Need a BIOS

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
kolosus

Need a BIOS

Post by kolosus »

There's many BIOS that's easily accessible. But I'm trying to get a BIOS that I can modify in XBtool.

I dont want the flubber animation at the beginning. I want LBA support. I'd like to modify the X logo colors but not exactly necessary. Anyone point me in the right direction?

I have Hiemdall and Slayers. Getting a kernel error when loading different BIOS. Only one that isn't giving me an error is the 4981 x2 BIOS but that doesn't have LBA support and apparently I cant put it in.
xman

Re: Need a BIOS

Post by xman »

I'm having troubles understanding your issues. I use the M8 bioses straight off the Slayer's 2.7 disc and have never had an issue. I use those bioses on HDDs from 500Gb up to 2TB, again, never had an issue. The M8 bioses on the Slayer's disc already have the flubber gone. I have modded the bioses I use but that is solely to remove the DVD check feature. I'm thinking your issues your experiencing are more to do with the adapter, if your using one, or the HDD itself. Please give us a bit more information as I'm really interested in your problems your having.
And if you want to mod an M8 bios you would use EvTool which works and looks virtually the same as XBTool.
asbo

Post by asbo »

XBTool has never worked for me so that's probably your problem, use EVtool as xman has said :)
allahandro

Post by allahandro »

Use Ind-5003 it comes with an editor and has all the tweaks you can shake a stick at. Some people don't like it because of the in game reset issues, but it is possible to disable that, I always use ind-5003 pushing the power button to rest is not a big deal to me.
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

EVtool = M8+
XBtool = X2 (Until 4981, NOT working after this version due to the encryption (or something like that) they used.)
XBtool work perfectly fine with 4981 and older. 4983+ cannot be edited with XBtool. There is an XBE app you can run on Xbox to change some 4983 settings.

X2 is a better choice than M8+ because team-xecuter had a much better programer team (and they still do in 2014 with the 360) and they worked a lot more on their BIOS than others.
Me and BuZz are strongly recommending to use an X2 BIOS.

I love iND-BiOS too, but sadly button combos (reset, turn off, eject) cannot be turned off.
So if the Xbox is used for emulation a lot, its a no go.
allahandro

Post by allahandro »

The in game reset combos in IND-5003 can be turned off. If you use the auto config program they won't turn off but you can edit the config file that is produced manually. You can open it in wordpad and find the line for in game reset and change the number to zero. I've been using it that way for years and it works great with all my emulators.
kolosus

Post by kolosus »

Sorry guys. Have been busy last few days. That's the way the xbox goes. Only have time to pay attention every few days or worse.

Years ago I made a BIOS using one of the available programs. Not sure which one I used but it boots up using no flubber. The X colors has been modified to fit my color tastes and it accepts LBA. Meaning the formatting that I do with XBpartitioner is good and it is seen by XBMC.

The 4891 (I think, it's definitely an x2 and from the Slayer's disk) that I have doesn't have the flubber but it doesn't support LBA. After C and E the rest of the drive is dedicated to F. Rather have a F and a G.

The hard drives that I have a 500gb IDE drives. No adapter in use.

The question at this point is why not take the BIOS of my existing xbox and flash it to my others? Well the one that I have is a 1.4 but the back ups that Evolution makes is 1mb. Which in itself is not a problem. I'm aware that the backups are always 1mb. The problem is splitting it reliably.

I have a bunch of BIOSes on the xbox's hard drive that I'm happy with and I've tried to guess which BIOS is the right BIOS. Unfortunately by playing this guessing game I've incorrectly flashed 2 xboxes and they are without BIOS now. I want to revive them somehow... but that's another story. Wish there was some chip that I could get where I boot up the xbox and flash the TSOP somehow and then remove the modchip. Or something along those lines.
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

allahandro wrote:The in game reset combos in IND-5003 can be turned off. If you use the auto config program they won't turn off but you can edit the config file that is produced manually. You can open it in wordpad and find the line for in game reset and change the number to zero. I've been using it that way for years and it works great with all my emulators.
The problem is not IGR it self! Actually most people want and need IGR!
The following cannot be turned off individually from IGR (without turning IGR off):
  • Shutdown (Triggers + Back + White)
  • Tray Eject (Triggers + Right Thumb + Dpad UP)
  • Tray Close (Triggers + Right Thumb + Dpad DOWN)
  • Power Cycle (Triggers + Back + X + Black)
Those cause extra problem with emulators, MAMEoX, CoinOPS. I can't remember more but there is.
kolosus wrote:The 4891 (I think, it's definitely an x2 and from the Slayer's disk) that I have doesn't have the flubber but it doesn't support LBA. After C and E the rest of the drive is dedicated to F. Rather have a F and a G.
4981.06_256k.bin = F
4981.67_256k.bin = F + G

