XBOXHDM 2.2

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
thedudeman69

XBOXHDM 2.2

Post by thedudeman69 »

Hello all, I got my system softmodded today. Now I want to upgrade the hard drive. Does anyone have experience using xboxhdm 2.2 or another program that can boot from usb? I think my PC only has 1 IDE port currently used by my CD drive.
blighty

Re: XBOXHDM 2.2

Post by blighty »

Did the CD drive have to be on a separate ide to the hdd then? I don't remember that.
asbo

Post by asbo »

I remember the last motherboard I had that had an IDE port could only support one IDE device, I'm not sure why, I guess it was the manufacturers idea of gradually phasing it out. I've kept an old PC for use with XBOXHDM 1.9 and I've not tried 2.2, so sorry I can't help.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

asbo wrote:I've kept an old PC for use with XBOXHDM 1.9 and I've not tried 2.2, so sorry I can't help.
Ditto. Sorry.
thedudeman69

Post by thedudeman69 »

Good point. I'm not sure if my PC mobo would support multiple IDE devices off the same cable. Have to check. Thanks!
thedudeman69

Post by thedudeman69 »

Another question guys. I'm out of blank CDs. Will XBOXHDM 1.9 work with a burned DVD iso? I know I know, I'm high maintenance :) If not, I'll just get a CD when I get to town again. Cheers!
asbo

Post by asbo »

thedudeman69 wrote:Will XBOXHDM 1.9 work with a burned DVD iso?
Yes it should do.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

thedudeman69 wrote:Another question guys. I'm out of blank CDs. Will XBOXHDM 1.9 work with a burned DVD iso?
It works with whatever media works in your PC's CD/DVD drive (not XBOX :-) ).
xboxprince

Post by xboxprince »

just use chimp 2.4
project media center "part one" (working progress): 6tb trusty 1.4ghz + 128mb v1.4 Xbox water cooled pc case with xenium ice, LCD, HDMI out and optical out.
thedudeman69

Post by thedudeman69 »

I was avoiding Chimp because it requires a hotswap right?
thedudeman69

Post by thedudeman69 »

Also, I forgot my CD drive is SATA, so I can't use the disc method with xboxhm 1.9 anyway.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

I have experience with it.

I used 2.2b or something. It had a letter after the version number. What's your question?

The only problem I anticipate somebody can have is with their PC's BIOS not loading the bootable USB correctly. This could be due to the BIOS itself or how the bootable USB is created.

IIRC, I used LinuxLive (LiLi) USB Creator to make my bootable USB disk with XboxHDM on it.
thedudeman69

Post by thedudeman69 »

Ok thanks fxmech. I just wanted to be sure someone had actually done it before. I couldn't find any info on successful drive upgrades with the latest version of 2.2: http://theisozone.com/downloads/xbox/to ... b-edition/. I'm downloading now and will update you guys on progress. Thanks again!
thedudeman69

Post by thedudeman69 »

Well, I followed the directions provided here http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php? ... a-release/ but I get the "missing operating system" error on my BIOS when it tried to boot from the USB key. Does the USB key have to be in a specific format before I copy the xboxhdm files over to the USB key? I'm using a 16GB USB key, not sure if that matters.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

It is not enough just to copy over the files.

I can't locate my HDM files for testing, but you need to use a tool that will make the drive bootable.

Try LiLi USB Creator or UNetBootin, both of which are freeware.

These tools are both meant for making bootable USB disks with ISO or whatever. You just need to skip all the preparation except one step and that's modifying the drive to be bootable.

The USB version of HDM might even come with a tool. I recall some readme or documentation on it touching on the subject. I'm not sure what it refers to worked for me, but I did get it working at one time.

I'm sorry I can't say definitively how I did it. When I first tried it long ago I had nothing but problems. Then some changes were made (I think 2.2a was released). I tried it again only to find my PC at the time did not support it. Now it works on my newest PC.
xboxprince

Post by xboxprince »

thedudeman69 wrote:I was avoiding Chimp because it requires a hotswap right?
yeah but its really simple and quick
project media center "part one" (working progress): 6tb trusty 1.4ghz + 128mb v1.4 Xbox water cooled pc case with xenium ice, LCD, HDMI out and optical out.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

make-iso.bat

Your 2.2a hdm will have it somewhere.

Once you have the .iso prepared, run LiLi USB Creator. It is freeware for Windows. For other systems try UNetBootin (also available on Windows).

Load up the .iso and select the USB device to prepare. Play around with it, there are a couple of settings to go over in each of these tools.

It will then configure your drive to a Bootable drive and place the files from the extracted .iso.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

thedudeman69 wrote:Also, I forgot my CD drive is SATA, so I can't use the disc method with xboxhm 1.9 anyway.
Can you explain why this is a problem.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

There were versions past that didn't support anything besides hda, as opposed to sda in the devices that were mounted