[Solved] Need help upgrading to 1TB SATA HDD

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Wally12

[Solved] Need help upgrading to 1TB SATA HDD

Post by Wally12 »

My Xbox is from 2004, so I am assuming it is a 1.6. It has a stock Western Digital hard drive and a Samsung disk drive.

I am having trouble upgrading my stock HDD to a 1TB SATA HDD. I bought a PATA to SATA adapter on Ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/191162025480?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT) and I load up Chimp 2.6.1.8 and then swap the IDE cable from the XBOX disk drive to the adapter once I'm at the main menu. I am using a molex cable inside a powered up desktop PC to supply power to the HDD I want to upgrade to. If I swap it before the main Chimp menu loads with all it's options, the screen goes white and I can't do anything. If I try swapping the IDE cable to the PATA to SATA adapter after my Xbox loads up XBMC (which is my dashboard), my Xbox freezes and I can't do anything. But having the IDE cable out after the Xbox boots to XBMC is no problem. It doesn't freeze until I connect the IDE cable to the adapter connecting my 1TB hard drive.

Also, do I need to set the new drive to Slave? I'm not sure how to do that if I do, as there is no diagram on the drive telling me how. Sorry for all the questions. This is all very new to me but I have been scouring the web to try and find answers.

Here's pictures of my setup and a screen that shows Chimp not detecting my HDD and detecting the disk drive instead as "dev hdb".

Chimp Problem
http://imgur.com/ZmQ5mKG

HDD hooked up with PATA to SATA
http://imgur.com/QrFTCD3

Closeups of adapter only
http://imgur.com/a/sEIyL
bought here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/191162025480?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

1TB HDD
http://imgur.com/YYYYuYu
http://imgur.com/qMi9C8i (plug end of HDD)

Stock HDD
http://imgur.com/mPgbZpL

Would trying Xboxhdm be better or would that not work for me?

Edit: I tried hooking up a 160GB SATA harddrive that has Windows 7 and Lubuntu on it (which Chimp would delete anyway) and my Xbox also froze and had all the same problems with that one.
Last edited by Wally12 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:08 am, edited 8 times in total.
Computers & tinkering with different tech. I run a YouTube gaming channel in my spare time: Join the fun!
spicemuseum

Re: Need help upgrading to 1TB SATA HDD

Post by spicemuseum »

Wally12 wrote:My Xbox is from 2004, so I am assuming it is a 1.6.
Not necessarily. The switch from v1.4/5 to v1.6 was during April 2004.
Wally12

Post by Wally12 »

spicemuseum wrote:
I got my Xbox in October or the very beginning of November since I bought it for Halo 2, which released November 9.
Computers & tinkering with different tech. I run a YouTube gaming channel in my spare time: Join the fun!
asbo

Post by asbo »

Since you've got its lid off its worth a peek at the video chip just to be sure. Its between the GPU heat sink and the video cable socket. You never know how long it may have been sitting in the shop or warehouse before you bought it. :)
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

The Xbox version is irrelevant due to chimp 2618 & 261811 supporting all Xbox revisions.

What it sounds like from what I read, is the adapted is causing the problem when you connect it.
(Put some card, or electrical tape on the underside of the adaptor, so it doesn't short when you push the ide cable in)

Make sure the new HDD is set to slave (via the adaptors, Sata drives don't have jumpers) & use UnleashX as the dashboard when you swap the ide cable, as it won't freeze.

Do the following:
  • Open console.
  • Get new hdd powered & sitting ontop of the DVD drive.
    (Set to slave via the jumpers)
  • Turn the console on.
  • Goto the applications menu & highlight chimp (lpartx)
  • Disconnect the DVD IDE cable & plug it into the new hdd.
  • Press (A) & wait for chimp to load.
  • Select the apropriet option to clone the hdd.
  • After it's done lock the new hdd to the Xbox motherboard eeprom.
  • If you using the F & G partitions use XBPartitioner v1.3 & format the Extra Partitions.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Feeder

Post by Feeder »

I think we're missing a key part to running Chimp (perhaps only specific versions) on a version 1.6 XBOX.

The short answer is that you will need to run Chimp over a telnet session. I've done this once myself, so I know there is some truth behind it. It's also been a while so you may need additional research.

There is a tutorial on another website containing the following information:

- Make sure you can figure out your XBOX IP address. So it a static IP address on your router.
- The run Chimp, and in your case the screen goes white.
- Open a command prompt on your PC
- Type 'telnet 192.168.0.100' and press enter. (use your XBOX IP address and not this sample one)
- username should be 'root'
- password should be 'xbox'
- Chimp should now appear and you proceed to set up the hard drive as usual from here (clone, lock, reboot)
- When you are done and reboot, leave you PC and go back to the XBOX.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Feeder wrote:I think we're missing a key part to running Chimp (perhaps only specific versions) on a version 1.6 XBOX.

The short answer is that you will need to run Chimp over a telnet session. I've done this once myself, so I know there is some truth behind it. It's also been a while so you may need additional research.

