Unleashed X Emulator ICONs

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
wchusky

Unleashed X Emulator ICONs

Post by wchusky »

Wondering if anyone can help me with this. I loaded bunch of emulators onto XBOX HDD and is running Unleashed 0.39 as the default dashboard. I noticed some ICONs for some emulators show up while others don't. Is there a way to fix the ones that's don't show up?

Thanks.
psyko_chewbacca

Re: Unleashed X Emulator ICONs

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

The icon is internally stored inside the XBE file. If the developer didn't include any when building the executable, you'll see no icon.

There is a way to load alternate icon files in XBMC by renaming the desired icon to "default.tbn" and place it in the same folder as the target "default.xbe" file. XBMC will use the separate image file instead of the internal icon picture. I don't know if there is such feature in UnleashX.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Like above, but you can also press start on an app & select an icon.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
wchusky

Post by wchusky »

Rocky5 wrote:Like above, but you can also press start on an app & select an icon.
Thanks for the tip. I pressed START on the Emulator but I don't see an option to select an iCON? Is it under Information?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

You may have to have edit items enabled in the settings, it could also be under information. It's been a long time since I done this.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
wchusky

Post by wchusky »

Rocky5 wrote:You may have to have edit items enabled in the settings, it could also be under information. It's been a long time since I done this.
Yes you can do this in XBMC by hitting the black button and edit Thumnail. It works in XBMC but does not work in Unleashed. As the other poster said, Unleashed gets the icon right from default.XBE, which can't be changed.
5l1p

Post by 5l1p »

Create an image and call it "icon.jpg" can be .png file but just renamed if you wish. Place in the folder with the default.xbe Unleash will see the icon after a reboot. Probably best to keep the file size down, 256x256 works well for me otherwise you might run into crashes, stutters etc.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

wchusky wrote:
Rocky5 wrote:You may have to have edit items enabled in the settings, it could also be under information. It's been a long time since I done this.
Yes you can do this in XBMC by hitting the black button and edit Thumnail. It works in XBMC but does not work in Unleashed. As the other poster said, Unleashed gets the icon right from default.XBE, which can't be changed.
You can select custom icons in unleashX.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

As Rocky says, you go to your UX settings and enable editing of items.
wchusky

Post by wchusky »

Guys,

I think I got it figured it out. In Unleashed X, you have to have a file called ICON.JPG for it to pick up. In XBMC, you can press the little black or white button on the controller and bring up a menu where you can set the thumbnail. I had to create a few thumbnails on my own, but I am at least able to get it going now.

Thanks for all the help!
sither

Post by sither »

You can do as psyko_chewbacca suggested for XBMC and place a "default.tbn" in the folder with the "default.xbe" and then copy "default.tbn" to "icon.png/icon.jpg" or vice versa. Both dashboards will automagically use them with no need to manually set them via button presses.

For UnleashX, you can also place a "preview.wmv" or "preview.xmv" in the same folder for a preview video and it will use it too, at least for skins that support it. You can have these almost any where, but then you have to manually set them or write scripts to do it for you. In the skin folder for UnleashX you can have a "preview.jpg" for previewing the skin.

See here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/3010431/UnleashX-Tutorial for a little UnleashX insight.

You may also do as 5l1p said and have a "myFile.png" renamed to "icon.png/icon.jpg". The PNG format supports transparency whereas JPG does not. So if you start with a PNG file, all you have to do is rename it "default.tbn" (for XBMC), then copy it to "icon.png/icon.jpg" (for UnleashX). May as well leave it png for a pngfile or jpg for a jpgfile, I suppose.

Just remember that our lil boxes only have 64mb of memory, 128 if you are one of the lucky ones. But either way, they will take a long time to boot or even crash if you try to throw to much at them. In other words, you are usually better off letting UnleashX pick up the files that are in the directory than to place it in the config files.
wchusky wrote:Unleashed gets the icon right from default.XBE, which can't be changed.
Hmm, not exactly. The image is in "TitleImage.xbx" and can be changed. You may want to check out "Xbox Image Converter." It can extract/convert and even ftp.

Hope that helps.