Cheap And Easy Blue Tooth Audio.

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
xman

Cheap And Easy Blue Tooth Audio.

Post by xman »

Just curios how many people if any would be interested in having there audio from there Xbox sent wirelessly using Blue Tooth. To me it's a no brainer as I have a good use for it. I have had great success using Blue Tooth and now that TV audio speakers are such poor quality, I figure an idea solution is to just send the audio from the Xbox via Blue Tooth to my sound bar and seeing as I am changing my machines to HDMI and the audio wires are right there, now would be the time to install it as well. Let me know just how much interest there is out there and I'll get something together to show how to do it.
Rocky5

Re: Cheap And Easy Blue Tooth Audio.

Post by Rocky5 »

Even if there is zero interest which there isn't as I'm interested :lol: always good to show others your work :D
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
asbo

Post by asbo »

Ditto, I probably won't ever do the mod but its always great to see your work xman :) and to add to this forums wealth of knowledge.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

I allways toyed with the idea of wireless toslink using an ir emitter or wireless transceiver as the Xbox has digital audio it was one of my plans to try it.
NOTTHESAME

Post by NOTTHESAME »

I wish i could do this but i know it wont be eaay for mr but i like this idea
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Would this work
Logitech Bluetooth Audio Receiver Adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IJYG4FY/ ... YwbTQG2NBA
xman

Post by xman »

hawsey wrote:Would this work
Logitech Bluetooth Audio Receiver Adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IJYG4FY/ ... YwbTQG2NBA
No, you need a "transmitter" and when selecting a much harder to find transmitter, be very aware this part is often misleading and it is simply a receiver. Receivers are also much cheaper and far easier to find. Preferably target a Blue Tooth 3 or 4 spec unit, Blue Tooth 2 can be a lot more troublesome to pair or connect although some spec 2 units are pretty good but a lot are rubbish. If you see a Blue Tooth 4 spec version, target it. It features the latest technology and a very easy to use but be very aware the price can vary wildly. That unit you highlighted can be found for around 6 pounds elsewhere just to give you some idea of the pricing of Blue Tooth devices.
xman

Post by xman »

NOTTHESAME wrote:I wish i could do this but i know it wont be eaay for mr but i like this idea
Wait and see just how easy this mod can actually be Notthesame. It is one of those mods you can make as hard or easy as you wish. You could use an old controller cable plugged in one of the front game ports to get the power for the Blue Tooth unit from and the two sound RCA connectors from the video cable to get the sound from. There you go, no soldering required. May not be the prettiest way to do this mod but who cares if you have room to tuck the cables behind the Xbox in a cabinet somewhere. What really matters is, "would Blue Tooth sound make your Xbox more useful to you". Would you be likely to walk around the house with a set of Blue tooth headphones on?. Would you like to hear the sound through a good sound amp wirelessly? This is what Blue Tooth can do for you.

Here is one of the Blue Tooth transmitters I have ordered to try in the Xbox. I choose it for a couple of reasons.
One, I was able to get the same model locally so no big time delay on waiting for it to arrive.
Two, it has pretty good reviews although one person did mention a lag in the sound. I've heard that before with Blue Tooth but never experienced it yet so fingers crossed, this one won't delay but if it does, that is what XBMC has sound advance/ retard settings for isn't it?.
And three, probably the most important reason, you can use it while you charge it. These things are always re-chargeable using 5vDC however a lot of them don't allow you to use them while they are being charged. This would be no good if you have the transmitter locked inside the Xbox and plugged into the Xboxes 5vDC as I intend on doing with it. That would mean when the machine is turned on, the Blue Tooth unit would be charging but not working because it is being charged. This unit DOES allow you to use it while it is being charged so it will work and keep the battery fully charged so when you turn the machine off the battery will maintain the pairing connection data so when you turn the machine back on, the pairing connection will automatically reconnect. The only down side with this unit I can see is it is Blue Tooth version 2.1.. I would have preferred a BT version 3 or 4 unit but this one should do fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Wireles ... B00N1R7W9Q

This is another style I ordered to try out. It is a BT version 3 unit and also works while being charged. It also comes with 3.5mm to RCA cable adapter so with a male RCA to male RCA connector, you can plug it straight into the Xboxes audio/ video cable. It is also charged using a USB plug so you could use an Xbox port to female USB adapter which you can buy to power it.

This is probably best suited for an external Blue Tooth, no soldering setup for your machine. This one will take a while before it arrives from China for me so a couple of weeks before I can do a review on this unit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Wireless- ... 1877900735

I'm hoping for the 1st one to arrive in the next week. the 2nd will be a couple of weeks off I believe.
NOTTHESAME

Post by NOTTHESAME »

Wow this is cool, its not as bad as i thought, i think i can do this :)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Ahh that's great , I had no idea you could do that with a game port .
Wally12

Post by Wally12 »

xman wrote:
hawsey wrote:Would this work
No, you need a "transmitter" and when selecting a much harder to find transmitter, be very aware this part is often misleading and it is simply a receiver. Receivers are also much cheaper and far easier to find. Preferably target a Blue Tooth 3 or 4 spec unit, Blue Tooth 2 can be a lot more troublesome to pair or connect although some spec 2 units are pretty good but a lot are rubbish. If you see a Blue Tooth 4 spec version, target it. It features the latest technology and a very easy to use but be very aware the price can vary wildly. That unit you highlighted can be found for around 6 pounds elsewhere just to give you some idea of the pricing of Blue Tooth devices.
I'm interested in this. Also, what if you used these three items together?

