Help with XBOX v1.6 capacitor! and more

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
Johndill

Help with XBOX v1.6 capacitor! and more

Post by Johndill »

Hi. I usually work with Xbox 360's and this is my first original XBOX I have owned (got it for free :-), it's a 2005 V1.6 and well you can see the pictures :-S but it does work and I need help with the capacitors, the clock cap looks good but I have read that a V1.6 will not work without the clock cap so I need the guidance of the experienced users, do I leave it, replace it (if so, what cap to put in it's place), do I have to replace any other caps? fill me in with everything I need to know about it.

Oh, and does anyone know how to remove the surface rust? darn cockroaches!
Attachments
IMG_0076.JPG
IMG_0080.JPG
IMG_0078.JPG
professor_jonny

Re: Help with XBOX v1.6 capacitor! and more

Post by professor_jonny »

you can remove the cap no need to do any thing else but...

i would check for trace corrosion on the front of the motherboard at the bottom and give it a clean :-) up before problems arise

as for the shielding you can acid dip it and re electro plate it, I would not bother to much a scratch up and a spray of rusk kill or converter could do the trick ?
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Yep a good clean... stick the cases through the dishwasher gets them really clean..

the metal tray as the Proff said once the rust has eaten it its a re-plate... I would do a silver spray and just clean the contact points for the RF shielding. or buy another cheap xbox for spares...

The board... a good wash down with a PCB cleaner and get the magnifying glass out ;)

This sorta stuff...

http://www.rapidonline.com/mechanical-f ... nser-30094
Johndill

Post by Johndill »

Thanks for the replies, so the V1.6 does work without the cap? as for the motherboard, it's in great condition apart from the bug husks and legs :-) I'll apply new thermal compound as well.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I've not heard of any v1.6 clock caps leaking. (looks like microsoft fitted a different type in the v1.6 xbox)
Munch

Post by Munch »

Johndill wrote:it's in great condition apart from the bug husks and legs :-).
don't get me wrong its one of the worst conditions I've ever seen under xbox interiours :D

good to know it was the cock-a-roaches and not the CAP as it's V1.6 i doubted that!
Johndill

Post by Johndill »

UPDATE:

I removed the cap but the xbox would not power no so the v1.6 requires the clock cap to run, so I put it back in obviously :-)

I used some rust remover and weather spray paint then finnished with chrome to make it look original:
p2.jpg
Before and after:
p3.jpg
p1.jpg
As you can now see it's spotless and looks new, I should of taken a picture before I put everything back in but anyway you get the picture.

I do not have an AV cable so I have not been able to fully test it as I want to get an original AV cable for collectors sake, but at the moment it flashes orange and green (no AV) and it sounds like it was reading the disc I put in so all good so far :-)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Looking good :-)
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Yep looking much better!
Ging3rguy

Post by Ging3rguy »

Does anyone know if you actually need the clock cap or could you just short the connection?
Johndill

Post by Johndill »

Ging3rguy wrote:Does anyone know if you actually need the clock cap or could you just short the connection?
You can remove the clock cap from revisions v1.0 to v1.5 except for v1.6 revision, the v1.6 revision will have no power if you remove the cap, as for shorting it, that's a good question that i'm not game enough to try myself :-)
asbo

Post by asbo »

Ging3rguy wrote:could you just short the connection?
Never short out a connection where a capacitor used to be, this applies to all electrics and electronics.