CoinOPS

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
kolosus

CoinOPS

Post by kolosus »

I've got 3 xboxes going at my house. All of them are TSOP flashed. One in the dining room. One in the bedroom. The last one is sitting around collecting dust. All of them have XBMC as the start up dashboard. I've been thinking of turning xbox #3 into an emulator/gaming xbox.

I've been looking at how to do this and I'll be using CoinOPS. It has the most games and is the easiest to just throw on the xbox and have it running.

How do I go about getting the latest CoinOPS? They have a website/forum but information is scarce and registration for their forum is closed. I found a torrent for "CoinOPS 6 full" but apparently that's not actually full. It is an incremental upgrade. All the roms are there but something from another build (not specified what or the build number) is needed to make it complete.

So. Anyone have an insight into what's needed to get this thing going? I'd like the latest version to throw on this game xbox that I'm making since I'll likely not going to be keeping up with the upgrades. For a point of reference, I have the whole of CoinOPS 2 and haven't really upgraded since then.

I'd like to get an idea of what I'll be doing etc since the torrent that I found is over 60gb in size. Rather know what I'm going to be doing with it before I get it than get it and have no idea what to do with it.
spinnersp

Re: CoinOPS

Post by spinnersp »

you can download the full,then just get the latest update,r10,r11, etc ,which ever its up to now. Then after ftping the full to the xbox,just ftp the latest(r) over it,no need to do all updates, and youll be good to go.There are smaller versions of coinops available with less roms
tim619

Post by tim619 »

If you wanted to get CoinOPS 6 gold you would type in google

Code: Select all

coinops 6 gold abelhas pt
for getting CoinOPS 6 Lite typing

Code: Select all

coinops 6 lite abelhas pt
would link you right.

You maybe have to register freely to have access to this.
avant

Post by avant »

Full, lite, and Gold are builds with a set number of games already included. Full has ~4000 games and is 60ish gigs compressed, Gold is 20GB compressed, and lite is 5GB compressed.

However it's easiest just to grab the latest release, currently R13 and then add the games you want. You just use games from existing rom sets and give them a file name as described in the supported game list, and save the file in the location stated in the readme. if you like video previews you can make those easily by capturing game footage from an emulator or downloading a video from youtube and convert it to the xmv format.

most people will have their own custom install they made themselves. so you won't have a definite answer on what size or how many games there are. it's possible to add almost 30,000 games to CoinOPS. My install is just short of 17,000 and runs to about 350GB in size. I made about 3000 of the video previews myself. Since I'm quite into this retro hobby I have indulged in creating 2 minute long previews at 720p resolution. However those with smaller harddrives can make 5 second videos and save a lot of hd space. You can also find packs of games that others have already made and shared with other collaborators. However since each person will have different quality standards I prefer to make my own packs for the systems I'm keen on.

also keep in mind that an xbox or psx game will be much larger than a zx spectrum game, so each person's installation will vary based on what their favourite systems are.

you can find lots of information by searching using Google, but it's best to start with the files in the CoinOPS readme folder.
kolosus

Post by kolosus »

Avant. Thanks for the bulk of good information. Wish there was a simpler answer. Something like get Part A. Merge Part C into Part A. FTP into Xbox. Enjoy for another 3 years.

I have a few 500gb hard drives. I'll see if I can make something of this...

I liked spinner's approach. I'm going to give it a shot.

BTW. The lite fits in the factory hard drive. Right? But what's the Gold version?

PS: I think I just got a hold of a 1.0 box today. Haven't gotten home to see what it is yet.
avant

Post by avant »

there is a simple answer, just use the latest coinops (currently v6 R13) and build your own installation with just the games you want. why worry about full, lite, and gold when you can just put in the games you want yourself, matching your own preferences and suiting your hard-drive size? All the info you need can be found via google...