Mpow Streambot 2-In-1 3.5mm Bluetooth Audio Music Streaming Switchable Transmitter and Receiver for PC, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Tablets and MP3 Player https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P20TFWM/re ... Zwb9G7WQT0

I have tried the above and can vouch that it works.

Monoprice 107230 3.5mm Stereo Jack to 3.5mm Stereo Jack Adaptor, Gold Plated https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C87WQ6/re ... ZwbFMDM2P5

Tripp Lite 3.5mm Mini Stereo to Two RCA Audio Y Splitter Adapter Cable (3.5mm M to 2x RCA F), 6-ft.(P315-006) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CNOUC6/re ... ZwbBKSAJH8
Computers & tinkering with different tech. I run a YouTube gaming channel in my spare time: Join the fun!
xman

Post by xman »

Wally12 wrote: Mpow Streambot 2-In-1 3.5mm Bluetooth Audio Music Streaming Switchable Transmitter and Receiver for PC, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Tablets and MP3 Player https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P20TFWM/re ... Zwb9G7WQT0
Yer it will work however if you want it internal of the Xbox, power it from the Xbox or want to work it for long periods of time.

"Built in battery for portable use, or fast-charging it through the USB cable, BUT, it can not be used while charging!" :?

Wally12 wrote: Tripp Lite 3.5mm Mini Stereo to Two RCA Audio Y Splitter Adapter Cable (3.5mm M to 2x RCA F), 6-ft.(P315-006) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CNOUC6/re ... ZwbBKSAJH8

3.5mm to RCA female connector. ;) The two audio RCA connectors on the Xbox AV cable plug in this and the 3.5mm end plugs in the Blue Tooth transmitter. Less cables. :D
toxicmedz

Post by toxicmedz »

Ive actually done this with one of my systems already :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J00UtPpeVhU
xman

Post by xman »

Cool, well at least I know it does work not that there was any reason for it not to work. I would be disappointed if mine only works about 30cm though, I was expecting at least 10 feet as quoted by the Blue Tooth transmitter manufactures and it would be nice to see actually how you did it. More to the point, what transmitter is at the end of the Xbox Avi leads and is the system actually blue tooth or FM transmitting to a FM radio tuned accordingly. I was looking at this FM approach myself but the need to turn down the volume so the static sound didn't come over when nothing was being transmitted was not what I was after. I was after a system that had no static when the Xbox was off and sound out only when the Xbox came on, something that only blue tooth can achieve. Good news is my two Blue Tooth transmitters have now arrived so I can get them hooked up, tested and take some pictures so others can try the idea if they wish on there Xboxes.
toxicmedz

Post by toxicmedz »

It was a very small bluetooth transmitter, If I was to go this mod again Id have made a better way to have it mounted Outside the case in a way that didnt look obvious that a mod was done.
With it being inside the shielding I get only about 3-4 feet of bluetooth connection.

Oh and the connection on the AV leads is Toslink
toxicmedz

Post by toxicmedz »

Just did a remake of my bluetooth enabled OG xbox. The bluetooth signal was WAY too weak with the adapter inside the shielding.
rebuilt the mod to bring the audio to controller port #2 and moved the transmitter into a DVD Dongle :D Perfect connection now!
xman

Post by xman »

Now it is a lot more useful. :D You are always going to have troubles trying to get a signal out of a grounded metal shield after all, that is exactly what the shield is there for, to stop interference from coming out of or entering the Xbox. While Blue Tooth isn't exactly interference it is still like trying to get a radio to work inside a car without an external Ariel. If it was absolutely necessary to have the board inside, on the end of all Blue Tooth devices is a "S shaped" track etched onto the board. That is actually the ariel. You can cut that part off the board , if the board design allows, mount it outside the Xbox's metal cage and connect it back to the board using a wire. That will work fine as well although I do like your idea of the IR receiver case. That is a good solution without needing to bastardize the Xbox to much.
NOTTHESAME

Post by NOTTHESAME »

@xman ok say i have a blutooth speaker all ill need is the blutooth usb http://m.ebay.com/itm/161877900735?_mwBanner=1
This would be pluged in to my xbox red and white to a 3.5mm and then usb for power? Im sure it has a pair button to pair? I just got a speaker blutooth but i wanted to mkey audio wireless now that i got theses blutooth speakers.
xman

Post by xman »

That is the same as one of the ones I use. It actually works extremely well. You can get your USB 5vDC from inside the Xbox and yes, it does have a pair button. Once the unit has been paired it will auto pair to that receiver every time you power both units up. If you mount the transmitter on the back of the Xbox case, range is about 2 rooms. There is no noticeable audio delay and being BT 3 standard, pairing is quite straight forward.
NOTTHESAME

Post by NOTTHESAME »

Cool alright, im gonna order maybe 1 or 2, one for my car and my xbox, also i got a usb on my xbox made it my self a few years ago.

Is the link above the one you use? I really want to use something that you use or recommand.