F+G does not make any sense with a HDD smaller than 1TB, from a data management point of view.
kolosus wrote:The question at this point is why not take the BIOS of my existing xbox and flash it to my others? Well the one that I have is a 1.4 but the back ups that Evolution makes is 1mb. Which in itself is not a problem. I'm aware that the backups are always 1mb. The problem is splitting it reliably.
I would tend to recommend a fresh BIOS.
Be carful with those. Never slice a BIOS smaller than is original size. (ex: do not slice X2 5035 to 256KB!)
http://www.xbox-scene.com/tools/tools.p ... klPoFjoMxA
or
http://xbox-scene.com/articles/split-bios.php

If its M8+ or X2 4981 and older, you can open it in EVtool / XBtool and select the size you want.
kolosus wrote:I have a bunch of BIOSes on the xbox's hard drive that I'm happy with and I've tried to guess which BIOS is the right BIOS. Unfortunately by playing this guessing game I've incorrectly flashed 2 xboxes and they are without BIOS now. I want to revive them somehow... but that's another story. Wish there was some chip that I could get where I boot up the xbox and flash the TSOP somehow and then remove the modchip. Or something along those lines.
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... f=13&t=433

http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/tsop.php

http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/repair-tsop.php

If you flashed a BIOS of the wrong size (ie: flashed a 256KB BIOS on a 1MB TSOP), the 3 wire trick might save it.
http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/ComaConsole.htm
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Xphazer wrote:
allahandro wrote:The in game reset combos in IND-5003 can be turned off. If you use the auto config program they won't turn off but you can edit the config file that is produced manually. You can open it in wordpad and find the line for in game reset and change the number to zero. I've been using it that way for years and it works great with all my emulators.
The problem is not IGR it self! Actually most people want and need IGR!
The following cannot be turned off individually from IGR (without turning IGR off):
  • Shutdown (Triggers + Back + White)
  • Tray Eject (Triggers + Right Thumb + Dpad UP)
  • Tray Close (Triggers + Right Thumb + Dpad DOWN)
  • Power Cycle (Triggers + Back + X + Black)
Those cause extra problem with emulators, MAMEoX, CoinOPS. I can't remember more but there is.
Missed two
  • Soft reset to dashboard (Triggers + Back + Black)
  • Restart current disc (Triggers + Back + start)
As for the IGR issues with emulators this was due to a bug in Ind-bios 5003 with shutdown combo (Back + White) it would turn your system off when you tried to access mame setting. (Back + White)

This was fixed in the ind-bios5004 (February beta) & there are no known issues with that bios. This bios no one seems to use, even though it fixed the shutdown bug & never introduced any other bugs. (Been rocking it for a very long time & never had one issue)

Also never import your config into the ind-bios. I bricked two Xbox's doing this. (Tsop flash & tried on a second one, because I thought I may have done something wrong, but nup, bricked the second one to. I can live with the ind-bios txt & a 1 second wait)
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

Xphazer wrote: 4981.06_256k.bin = F
4981.67_256k.bin = F + G

F+G does not make any sense with a HDD smaller than 1TB, from a data management point of view.
A subtle but important difference is that the cluster size can be smaller if you deploy F + G configuration, thereby wasting less disc space when you have lots of files.
kolosus

Post by kolosus »

Thanks for your help and suggestions guys.

I've taken the latest (I think) version of M8plus and modded it in EVtool. Worked fine and I've a working 256k bios that's good.

I've flashed it on my surviving xboxes.

I still have a 1.0 and a 1.4/5 both with Winbond tsop that's dead (bad flash). I've been thinking of reviving them with a modchip but haven't done anything about them yet. Given that I've a few working and the modchips are hard to find and expensive I'll probably let them die out.

I should try the 3 wire trick on the 1.0 but unsure about the procedure and cant seem to locate directions for it. I know google should be good to locate it but I'm a bit short on time.

My xbox(es) live on...
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

kolosus wrote:I still have a 1.0 ... with Winbond tsop that's dead (bad flash). I've been thinking of reviving them with a modchip but haven't done anything about them yet. Given that I've a few working and the modchips are hard to find and expensive I'll probably let them die out.

I should try the 3 wire trick on the 1.0 but unsure about the procedure and cant seem to locate directions for it.
http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/multibios-tsop.php