SATA Adaptor Compatibility thread

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
fxmech

Re: SATA Adaptor Compatibility thread

Post by fxmech »

... I'm afraid there's no way to easily unlock it.

It is possible, mind you. I had read somewhere of a place that provides that service but it was ~$50 USD.

I bet some penetration tools (Kali Linux) will help. Possible solution is a "bruteforce" crack of the HDD key.

I'm not qualified to speculate further
garet74

Post by garet74 »

i'm buying an ide hard drive of about 750 gbyte..this is the best solution i found..after about 2 years of problems over problems with this shit adapters that works well for two weeks and after don't works at all.i have buyed 4 adapter the first works well for 6 months after other 2 that works for two weeks,all red ,and the last i buyed, i say ,not red ,i'll take one green ,for change,and it won't works at all.stop...i return at my ide classic and put all this shit in the trash..the place where have to stay..sorry..this is my opinion after 2 years of trouble..
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

garet74 wrote:i'm buying an ide hard drive of about 750 gbyte..this is the best solution i found..after about 2 years of problems over problems with this shit adapters that works well for two weeks and after don't works at all.i have buyed 4 adapter the first works well for 6 months after other 2 that works for two weeks,all red ,and the last i buyed, i say ,not red ,i'll take one green ,for change,and it won't works at all.stop...i return at my ide classic and put all this shit in the trash..the place where have to stay..sorry..this is my opinion after 2 years of trouble..
Don't be sorry. People have different experiences.
I prefer the stability and reliability of native IDE drives too, so that's all I ever fit. 750GB drives are the biggest you can get, and they're expensive, but I find it's worth it for the lack of finger-crossing needed.
This does not mean there aren't plenty of people who have found satisfactory SATA disc solutions, with many of them successfully using 2TB drives.
jezj

Post by jezj »

Managed to fine a place eventually with SATA adapters that work on a 2TB Seagate. Cheap as well..... ordered 4 and they all work great. Used a bit of thin foam though as it is close to touching the HDD when fitted just to be on the safe side.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SATA-Gre ... 77010.html

$2.96 each so a bargain.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks for posting ;-) , do you use 80 pin leads or 40 ,?
jezj

Post by jezj »

80, it doesn't detect the drive if I use a 40
Oldxboxusa

Post by Oldxboxusa »

xman wrote: Image
I have exactly this one and it works, but only with a 80pin IDE Cable.
Got this now with a 2,5" Apple HDD.
The Only Thing i figured out is, that the boot time is a few seconds later.
I haven't soldering a bridge between the two Capacitors.
The solution for me was:
On the PC side low level format the HDD - in the xbox it must be recognize as a new hdd. Other Partitions doesn't work.
Than Use a Boot CD (slayers not working by me - i use a cd named X-World Disc - a little older than other discs but for the first format it works).
Then use XBPartitioner 1.3 and Partitioning the Disc how it must be.
Since that all works fine.
xman

Post by xman »

Oldxboxusa wrote:
xman wrote: Image
I have exactly this one and it works, but only with a 80pin IDE Cable.
Got this now with a 2,5" Apple HDD.
The Only Thing i figured out is, that the boot time is a few seconds later.
I haven't soldering a bridge between the two Capacitors.
The solution for me was:
On the PC side low level format the HDD - in the xbox it must be recognize as a new hdd. Other Partitions doesn't work.
Than Use a Boot CD (slayers not working by me - i use a cd named X-World Disc - a little older than other discs but for the first format it works).
Then use XBPartitioner 1.3 and Partitioning the Disc how it must be.
Since that all works fine.
Which part did I write?. :shock:

That is my picture and if you have that exact same IDE /Sata bridge that one being a Revision 3.1 in the picture, you most certainly do not need to solder in caps or use an 80 wire cable or connect any of the links. They work straight out of the box as is providing you marry them up to a Seagate 1 or 2TB sata HDD. Then the Slayer's disc will format it for you in the Xbox itself and then you use XbPt to alter the cluster sizes on F and G drives to 64k and you are done. If mine is anything to go by, it will continue working fault free for 5 years. Just to make absolutely sure throw in an Aladdin modchip running an M8 bios and you have exactly the same setup as I have done many times over.
Oldxboxusa

