MKV Subtitles not showing XBMC 3.5

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
ramon zarat

MKV Subtitles not showing XBMC 3.5

Post by ramon zarat »

Hi.

First, thanks to the whole team for XBMC4XBOX, it's an mazing project.

I have many MKV videos that show subtitles on my PC with VLC 2.1.5, Media Player Classic 1.7.7 and Windows Media player 12. Those same videos all showed subtitles in every XBMC version I can remember since 3 and up, until 3.5RC2. Unfortunately, the subtitles do not show in the latest 3.5 stable.

At first, I simply copied the new 3.5 final build on top of the former old one (overwrite all) as I always do, but seeing it didn't worked for the subtitles, I created a new separate folder and re-installed 3.5 final fresh. I renamed the former xbe to xbe.bak in the old folder and rebooted to try the fresh install from the new folder I just created. Still no subtitles... And yes, the subtitles option is set to ON.

Any suggestion, or is this a known bug that will be fixed in a subsequent release?

Thanks,
Ramon
tim619

Re: MKV Subtitles not showing XBMC 3.5

Post by tim619 »

If you set up all right and are sure the subtitles should show up than the only problem I can imagine is that maybe the position of displaying the subtitles is calibrated out of display range... -> you can try the position by calibrating screen
For me all mkv files having subs show correct also on 3.5
ramon zarat

Post by ramon zarat »

Ok, thanks for the suggestion, I'll try to double check everything. The first thing I always do is to caliber my screen size in XBMC options exactly because XBMC at default settings is always set "too large" for my TV.
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

make sure the subtitle file is named exactly as the name of the media your viewing or it also wont work. i forgot this when i renamed some of my files and forgot to update the srt file names

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
tim619

Post by tim619 »

@ramon
that is a problem everyone has. I dont know why this is set up overscaled but you can see it when anyone post screenshots on the pictures are black borders caused by calibrating.

Of course you should also check the filenames like keith said but I was assuming your files were untouched as you wrote.
ramon zarat

Post by ramon zarat »

tim619 wrote:@ramon
that is a problem everyone has. I dont know why this is set up overscaled but you can see it when anyone post screenshots on the pictures are black borders caused by calibrating.

Of course you should also check the filenames like keith said but I was assuming your files were untouched as you wrote.

Hi Tim!

So, this is a known bug? I mean, this is not a normal behavior, right? If I understand correctly, what you are saying is the subtitles ARE there, it's just that they are far too much outside and underneath the usual "rendering zone", in what, the overscan area? Again, no problem for me until 3.5RC2 which was the last version that worked fine with the exact same video files. I didn't tried other RC releases after RC2 and went straight to the final 3.5, so I can't comment on RC3, RC4 etc... *IF* there was other RC version after RC2 in the first place, which I don't even know.

Also, the MKV format have the subtitles included/embedded within the video file itself, as opposed to an external subtitles file as for other format such as AVI.

Thanks,
Ramon
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

ramon zarat wrote:....no problem for me until 3.5RC2 which was the last version that worked fine with the exact same video files
Eliminate a problem with the files by going back to RC1 or earlier and re-confirm you see your subtitles.
tim619

Post by tim619 »

@ramon
no, that is not a known bug. I just said that everyone has to calibrate the screen.

So if you have checked your subtitle position next step would be posting debug log and mediainfo of mkv file because it seems the container could be special.
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

i just tried a video storage wars s06e02.mkv

for me on 3.5 the subtitles worked great

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
ramon zarat

Post by ramon zarat »

tim619 wrote:@ramon
no, that is not a known bug. I just said that everyone has to calibrate the screen.

So if you have checked your subtitle position next step would be posting debug log and mediainfo of mkv file because it seems the container could be special.

No, I didn't check or change the subtitles position, I never had to do that in previous releases. Just install and play and it always worked fine. I only calibrated the screen size itself. The video file subtitles shows just fine in every other players I tried. If it works for everyone and there is no bug, then there is no reason it shouldn't work for me too. I'll do more test then and look how to position the subtitles.

Included is the mediainfo file of the video, just in case you find something suspicious.

Thanks for your help,
Ramon
tim619

Post by tim619 »

That's what I was assuming: your subtitle is a SSA. I read in past that there were problems playing these. Seems like a bug, a debug log is needed like:
1) enable debug 2) play video file 3) pause 4) enable subtitle 5) resume video 6) upload log
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Our codebase.needs some more work for ssa/ass subtitles. There is an issue open on bugtracker
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

It's also possible, I did some work towards that, that may have made things worse. I'd have to check. I will look into it though.basically I need to build in libass with font support etc.
ramon zarat

Post by ramon zarat »

Ok, I have more infos for you guys:

1- Re calibrated the screen and set the subtitles "height" to its maximum height, just to make sure.
2- While the video is playing, press "start" and in "audio and subtitles settings" option, the subtitles is set to ON and it report "Subtitles: Unknown 1/1"
3- Tried the video with mplayer instead of DVDplayer. The video is complete garbage, but the subtitles actually shows! That's very interesting!
4- Tried every single options in settings/videos/playback
5- Tried every options in settings/videos/subtitles. Only the font arial.ttf works and only with mplayer.
6- Re-installed 3.5RC2 fresh in it's own separate folder and subtitles ***DIDN'T*** work....
7- Re-installed old T3CH version SNV 31107 from 2010 fresh in it's own separate folder and subtitles WORKED.

The only reason I can see RC2 did work when installed on top of my old installation folder is that some old files from T3CH build were still there and were overwritten when I installed 3.5 final.

I will try to install RC1, all the betas and version 3.3.3 and below until I find a version that work and will report back later

Thanks.
Last edited by ramon zarat on Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
ramon zarat

Post by ramon zarat »

tim619 wrote:That's what I was assuming: your subtitle is a SSA. I read in past that there were problems playing these. Seems like a bug, a debug log is needed like:
1) enable debug 2) play video file 3) pause 4) enable subtitle 5) resume video 6) upload log

OK, will do that.

Thanks
ramon zarat

Post by ramon zarat »

Tested all over again, each with fresh install in their own separate folders:

Working:

T3CH SVN 31107
3.5B1
3.5B2
3.5B3
3.5B4

NOT working:

3.5RC1
3.5RC2
3.5 Final

Something went wrong after 3.5B4... Tried to replicate working RC2 by installing on top of T3CH SVN 311007 and it didn't work. It must be because I only downloaded RC2 but never installed it and went straight to 3.5 Final. Sorry for this confusion.

The included XBMC log is from the same video file as the original Mediainfo I uploaded. It's from a 3.5 Final fresh install.

[admin: please do not attach logs to the forum - instructions on submitting logs is clearly stated in http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... p?f=6&t=65)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

thanks. good to know. I may have somehow caused ssa/ass subs to be no longer handled by ffmpeg and to use the external library (which isn't working yet). I'll be looking into it. thanks.
ramon zarat

Post by ramon zarat »

I know the default answer is: "it will be ready when it will be ready", but just in case you already have a target release date, do you know approximately when the 3.5.1 fix will be available?

Otherwise this thread can be locked now, nothing else to add on this topic.

Ramon
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I don't. Go with the default answer. :)

no need to lock the topic.
ramon zarat

Post by ramon zarat »

BuZz wrote:I don't. Go with the default answer.
LOL! :D Fair enough! Will stay on 3.5B4 until 3.5.1 is available.

Thanks again,
Ramon