Japanese Halo 2 and Skeleton Edition in USA

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
ToXZiN 1

Japanese Halo 2 and Skeleton Edition in USA

Post by ToXZiN 1 »

Hey guys,

Was hoping someone could help me out. I purchased the Halo 2 Edition and Skeleton Black Edition Xbox consoles a few days ago. I know these systems are Japanese systems and play NTSC-J games. My question is do I need some sort of power converter to play them here in the states? I think the voltage is different than what they use in Japan. I can upload pictures of the power supply one of them came with if you need to see it. Thanks for any and all help in advance.
GhostlyGamer

Re: Japanese Halo 2 and Skeleton Edition in USA

Post by GhostlyGamer »

US Power should be fine. Japan power runs in the range of 100-110 volts (literally, its a range, different in different prefectures). Because of this all the NTSC consoles have a power supply rated for 100-127(?). at worst, read the markings on the xbox's power port, should say the range.
budbandito720

Post by budbandito720 »

Nice find on the skeleton edition. How much did you pay?
You Cool Man?
ToXZiN 1

Post by ToXZiN 1 »

Thanks for the reply. that's what I thought. I looked at the stickers by the power supply. The japanese one says "220v - 240v ~ 1.2A 50HZ"

The United States one says " 100v - 127v ~ 2.1A 50/60 HZ". Wouldn't there not be enough to boot the box?
ToXZiN 1

Post by ToXZiN 1 »

I got the Skeleton Edition for $300. It came with the original controller and all cables plus a 500 gb sata hdd, sata to ide adapter, duo X 3 chip and two Japanese games. I also just got my hands on a debug kit and Halo 2 edition.
asbo

Post by asbo »

ToXZiN 1 wrote:I looked at the stickers by the power supply. The japanese one says "220v - 240v ~ 1.2A 50HZ"
That seems odd as that's the frequency and voltage range we use here in Europe. I know Japan uses both 50Hz and 60Hz but wikipedia says only at 100v. Its not been modified and the sticker replaced has it?
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

duty free shopping perhaps ?
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

asbo wrote:
ToXZiN 1 wrote:
That seems odd as that's the frequency and voltage range we use here in Europe. I know Japan uses both 50Hz and 60Hz but wikipedia says only at 100v.
Personal experience - it's nominally around 110V 50~60Hz, but the supply voltage is variable in highly urbanised locations 10% either way - could be worse in rural locations. ...but it's not 220~240V. You need to be in Englandland, or That Europe, for that supply.
ToXZiN 1

Post by ToXZiN 1 »

It seems odd to me too. The Skeleton box hasnt come in the mail yet but I can zoom in on the pictures from ebay and tell it says 110v. These are pictures of the Halo 2 Edition. Maybe it will help.
ToXZiN 1

Post by ToXZiN 1 »

If you guys need me to resize those pictures lemme know. Didnt know they would turn out that big :roll:
xman

Post by xman »

ToXZiN 1 wrote:If you guys need me to resize those pictures lemme know. Didnt know they would turn out that big :roll:
For those that wish to view the pics,
Simple- hold Ctrl button and scroll on mouse. :D
ToXZiN 1

Post by ToXZiN 1 »

Found out it's actually a Korean system, not Japanese. Korea uses 220.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Well, they are cross compatible with the motherboard between regions, but not between Xbox versions. It shouldn't be hard to find one from a local donor box.
ToXZiN 1

Post by ToXZiN 1 »

So say this console is a version 1.6 from korea with a 220v psu in it. I should be able to take my 1.6 version United states psu and put it in the Korean box and it should work?
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

If you are sure the motherboard is the same version then yes
xman

Post by xman »

The Xbox Power Supply Compatibility Listings-

1.0 - 1.1 use the same power supplys.

1.2 - 1.5 use the same power supplys.

1.6a - 1.6b use the same power supplys.

1.0 and 1.1 both use a 12 row, single row connector and all the rest are 10 row, duel row. Although a 1.2 - 1.5 power supply will plug into a 1.6a or 1.6b board, they are NOT compatible. Do not try. The same can be said for a 1.6a - 1.6b power supply. While it will plug into a 1.2 - 1.5 board, they are NOT compatible. Do not try.
It may be worthy of noting a PC power supply will also plug into a 1.2 - 1.5 board or a 1.6a - 1.6b board but these are not compatible either. It is possible to modify the power supplys to fit other models including the P.C. power supplys but you really need to know exactly what you are doing.
If you are uncertain of a power supply ID you can look at these pictures of the connector wiring to determine what they are or should you wish to re- wire a connector to suit other models, you will need these pictures as well.

The easiest way I have found to quickly identify between a 1.2 -1.5 power supply and a 1.6a -1.6b is the 7th and 8th row on the 1.6 power supplys will ALWAYS be vacant. They will always have at least one used on a 1.2 - 1.5 power supply. By the way, the wires are not always the same colours used as those in the pictures. This can vary however, the 7th and 8th row ruling is always the case.
ToXZiN 1

Post by ToXZiN 1 »

Got it figured out and figured I'd share incase someone ever needs this info later on down the road. The guy who sold me the xbox said it wouldn't power on when he hooked it up. That's bc he was plugging a 220v psu into a 110v outlet. I purchased a "Step up/down adapter from amazon for $25 and hooked it up to the xbox power source. Xbox booted up fine. Thanks for all the info and help everyone!