5 has a decent user friendly Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc linked in his signature & tutorial videos on youtube - they could be worth a try.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Rocky5's Softmod is a good tool. It will fit on the 32MB memory card.

As for XBMC, it will be updated on its own independent of the Softmod itself.
Wally12

Post by Wally12 »

Albatross wrote:Rocky5 has a decent user friendly Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc linked in his signature & tutorial videos on youtube - they could be worth a try.
I second this. I used it to resoftmod an Xbox with a very old version of XBMC. The XBMC install was very corrupt so I wanted everything running smoothly. I used SID 5.12 to mod my main Xbox a while back, but I definitely recommend Rocky5's tools.

As far as updating XBMC, the way I like to do it is install UnleashX dashboard as an app (in the apps folder) and run it. Then I FTP into the Xbox and rename the XBMC folder on the Xbox to "XBMC_Old". The just FTP the newer XBMC folder to the Xbox. Then reboot the Xbox and once you verify that XBMC is up and running the newest verison, you can delete the "XBMC_Old" folder.
Computers & tinkering with different tech. I run a YouTube gaming channel in my spare time: Join the fun!