[Android] Samsung GS3 kit-kat update Wi-Fi issue

Here you can discuss things that are not directly related to running or using XBMC4XBOX.
byron

[Android] Samsung GS3 kit-kat update Wi-Fi issue

Post by byron »

So I was exited to see yesterday that kit-kat 4.4.2 was finally rolled out for my phone...obviously I installed it immediately without a second thought. Well, perhaps that was not wise because now my Wi-Fi is all bugged out (and ultimately doesn't work at all). Curious if anyone else has experiened this, and about possible quick fix workarounds. Tried sysrem cash wipe, removing the battery, hard reset, and turning off blue tooth. Nothing is fixing this...I understand that sometimes bugs get missed when a release is pushed (especially on a multi-platform level), but damn I'm pissed about this one...but how does a Wi-Fi bug like this go under the radar?!
Dan Dar3

Re: Samsung GS3 kit-kat update Wi-Fi issue

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Not the exact same model, but similar reports from HTC One, see if this helps in any way:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-on ... ost3469044

Also, do you happen to use WEP encryption on wifi? Might be worth either disabling security temporarily, see if it connects, then go to WPA.
Although I use WEP with Nexus 7 and Android 4.4.2, but still worth a shot, it probably depends on the router as well (have a Linksys WRT54GL).
http://forums.androidcentral.com/droid- ... ost3674414

Also have a look at this - "forget" previous connection, and connect again. Maybe also disable "scanning always available"...
http://www.androidpit.com/how-to-fix-an ... axy-note-3
Kinstinct2

Re: Samsung GS3 kit-kat update Wi-Fi issue

Post by Kinstinct2 »

Hey Bryan

I have the same phone and not updated still on 4.1.2 after hearing problems of updates of 4.2.2 +(also waiting to root on firmware friendly version once I decide to get a new phone.)

Code: Select all

http://www.androidpit.com/how-to-fix-more-android-4-3-problems-galaxy-s3

Quick google search shows problems for the note see if the solution works on your s3

http://www.androidpit.com/how-to-fix-android-4-4-2-kitkat-problems-galaxy-note-3
How to fix Android 4.4.2 KitKat problems on the Galaxy Note 3
Loie Favre (translation) 2 months ago

Have you been experiencing problems with your Galaxy Note 3 since having updated to Android 4.4.2 KitKat? Some problems that users have reported are email and contact sync errors, abnormally fast battery consumption, connection issues to Wi-Fi networks and apps that suddenly stop working. Don’t look any further than Android 4.4.2, the cause for many new problems on your phablet. For some, the Android update is problem-free, but for those who are living with an Android nightmare, here are some ways to solve your KitKat woes.
galaxy note 3 kitkat teaser© AndroidPIT

Please note that Samsung hasn’t publicly commented on any problems resulting from the Android 4.4.2 update, and we still don’t know if a stability patch will ever roll out to help fix up some of these issues. In the meantime, here are some solutions.
SD card and apps

The update removed the option to save to the SD card. Applications like Titanium Backup don’t do anything and we highly doubt that Samsung will revert this decision, which is why we offer these two solutions:

You can follow this tutorial on how to save to the SD card with Android 4.4. KitKat. Please note that this requires root access.
You can install the app FolderMount, which also requires root.

Icon
FolderMount [ROOT] INSTALL
Battery loss

Quite a few users have said they’ve noticed that battery life is not like it used to be since they’ve upgraded to Android 4.4.2 KitKat, which is a bummer considering you probably bought this device in the last six months. Unfortunately there is no perfect solution, but one thing is certain: buying a new smartphone isn’t the solution, that’s not the problem.

Here are the possible solutions:

Perform a factory reset by going into your Settings, then back up and restore, ensure that you have ticked off the boxes to back up your data and automatic restore, as well as ensure it is the correct email address. Finally press Factory data reset and follow the prompts. Your phone will shut off and restart at which time you set up it up like you did when first receiving the phablet. Again, be sure you have backed up your data because a factory reset it wipes everything. Backing up via Settings only saves app data, but not other stuff, like photos, sms, game progress etc.
Follow our tips and tricks to improve your battery life on Android.
Use a battery optimizing application, like Battery Doctor, Easy Battery Saver, GreenPower Free battery saver, One Touch Battery Saver or JuiceDefender.

Icon
JuiceDefender - battery saver INSTALL
WiFi connection problems

There have been a few people reporting problems connecting to Wi-Fi, dropped connections or weak signals. Here are a few solutions:

Go to Settings, then connections and finally WiFi. Select your WiFi network. Click on the menu button and select Forget. Then, deactivate your WiFi and reactivate it after a few minutes. Insert the WiFi network information again and it should work.
Deactivate automatic scanning by going under Settings, WiFi, Menu and Advanced.
If you have international version maybe check xda forums for previous version that was good (or carrier though highly unlikely) or factory reset as a last result.

If you find a stock rom there is a guide to flash it back here

http://www.technobezz.com/flash-stock-rom-via-odin-samsung-galaxy-s3/
Last edited by Kinstinct2 on Thu May 29, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
byron

Re: [Android] Samsung GS3 kit-kat update Wi-Fi issue

Post by byron »

Hey buddy, much thanks for the links...had seen the last two you posted already, I have wpa2 but either way it doesn't matter because no devices are showing up at all. It's like something is preventing it from toggling to "on." It tries for about 30 seconds and then shuts back off. I might try a factory reset, but others are mostly saying that hasn't worked and I really will use that as a last resort I think Hmmmm....kinda silly if you ask me :|
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

Not really a direct solution to your problem but you should try a custom ROM and see if the problem is still there. I would recommend CarbonRom.
It's a shame to use a stock ROM on such a well supported (By dev's like on XDA) device. ^^
Kinstinct2

Post by Kinstinct2 »

Hey Xphaser

I'm not upto date on jail breaking I thought kitkat update had some form of protection called knot or knox to stop custom roms. I was under the impression 4.3 or lower was needed to jail break I stand corrected.
byron

Re: [Android] Samsung GS3 kit-kat update Wi-Fi issue (solved

Post by byron »

Factory restore = problem solved

Thanks for the links/ideas guys...I really hated doing it but I bit the bullet and restored to default and now all seems good...except having to get my phone back to the way it was :cry:
ellowmatetyler

Post by ellowmatetyler »

About the Knox thing. It's part of the stock rom. So if you flash a custom rom Knox won't be there anymore.
Using Tapatalk
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini and did not experience the WiFi Issue upon updating.
Rule number one, do NOT fly into a thunderstorm. Rule number two, if you fly into a thunderstorm, see rule number one.