Launching an ISO from the Hard Drive

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
crosscrunchy10

Launching an ISO from the Hard Drive

Post by crosscrunchy10 »

I've heard that it is possible to launch ISO files from the hard drive as long as you are running a softmod that includes nkpatcher v8+, though I've never seen it done in practice. 99% of xbox games work flawlessly when run from their directory tree on the hard drive, but select games (Harry Potter: POA, TOCA 3, Monster Garage, Tony Hawk P8) have filenames that are too long for the FATX filesystem. This means the games cannot be run from their raw directory. Most posts suggest just running from the disc, but that isn't necessarily an option with a slimbox. So, if it's possible to play the .iso files directly then maybe these games will work from the HDD? :) I am trying to follow the directions from this thread http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... ?f=6&t=662 , but I am getting the same results as r3dsk1n. I have placed the attach.xbe file into the folder of the iso and renamed it. When I launch the attacher it links to the iso and reboots, but when I try to run it again the console reboots without ever launching the game. Does anyone have experience in launching games this way?

Also, I am not sure whether I have the proper prerequisites for launching isos. I installed my softmod using SID 5.11 without the virtual C + Eeprom. Would this have any effect? Thanks!
sixties keith

Re: Launching an ISO from the Hard Drive

Post by sixties keith »

Could you not use a program like gxis on the computer for your iso files and then just ftp the folder over? Its basically a computer version which break the iso down the same way as dvd2xbox would do from disk

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
crosscrunchy10

Post by crosscrunchy10 »

Did you mean to say qwix? I'm not finding anything about a program named gxis. I have no issue getting the files out of the iso, the problem is that the FATX filesystem only supports 42 characters per file name. The games I've mentioned above have files with names much longer than that, and thus crash when those files are called upon. DVD's got around this limitation because they use the UDF filesystem. So, if I can keep the game in the iso format and launch them that way, it will bypass the FATX limitation. I just can't figure out how to make that work.
Last edited by crosscrunchy10 on Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

no i meant gxiso, i have it on my computer and as i say it does exactly the same as what dvd2xbox does on the xbox itself, i mentioned the program as you said you had a slimbox and no access to the dvd drive.

I use gxiso to extract any game i have in iso format the way dvd2xbox would do it then just copy over via ftp to the xbox, ive never came across a game yet that didnt work this way so i would give it a go

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
crosscrunchy10

Post by crosscrunchy10 »

I understand the concept of extracting ISOs. I have the vast majority of games stored as folders on my console. The issue is with the filesystem. There is no way to have these games run from their extracted folders, due to the length of the file names, which conflicts with the FATX filesystem that the xbox uses. There are two possible solutions to get these games working:
  • Modify the default.xbe to call for shorter file names and change the file names appropriately, then recompile
  • Launch the games from the .iso, where the file name lengths are not constrained
Option one is next to impossible, so that leaves option two, which can supposedly be done. I just need help figuring out more about nkpatcher and the iso launching functionality. More specifically, whether SID softmod installs have this feature or not.
Spongy

Post by Spongy »

My first guess would be that sid 5.11 doesn't use nkpatcher 8.1, but I'm not sure. If that's the case, you would need to update to a newer version or try sixties keiths method. Long file names aren't a problem if the game is patched. DVD2XBOX has separate patches for each game that requires them. I've never tried gxiso so it may have the patches built-in. Qwix also has a "patch xbe" option, though I've never used it.

My second guess would be that the ISO is 4 GBs or more. If this is the case and you have the physical disc, you could use the isoripper app from driveimageutils. What isoripper does is break the ISO into multiple ISOs to keep it under the 4 GB limit on the xbox. It also adds/renames the attach.xbe.

Out of the games you listed, the only one I have is TOCA 3. I know it runs from ISO with attach.xbe and doesn't run when extracted (unless patched).

I don't think the lack of virtual C/EEPROM should make a difference, but I'm not positive.
Last edited by Spongy on Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spongy

Post by Spongy »

crosscrunchy10 wrote:
  • Modify the default.xbe to call for shorter file names and change the file names appropriately, then recompile
  • Launch the games from the .iso, where the file name lengths are not constrained
Option one is next to impossible
As I mentioned in my post above, not only is option one possible, it's very common. There are patches for games with long file names which can be added to DVD2XBOXs "patches" folder. Qwix also has a "patch xbe" option, though I've never used it.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

The Virtual CDRom drive was ported to a few of the later bios, well not ported to the bios as such, but an NKPatcher was compiled that patches the VDrive into the bios.