Post by Oldxboxusa »

Xman I don't have a Aladdin I've got a smartxx v3. When I fire my box up with slayers, in the format menu the screen stucks. And when I will use xbpartitioner nothing happens. I think I had misunderstood that these are not working. I will test it at evening if it works with my modded 4 connector ide cable or with another. I think that's a problem with the apple hdd.
ok my fault my broken one was a 3.1. now its a 1.0.
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Dont suppose anyone has seen 80 pin Ultra ATA IDE cables for sale recently? - I've been looking at ebay in the UK and they're mostly the short 45cm ones which are no good... need a 60cm one really.... bit thin on the ground these days... :(
clabs

Post by clabs »

Geeba wrote:Dont suppose anyone has seen 80 pin Ultra ATA IDE cables for sale recently? - I've been looking at ebay in the UK and they're mostly the short 45cm ones which are no good... need a 60cm one really.... bit thin on the ground these days... :(
Geeba

These are the ones I used last time. They ain't the cheapest and are 70cm but they do the job and are good quality:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... ge_o08_s00
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

There are a few on the Maplin website , there looks like there's a £3.00 one that would fit the bill :-)
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Cheers fellas!
donmega

Post by donmega »

Just did a 1.5 tb setup with this converter
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 000D-00002
Works well, also has nice bright blue and purple led lights on the board. Its name is the Agestar STI-2.
MrMajst3r

Post by MrMajst3r »

The same converter is available on DealExtreme:
http://www.dx.com/p/sata-to-pata-adapte ... RXd5-FqggU

It is better quality than cheap Chinese ones. Works well with every HDD, I recommend it.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

donmega

Post by donmega »

Also for those that locked their sata hdd's in the process of upgrading with a non compatible adapter here is the fix. This is assuming you used chimp but also works for the stock ide segate hdd's that came in the xbox. Oh and i guess if you had an upgraded ide hdd in there like i did 750gb this works for that as well im poping mine into my ps2.

Credit goes to hdkiller, I think that's the persons handle......
A lot of people refer to a utility called ATAPWD. I must say that there is much better alternative: MHDD. This tool is VERY powerful, but be careful with it! Better read the doc..

Anyway. Run it, select your locked drive, then type the following command: ID. It should give you some information about your HDD, and if it is locked then you will see corresponding message.

Now type UNLOCK and press enter.
Program will ask you if you want to use master password or user password. Enter 1 here.

Now it asks you to enter the password. Now please note: you have only 5 tries! You have to re-power the drive after every 5 tries. So, now enter the password. It is one of the following (type exactly as shown here):

Seagate (and after this word type 25 spaces. Yes, press your space key twenty five times).
XBOXSCENE
TEAMASSEMBLY

You will have to try all of them. After you enter a password and press Enter, look at the very first line of your monitor (ERR, INDEX, DREQ, BUSY, etc). If 'ERR' is NOT RED, then you did it! You found the password! Now, there is the second step

Type DISPWD and press enter
Choose master password again by entering "1"
Enter your password once again.

Now the drive is unlocked.

If this failed, then there is another way.

If doing a chimp locked drive the password should be XBOXSCENE or TEAMASSEMBLY . For those unsure of doing this i recommend removing all other hdd's from the comp you intend on using, so as to leave only the xbox drive visible in mhdd.

link to guide

http://www.seagateunlock.com/

Oh also that adapter i posted that worked required a 80pin ide cable.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

A seller on ebay, partsdomauction sells a really reliable SATA to IDE adapter. They have always been quick and reliable. $4.96 + free shipping each.
nigelp12345

Post by nigelp12345 »

anyone tried this adapter out from this site? http://usb.brando.com/sata-to-ide-mini- ... 2d015.html
https://n163lph03n1x.artstation.com/
Gamer Tag PS3/Xbox360: N163LPH03N1X
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

Does chimp work for chipped/TSOP modded Xbox's?