Xbox Softmod HDD upgrade

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
an1dr2ew3

Xbox Softmod HDD upgrade

Post by an1dr2ew3 »

Hi Guys, long time no speak :)

At the weekend I used the HEXEN disc to try and upgrade a friends HDD. When the process had finished and I put the larger HDD into the xbox it came up with error 06 which reading up online indicted that it was locked but locked to another xbox? I have no idea what went wrong and I was just hoping someone could enlighten me so it doesn't happen again.

Thanks is advance for your advice - Andrew
blighty

Re: Xbox Softmod HDD upgrade

Post by blighty »

if you used the correct eeprom for the xbox then it shouldn't happen.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

Yep, most likely you locked it with the eeprom file of another xbox. Did you use xboxhdm to build the hard disc?
an1dr2ew3

Post by an1dr2ew3 »

Hi Guys, thanks for replying. That's the problem I used the hexen disc and nothing else it was used in the one and only xbox and I can only presume the xbox pulled the wrong eeprom somehow?
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

Okay, time to stop the assumptions. Explain the exact procedure you went through to change the HDD. As much detail as possible please.
an1dr2ew3

Post by an1dr2ew3 »

Okie Kokie :)

I softmodded the Xbox using the SID 5.1 files I had on a memory card and the splinter cell disc. Once the xbox had been softmodded I inserted the Hexen disc and used the option to upgrade the HDD under the softmod section, I forget the exact name but is it LDXM or something? unplugged the serial cable out of the stock HDD and put in a 160GB Seagate HDD which had external power going to it. followed the process and the xbox said that it had been modded. It then asked me to back up the EEPROM to E and lock the HDD, which I did. I then unplugged everything and put the new HDD in only to get the error message. I have tried everything to unlock it but I think its now a 160GB paperweight/doorstop! I just dont want to waste another HDD going through the same process.
blighty

Post by blighty »

I found this Guide for Sid 5, maybe this might help:

Code: Select all

http://media.tasiocarlsen.com/xbox/Softmod.Installer.Deluxe.v5.01.Manual.pdf
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

an1dr2ew3 wrote:I softmodded the Xbox using the SID 5.1 files I had on a memory card and the splinter cell disc. Once the xbox had been softmodded I inserted the Hexen disc and used the option to upgrade the HDD under the softmod section, I forget the exact name but is it LDXM or something? unplugged the serial cable out of the stock HDD and put in a 160GB Seagate HDD which had external power going to it. followed the process and the xbox said that it had been modded. It then asked me to back up the EEPROM to E and lock the HDD, which I did. I then unplugged everything and put the new HDD in only to get the error message.
Okay, it's picked up the wrong disc locking values (EEPROM file) from somewhere, but I can't help any more than that since:
- I've never tried to use HeXEn to do anything complex with a SID5 softmodded box other than replacing the softmod with Krayzie (in fact I switched from SID/AID to softmodding using Krayzie/HeXEn some years ago because it's more buffoon-proof), and
- I've never (successfully) used LXHDM - I always use XBOXHDM, mostly because I understand it and it's reliable, for me.
Sorry.
Someone else might be able to point out how the wrong EEPROM has been picked up with your chosen route, and thereby help recover your paperweight.
blighty

Post by blighty »

Makes me wonder if it'll boot in your buddy's Xbox :/ Might be worth a shot & unlock it on that if so.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

blighty wrote:Makes me wonder if it'll boot in your buddy's Xbox :/ Might be worth a shot & unlock it on that if so.
At no point in the thread has the OP indicated that more than one xbox (i.e. his friend's) is involved in this upgrade, so I read it that the large HDD gives error 6 on the one and only xbox, i.e. his friend's. If that's wrong then we can start exploring more and maybe I can offer advice.
an1dr2ew3

Post by an1dr2ew3 »

No, your right dice museum no other xbox was used. I am guessing but I don't know how but it appears that SID has pulled/created one eeprom an incorrect one and when hexen has pulled the fake eeprom it has locked it using the incorrect one. My plan is and I do hope this works to after I have softmodded with SID re softmod with hexen saving the eeprom with hexen and it all should marry up I hope anyway
blighty

Post by blighty »

Sorry, I've been reading the op wrong the whole time! XD
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

an1dr2ew3 wrote:No, your right dice museum no other xbox was used. I am guessing but I don't know how but it appears that SID has pulled/created one eeprom an incorrect one and when hexen has pulled the fake eeprom it has locked it using the incorrect one. My plan is and I do hope this works to after I have softmodded with SID re softmod with hexen saving the eeprom with hexen and it all should marry up I hope anyway
What I would do here is to do NO MORE MODDING until I had a better understanding of the situation.
Put the original hard disc back in, connect it up to a PC with an ethernet cable (via a router or directly using a crossover cable) and start exploring its file system using an FTP client (like Filezilla or FlashFXP) looking for any and all eeprom.bin files. What type of SID did you do? Did it involve shadowC / Virtual C, virtual EEPROM ? If so, you may need to boot your installer disc in order to see the real EEPROM and/or C drive contents.
ldotsfan

Post by ldotsfan »

HeXEN disc will bypass shadowC/virtual EEPROM protection of SID5.

Is this a 1.6 xbox? I'm the originator of lxhdm that used in HEXEn disc thought Heimdall's implementation used Evox for hdd locking. I would have preferred use of ConfigMagic over Evox's locking as I suspected a bug in EvoX's locking code during the development of lxhdm: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php? ... ?p=4298622

You can try using chimp2618 to use this master password: TEAMASSEMBLY to do unlocking of the large hdd. http://www.emuxtras.net/forum/viewtopic ... 191&t=2133. If you have access to a PC with IDE, MHDD/HDAT2 will work too.
Ldotsfan :)