User Opinions: Which buttons to use in standard keymap

General discussion relating to XBMC4XBOX. Please use the support forums for help on using the software or plugins.
tim619

User Opinions: Which buttons to use in standard keymap

Post by tim619 »

Hey guys,

as discussed here I'm not happy about the keymap settings when browsing in movies library mode.
The problem is that there is only one button not used (black button) so only one function could be set to this button in this view. The function set to this
button is remove movie from library. In my opinion most of us would prefer (resp. much more often use) the function "Movie information". So my idea was to
set the black button in this view to "Movie information". Buzz wasn't sure changing would be good and suggested to ask users. So please say and discuss what
you prefer and why.

In my opinion also "Mark as (un)watched" should become a button if possible and is also more often used than "Remove from library".

Here are some pics to see what view I mean.
Dan Dar3

Re: User Opinions: Which buttons to use in standard keymap

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@tim619
Direct buttons should always go for quick and common actions - since there's only one button available I would incline to go for "Movie Information".
Anything else that's not as often used should go into the "context menu".

PS: just to say that I don't advocate for removing directly accessible functions like "Movie information" from the context menu, as not everyone knows all button functions and being in the context menu makes them always accessible and allows them to learn the direct buttons with time.

PPS: As mostly a media user when it comes to XBMC4Xbox I would warmly recommend in investing in a Xbox DVD Remote - it's much easier to use and it already has buttons for common functions, e.g. "Info" button for "Movie information". It fits much better in your hand and it makes a lot of sense for media use.
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/XBOX_D ... l_Controls
tim619

Post by tim619 »

Thanks for your answer. If I understand correct you'd also prefer movie information as action for the black button.
I also agree with not removing it from context menu.

In fact I have an official MS Remote Kit but it doesn't work, maybe the infrared sensor is damaged...
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Well, I just tried to give you my opinion as a user and a project member really - wait for others to have their say to get a more complete picture.

I don't use the game controller on a daily basis because I can do all I need with the DVD Remote - I would bring the hardware issue on the Xbox Modding forum, I'm sure one of our good friends with hardware knowledge would have some suggestions on how to fix it.
tim619

Post by tim619 »

Nobody else having an opinion to that keymap setting?
Dom DXecutioner

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

Can't fix what isn't broken! Because we have a small user base, most are content with the way things are, thus you will get little to no response.

I for one have no issues with the way things are and I know where the keymap xml is in case in want to change it... No need to change the defaults!
xman

Post by xman »

Why is there only one button or is that a Library function and I don't have the issue using Files mode for my movies?. I am quite used to bringing up the movie info via a button myself, I think it is the white button and the black button brings up the popup window and from there I have Delete, rename, etc. Personally I think it is logical to have two steps required for deleting something like a full movie but that may just be me along with my preference of using File Mode over Library mode. Don't get me wrong, I do occasionally use Library mode for looking for a particular genre but most time I just run File mode and have the content organized in Date Added so all the new uploaded movies are displayed first and the older content is displayed last. Would be good if I could organize the File Manager Movie Content in this fashion and then it would be nice and easy to delete old content from customer's machines this way rather than needing to go through there movie list via the Movie's File Mode, then hit the black button then navigate to the delete and then return back to the next movie and repeat this process again. To make that more understandable, give the File Manager the ability to sort content by date and not just alphabetically as it does now.