There is a tutorial on another website containing the following information:

- Make sure you can figure out your XBOX IP address. So it a static IP address on your router.
- The run Chimp, and in your case the screen goes white.
- Open a command prompt on your PC
- Type 'telnet 192.168.0.100' and press enter. (use your XBOX IP address and not this sample one)
- username should be 'root'
- password should be 'xbox'
- Chimp should now appear and you proceed to set up the hard drive as usual from here (clone, lock, reboot)
- When you are done and reboot, leave you PC and go back to the XBOX.
2618 & 261811 both work on all Xbox versions ie, 1.0 to 1.6b, there is no need for telnet anymore.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

Wally12 wrote:
spicemuseum wrote:
I got my Xbox in October or the very beginning of November since I bought it for Halo 2, which released November 9.
...none of which is of any relevance. It's the date of manufacture which is important. That's written on the long label on the bottom of the case.
Wally12

Post by Wally12 »

asbo wrote:Since you've got its lid off its worth a peek at the video chip just to be sure. Its between the GPU heat sink and the video cable socket. You never know how long it may have been sitting in the shop or warehouse before you bought it. :)
I checked after I updated my Xbox to the most recent version of XBMC (3.5.1) and it said in the settings I have a 1.6.

Rocky5 wrote:The Xbox version is irrelevant due to chimp 2618 & 261811 supporting all Xbox revisions.

What it sounds like from what I read, is the adapted is causing the problem when you connect it.
(Put some card, or electrical tape on the underside of the adaptor, so it doesn't short when you push the ide cable in)

Make sure the new HDD is set to slave (via the adaptors, Sata drives don't have jumpers) & use UnleashX as the dashboard when you swap the ide cable, as it won't freeze.

Do the following:
  • Open console.
  • Get new hdd powered & sitting ontop of the DVD drive.
    (Set to slave via the jumpers)
  • Turn the console on.
  • Goto the applications menu & highlight chimp (lpartx)
  • Disconnect the DVD IDE cable & plug it into the new hdd.
  • Press (A) & wait for chimp to load.
  • Select the apropriet option to clone the hdd.
  • After it's done lock the new hdd to the Xbox motherboard eeprom.
  • If you using the F & G partitions use XBPartitioner v1.3 & format the Extra Partitions.
I'm not good with cards and chips and such, so I'm not even remotely sure where I would put tape. Also, I don't understand how I would set the adapter to a slave setting, as the only plug-in ports on it are for the power, the end of the SATA drive, and then the IDE Cable. I found this that talks about jumper settings on my SATA HDD. I have a Western Digital WD1002FAEX SATAIII 6Gb/s HDD. As a side note, it didn't come with a little white jumper piece. The only jumper piece I have is in my Xbox's original HDD, and if I take it out the Xbox gives the error 12 so it has to be in there. I have that HDD set to the mode where it is in "Master or Single." I had it as "Master with Slave" but that wasn't working either.

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/an ... esktopjump

Using UnleashX is not a problem though as I have it installed in my apps. I have tried loading UnleashX and letting my Xbox just sit in the apps menu of UnleashX for 5 minutes, but my Xbox still freezes when I plug the IDE cable into my SATA HDD with the adapter attached and powered on.

I appreciate all the help, but sadly I am still stuck.

Do I need to get "an 80 wire ide cable and a sata adapter with a Master/slave header and 2 capacitors like this model http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131339440390 ... EBIDX%3AIT" like one commenter mentioned in this video (https://youtu.be/3WdstTRnINk)? I hope I don't have to buy another adapter.
Wally12

Post by Wally12 »

EDIT: I spoke too soon :( ! Chimp seemed to have worked but now when my new HDD is plugged in and I try turning it on, I either get the normal Xbox boot splash screen and Error 13 (with black jumper on on the PATA to SATA adapter) or Error 9 when I take it off. Ugh. Could it be because my HDD didn't lock when I clicked on "Lock slave drive."? How do I know if it is successful in locking the drive? Please help!

Or, do I just need an 80 PIN UDMA66/133 cable mentioned here: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =14&t=2040?

WOW! I have finally figured it out guys! After closely inspecting the adapter, I figured out that it had a jumper on it. The little black piece looked like one, so I just thought "screw it" since I was so frustrated, especially since I have dealt with a bit of problems just trying to get the USB cable to softmod my Xbox, get the HDD, etc. I pulled it off and it revealed two metal pins. I now have Chimp working and it is cloning my original HDD as I am typing this. My Xbox didn't freeze to my surprise when I plugged in the IDE cable to my new SATA HDD. Thank you guys so much for the input, especially Rocky 5 since I didn't even know that you had to have an adapter with Master/Slave capabilities! I have thanked (thumbs upped) all of you and really appreciate you guys taking the time to respond to my thread, since I know it is hard to get info on modding an original Xbox nowadays. This has been a fun learning process, albeit a frustrating one.
asbo

Post by asbo »

Certainly give an 80 pin cable a go, chances are you can scrounge one for free from somewhere. Most old PC's will have one.
I'm not familiar with chimp but maybe if the 80 pin doesn't help, you could try a mod chip?
RunsilenT

Post by RunsilenT »

Wally12

Post by Wally12 »

asbo wrote:Certainly give an 80 pin cable a go, chances are you can scrounge one for free from somewhere. Most old PC's will have one.
I'm not familiar with chimp but maybe if the 80 pin doesn't help, you could try a mod chip?
I got one of Ebay. It's a 36" cable but I just folded the cable several times and the folds just sit under the disk drive so it works nicely. I read the minimum length you want is 24". Anyway, the cable works. Problem solved.

As a side note, I figured out the cable can be plugged in either way. The Motherboard connector end can go into your SATA drive adapter and the Master conector end can connect to your Xbox's motherboard. I don't know if this effects loading times or memory reading speeds though.

Also, I was able to use Chimp to unlock a Seagate 160GB SATA drive for use with my PC again. I was originally worried that I had permanently messed up this HDD and my 1TB HDD b/c they weren't working with my Xbox, but that was just because I didn't have an 80-wire cable.