Ind-Bios 5003 & a few others are supported.

Works just the same as the softmod.

Located here.
http://www.emuxtras.net/forum/viewtopic ... =30#p57490
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
crosscrunchy10

Post by crosscrunchy10 »

Spongy,

As far as I know, there are five games that haven't been patched yet. I will try the iso ripper and see if I have any better results. If that doesn't work, I have a feeling I might need to redo my soft mod using Krayzie's Ndure.

Rocky5,

Is that thread only dealing with hard mods? I know that Iso playback was initially only available on softmods, then back ported for modchips. I am trying to figure out how to use that information, but I don't know if it applies here.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

If your wanting the virtual cdrom support, it has to be enabled in NKPatcher.

I'm not sure if it's enabled by default on other softmods, but on mine it is.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
crosscrunchy10

Post by crosscrunchy10 »

Okay cool,

I've taken a look at your softmod installer and it's actually pretty cool! It's nice to see some new development going on. I want to try it, but I need to make sure I have a secure recovery method available because my DVD drive is on its last leg. I will give it a shot in the near future. Thanks!
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

If you're not wanting to use the dvd drive you can download this & place the Prep folder in the E drive & launch the default.xbe inside the E:\Prep\ folder.

It's straight forward after that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a29t3b3fqywt2kg/prep.zip?dl=0
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
crosscrunchy10

Post by crosscrunchy10 »

That works perfectly! Thank you so much :D Prisoner of Azkaban and all of the other long filename games work with the attach.xbe fix. Now all I need to do is set XBMC as my main dash... I'm going to try to figure it out on my own, but feel free to post a tutorial if I haven't reported back yet lol. Thank you so much again!

Edit: I would preferably like to store my dashboard in E:\XBMC
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

crosscrunchy10 wrote:That works perfectly! Thank you so much :D Prisoner of Azkaban and all of the other long filename games work with the attach.xbe fix. Now all I need to do is set XBMC as my main dash... I'm going to try to figure it out on my own, but feel free to post a tutorial if I haven't reported back yet lol. Thank you so much again!

Edit: I would preferably like to store my dashboard in E:\XBMC
Your welcome.
  • I now support 9 dashboard locations, so that should cover all softmod dashboard locations.
    • C:\dashboard\default.xbe
    • E:\dashboard\default.xbe
    • C:\dash\default.xbe
    • E:\dash\default.xbe
    • E:\default.xbe
    • E:\dashboard.xbe
    • E:\evoxdash.xbe
    • E:\XBMC.xbe
    • C:\evoxdash.xbe
If you really want to have a custom dash location, you will need to add a file to "C:\nkpatcher\dashloader\" you can do this by entering the NKPatcher Settings menu & FTPing to said location.

you want to place a file called default.cfg & inside this file E:\XBMC\default.xbe this will load your custom dash location on the next boot.
(if the dashboard doesn't exist it will just boot the next dashboard path in the list above)
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
crosscrunchy10

Post by crosscrunchy10 »

Hmm, I've been playing around with it for the past few hours and I can't seem to get XBMC to boot as the dash. Here is what I've tried:

* Replacing all of the files in C:\Dashboard with the XBMC 3.5.1 files
* Hex editing the default.xbe from the hidden partition to search in E:\XBMC

I haven't yet tried the default.cfg fix, but I thought for sure that the first bullet point would work (not so much the second lol). I've dumped the raw files from XBMC into the C:\Dashboard folder and it seems like it is trying to load, but goes nowhere. I'm met with a black screen after the Xbox logo and then nothing. This means that it did in fact find the default.xbe, but it isn't launching it properly. If it didn't find it, it would revert to one of the rescue dashboards. I read one of your posts from another forum that you use the XBMC shortcut tool as a basis for your dash launcher. I don't really know what else to try, other than the default.cfg, but I have a feeling I will hit the same issue there. Any pointers? Also, thank you so much again for all the help :)
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

why not just use the xbe shortcut maker?

Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

crosscrunchy10 wrote:Hmm, I've been playing around with it for the past few hours and I can't seem to get XBMC to boot as the dash. Here is what I've tried:

* Replacing all of the files in C:\Dashboard with the XBMC 3.5.1 files
* Hex editing the default.xbe from the hidden partition to search in E:\XBMC

I haven't yet tried the default.cfg fix, but I thought for sure that the first bullet point would work (not so much the second lol). I've dumped the raw files from XBMC into the C:\Dashboard folder and it seems like it is trying to load, but goes nowhere. I'm met with a black screen after the Xbox logo and then nothing. This means that it did in fact find the default.xbe, but it isn't launching it properly. If it didn't find it, it would revert to one of the rescue dashboards. I read one of your posts from another forum that you use the XBMC shortcut tool as a basis for your dash launcher. I don't really know what else to try, other than the default.cfg, but I have a feeling I will hit the same issue there. Any pointers? Also, thank you so much again for all the help :)

Here is the latest unreleased v1.2 update.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/170 ... 20v1.2.zip

Download this & place the prep folder in E & reboot, let it update.

Now after it has upgraded your softmod, load up NKPatcher Settings (LED will go red) now FTP to C:\nkpatcher\dashloader\ & edit the default.cfg file with notepad. Save your changes & place XBMC in E:\XBMC\

Thats you done & sorted, there are quite a few changes to this version of the softmod.

• Read Me - 2014 Softmod Kit v1.2 Created by Rocky5

Update:
    • Softmod v1.2:
      1) Changed the NKPatcher Settings Kernel Fonts section, to be password protected & clearer.
      2) Changed the ShadowC partition to a partition number XBMC or other Dashboards cant see or access.
      3) Updated Dashloader to reflect the above changes.
      4) Fixed issues with UnleashX failing to allow FTP transfers.
      5) NKPatcher settings menu & skin rearranged.
      6) Added a custom splash for UnleashX.
      7) Fixed an NKPatcher compile error "LDR1 space error on kernel 3499"
      8) Streamlined the Softmod installation.
      9) Now uses a custom skin after the Softmod is installed.
      10) Updated Dashloader with better logging.
      11) Added setting indicators for the NKPatcher settings. (now you know what you selected)
      12) Other minor improvements & fixes.

Extras Disc v1.2:
      1) Updated XBMC v3.5 to XBMC v3.5.1.
      2) NKPatcher settings menu rearranged.
      3) Added the changed from Softmod v1.2, for the update/upgrade Softmod menu.
      4) Fixed Xored Mini not installing to the Xbox HDD.
      5) Other minor improvements & fixes.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
crosscrunchy10

Post by crosscrunchy10 »

Sixties Kieth,

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I did actually try the shortcut maker before the other two tries that I listed. I received the same results (black screen, no change in LED color).

Rocky5,

I'll test it out in roughly an hour or so. Thanks!
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

crosscrunchy10 wrote:Sixties Kieth,

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I did actually try the shortcut maker before the other two tries that I listed. I received the same results (black screen, no change in LED color).

Rocky5,

I'll test it out in roughly an hour or so. Thanks!
The reason is UnleashX not FTPing files correctly, there all zero bytes.

It seems to only happen with UnleashX 39 0222A & above & at that its bloody random, also it doesn't effect UX if its loaded as an app only after its loaded via NKPatcher, can I ask what Xbox version you have?
(I get the same issue on my v1.6 test box, but not on anything lower)

(I now use UnleashX 39 0212A for my installer & UX dash, as this doesn't have the issue & works)

When transferring the above Prep folder, load NKPatcher Settings first & then FTP it to E, this will make sure it FTP's correctly.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
crosscrunchy10

Post by crosscrunchy10 »

Yeah I have a v1.6 :P so that's probably a big part of the problem.

Here's what I'm going to do: I'll copy all of the necessary files (the prep folder, xbmc, the default.cfg) to my xboxhdm flash drive and I will rebuild the drive with those files included so no ftp-ing will be necessary to get the dash installed and running. Obviously I can't put them into the proper place until I run the softmod, so once I run it I will copy them into the proper places using another dash as an app.

If I am still hitting the same issue, is there any way I can run the softmod extras disc from the HDD and install XBMC as a dash that way? I know you say it needs to be burned (similar to slayer's and heXen), but maybe that will work?

I'm going for a run so I'll test it when I'm back