DVD Copying in XBMC

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
tim619

DVD Copying in XBMC

Post by tim619 »

Do you think the xbox from within xbmc has enough cpu/ram left to copy and on the fly decrypt a protected dvd?
I saw this python3 tool and thought it could be easy to be ported to python2 but wasn't sure if there are enough resources...
Dan Dar3

Re: DVD Copying in XBMC

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Topic moved. This has been discussed before - if you want to make a game backup, use dvd2box.
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =12&t=1288

If you want to backup your DVDs, you're much better off using native tools on your PC, if say Windows check "DVDFab HD Decrypter" (DVD copy function is free).
http://www.dvdfab.cn/hd-decrypter.htm
tim619

Post by tim619 »

I don't see a discussion about what I asked there. I tried backing up on pc and on Xbox and both had same rate but pc drive was much louder.
Dvd2xbox works unless the bugs the user told at your link.
So my aim is to write a python script to make this within xbmc if resources are enough what was the question...
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Tim, no offense, but my impression is that you don't know what you're asking. The Python python-dvdvideo you linked uses native libraries to do the decoding (libdvdcss.so.2), and that's listed under Debian (a Linux distribution). Not to mention it also mentions Python 3 where XBMC4Xbox even the latest version comes with Python 2.7.6 and it's based on Windows.

I'm not even going into the whole area of DVD encryption, and believe me the software I pointed out tries to keep up with all encryptions available, imagine that an Open source library would only be behind in those terms and will most certainly not be able to dump all DVDs out there.

The article was last modified in 2010 and he states it in there quite clearly:
I started to write this software, because libdvdread was often unable to decipher my newly purchased video DVDs. libdvdread expects a rather valid structure of the filesystem and other metadata on the disk. It will forcefully bail out on several error conditions. So I often ended patching libdvdread to make dvdbackup able to read the new disks.
So the Python 3 to Python 2 conversion is the last of your problems... Easiest thing to prove me wrong, follow the instructions on how to run on your PC and try it with a few DVDs, see how it works out.

I'll leave others to weigh in their opinions as well, but believe me, you're going at this the hard way - most DVD copying software for PC allows you to choose the reading speed.
tim619

Post by tim619 »

Okay thanks, than I'll stay on dvd2xbox.
The Python python-dvdvideo you linked uses native libraries to do the decoding (libdvdcss.so.2)
Yeah saw this later, too. I thought I found the first python libdvdcss but it was just a "fake"...
tim619

Post by tim619 »

Here is how this would be implemented, should work when accessing the libdvdcss from xbmc. I'll build a version for xbmc next time I've time for it.