xbox360 dvd drive in xbox classic

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
garet74

xbox360 dvd drive in xbox classic

Post by garet74 »

my xbox dvd drive is dead and today i pass my time looking to buy one on internet and i see that i can't be able to find one then i look at the rear of the drive of the xbox360 and i see that it has the same connector of the xbox drive..but it is sata..what do you think about?it's possible that i connect a 360 drive with a converter and it works?or it is a bad idea?
professor_jonny

Re: xbox360 dvd drive in xbox classic

Post by professor_jonny »

No it wont work.

Make it a slim :-)
there is plenty of guides around
xman

Post by xman »

Agreed, slim and it looks better to. Just try cleaning the laser before you declare it dead though. Only ever had a couple I couldn't recover simply by cleaning or tweaking.
garet74

Post by garet74 »

Yes i like very much the slim xbox but how can i reinstall the media center without DVD drive?because my hard drive Now it's empty.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

a) FAT32 formatted USB drive (max 4GB).
b) Ethernet FTP.
garet74

Post by garet74 »

can you explane me pls..how can i use usb?and...how can i ftp if my drive it's empty?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Is your Xbox chipped or softmodded?
garet74

Post by garet74 »

i have an x3 but i can't ftp..why i don't know..filezilla send me an error of timeout,probably because i have formatted the drive with the x3 config live..
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

To use usb you need either a ready made cable with an Xbox plug on one end and usb female on the other or you can make one easy just get an old controller that is broken if you have one and a usb female, leave a bit of length strip the outer black cable and join the inner coloured ones together with cable crimps or similar, it looks a bit messy but works a treat.
You really need to get ftp working as it makes things easier IMO. Can you boot in to unleashx or something like that?
garet74

Post by garet74 »

i have the cable,but how can i boot from usb?i have nothing installed on the hard disk so i can't boot nothing..my xbox is dead..i have another question..if i boot with another hard disk and i start xbpartitioner and after that i connect my new hard disk is possible that it works?this evening i look..what do you think about?
blighty

Post by blighty »

You can use xboxhdm to build a working Hdd for your xbox and go from there..
garet74

Post by garet74 »

thanks a lot friends :) this evening i take a look at this and i think that solved my problem:)
garet74

Post by garet74 »

ehm...where can i find a good tutorial on how i have to use xboxhdm 2.1?i take a look at varius tutorial but i don't find one for the 2.1 release and i don't know how to proceed.
i have copied all the content of the folder xboxhdm to the root of my flash drive,after i have used usb boot utilities,after that i have used the grab4dos installer,copied my c and e folder to the folder c and e in the hdm folder and i think that what i have done is right..but my pc wont boot..i think i have lost a passage or i have done somethings wrong ,i don't know.any help were more appreciated..sorry for terrible english i have used..
blighty

Post by blighty »

Cant say I've ever used 2.1 but i know 1.9 could be fussy with newer computers and i never tried to use it with a sata drive although I cant see that being a big issue.

nothing on youtube?

I never even knew they made a usb edition! http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php? ... b-edition/
garet74

Post by garet74 »

I do,i have used another PC and it boots fine,with slax,beautiful and very fast,but Now what i have to' do?i think i have to run xboxhdm but how?i never ever used Linux first,the tutorial that i have seen shows only how to' boot,anyone that can help me pls?
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

garat:

I'll be doing a XBOXHDM using a similar environment you describe [from USB]. I thought it was xboxhdm v2.2a from memory. I'm not searching it cause I don't think it matters too much.

IIRC the process is described somewhat well in the included docs -- but not all the new interface stuff on Slax. I remember being pleasantly surprised with it. I booted Slax and somewhere in the process it was able to load WINE to lock the drive. No rebooting, no fuss. Any IDE (primary or secondary, master or slave) is supported in the version I used.

If you haven't already figured it out by now, I'll post back when I get around to pulling the extra pin out of my PATA/SATA adapter... >_<

If my adapter still works after that surgery I'll let you know soon. Otherwise I'm waiting on a few more from china - so 2 weeks or so before I mess with it.
garet74

Post by garet74 »

my problem ,at the end was the adapter of the hard drive that it doesn't works fine and then i have putted it in the trash for installing a 750 gb IDE hard drive that works like a charm..and that solve all of my problem,probably caused by the drive with the adapter,with xboxhdm i have one pc that boots fine but it see the hard drive like the 4 master,and xboxkdm works only with primary and secondary master slave..i don't know why but this is my problem,and the the other pc that i have that it is full of ide connector empty be happy to have my hard disk connected won't boot , i have tried all th possyble combination but it won't boot..the end of my use of hdm..