xbmc4xbox/media question

General discussion relating to XBMC4XBOX. Please use the support forums for help on using the software or plugins.
luke9511

xbmc4xbox/media question

Post by luke9511 »

(sorry for the bad title couldnt think of anything) hey all, im new here but have my own modded xbox for just games, my fiancees parents have a xbox that has only been powered on like 2 or 3 times and they got it brand new, now they love watching movies and have quite a few dvds,

i was thinking of maybe either softmodding or buying a mod chip and upgrading the xbox hdd to a 2tb and ripping all or as much as i can to the hdd and adding a networked hdd for more storage if they need more space, but is it still worth it? or am i mad and should look for something else,

mind you this is for dvd movies only no menus on them etc also no games or addons unless needed
cashonly

Re: xbmc4xbox/media question

Post by cashonly »

XBMC4XBOX is perfect for your project. Can play DVD quality video perfectly, and music, and photo. From hdd, disk or network. I recomend you to use a component cable, for hd resolutions.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
luke9511

Post by luke9511 »

awesome thank you, my next question is what program should i use to rip the dvds and what settings/codec should i use for best playback, i am also going to get the cable, this xbox will be connected to either a 50"-55" inch tv its pretty big
cashonly

Post by cashonly »

If you want to rip the disks with your console you can use the program DVD2XBOX
http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/xbo ... -78-fixed/
But if you want to rip from computer, i know of Handbreak, it is open source and has presets:
http://handbrake.fr/
The xbox plays well with the codec x264 and MP4 as file format.

You can also have a look here for resolution settings, bittrate, etc.:
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/HOW-TO ... C_For_Xbox

P.S. If you go to softmod way i recommend you to TSOP the console ( http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/tsop.php ) or put a modchip.
This will let you to change the hdds as you like, with the softmod is a bit complicated, you have to lock the hdds.
P.S. The xbox'es running xbmc have a function in wich they see each other on the network an share information. (i tought it is good to know of this function)
Also the xbmc4xbox support share's from network from ftp and smb server.
luke9511

xbmc4xbox/media question

Post by luke9511 »

What mod chip and from where can I get one as I would like to do one anyway than do a soft mod since I don't have a computer to do it any more
cashonly

Post by cashonly »

If you install a modchip you still need a disk like this: http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/xbo ... -v452-usa/ to install XBMC, so you have to burn the iso to disk.
Any modchip will work, what year is the console? Generally if is newer than 2005 (including) you have a V1.6 xbox, a bit tricky to install a modchip, but not imposible (you have to solder 3 wires (rebuild the LPC))

Version tutorial: http://www.xbox-scene.com/versions_1.php
luke9511

xbmc4xbox/media question

Post by luke9511 »

That I'm not sure I don't have it with me but will reply when I get back to where it's at and take a look, but according to Xbmc my modded xbox is a v1.1 only thing I need to find is a mod chip and a place to buy it from
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

You don't have to modchip it, and doing a softmod HDD swap is simple.

A softmod is simple to do (there are truckloads of youtube videos to help with this), and to swap the HDD, use the Chimp guide that is linked in my signature.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
luke9511

Post by luke9511 »

Well I have one that is already soft modded and I did a hot swap with it but I will look up a mod chip and just purchase two, it's just something I've been wanting to try for a while
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

luke9511 wrote:Well I have one that is already soft modded and I did a hot swap with it but I will look up a mod chip and just purchase two, it's just something I've been wanting to try for a while
Also conside TSOP flashing, same benefits as chipping without requiring any hardware.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
luke9511

Post by luke9511 »

im just wondering if anyone here uses their xbox on a 50" or bigger tv with component cables, how does movies you ripped look? and what settings do you use for the files? also is there a all in one software for ripping dvds?
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

luke9511 wrote:im just wondering if anyone here uses their xbox on a 50" or bigger tv with component cables, how does movies you ripped look? and what settings do you use for the files? also is there a all in one software for ripping dvds?
If your console is PAL then use enigmah to switch to NTSC and then set output to 720P, it will look awesome on a large lcd.
There are lots of free file conversion programs out there, i have used Handbrake , Freemake, AVS , AutoGK .
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
luke9511

Post by luke9511 »

bigkidoz wrote:
luke9511 wrote:im just wondering if anyone here uses their xbox on a 50" or bigger tv with component cables, how does movies you ripped look? and what settings do you use for the files? also is there a all in one software for ripping dvds?
If your console is PAL then use enigmah to switch to NTSC and then set output to 720P, it will look awesome on a large lcd.
There are lots of free file conversion programs out there, i have used Handbrake , Freemake, AVS , AutoGK .
i am ntsc
luke9511

Post by luke9511 »

ok so i got my two modchips and i took my xbox took it apart and started to install, once the motherboard was out i saw that some where in the past the clock cap had leaked, so i desolder it and clean up the area and while im cleaning it something comes off the motherboard close to it, i dont know what it is and i can tell it was soldered on the motherboard, so i go on and install the modchip and everything goes fine,

i plug it in and start it and it works of course without the modchip, i can load games and everything, so i dont know what that part was but so far it seems fine unless someone says otherwise, after that i plugged in the modchip and i see the evox logo and success! now i just need to download and burn the boot disc and get the right bios

edit forgot to ask, how do i go about getting it to boot unleashx that is already on my xbox?
luke9511

Post by luke9511 »

ok i got a new issue, i downloaded the boot disc linked above and when i put it in all i get is a black screen, could that part that came off the board have something to do with it?

EDIT ok i got it working but i think this version of unleashx is older than the one i had installed on my softmod but i will deal with it later, also the part that came off the motherboard was at R7F9 on the motherboard

EDIT 2 i also just found out i have a v1.4 xbox