Which Android Rom are you rocking

Here you can discuss things that are not directly related to running or using XBMC4XBOX.
restless

Which Android Rom are you rocking

Post by restless »

Presuming ya not a windows phone user and god forbid iphone user or any other not worth mentioning(lik e blackberry) then you must be using android. What phone/tablet do you have and what customROM are you rocking?

I have nexus 7 2014 testing a couple of roms via multiboot. PA doesnt do much atm

I have nexus 5 and i have settled on carbonROM which is awesome. Will share some screens soon.
professor_jonny

Re: Which Android Rom are you rocking

Post by professor_jonny »

I have an ami logic based nexbook running a custom forked ClockworkMod rom and recovery.

Originally i forked my original rom removing all the bloat, then i tried to slim it down and swap the app and os partitions over but i could not get it to boot properly,i came across a custom rom for it and tried it out after finding a simular device from a different country and compairing them.

The only problem with all the nextbook's is that the partition sizes are hard coded in the kernel and the app partition size is only 400mb :-(

4 gig storage and 3.6 gig reserved for the os and well over half of it is free and only 400mb for the good stuff but that is what you get for being a cheap bugger and not splashing out on something better.

I tried creating symbolic links to sd using adb but i gave up as i soft bricked it fixed now tho but i better leave it alone now or the kids will get angry if i bust it.

link to the rom here:
http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php? ... ok-Tablets
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

MTK_6577_ICS2 by some random guy on a German forum dedicated to Chinese phones (i gots me a fake iphone)
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

Nexus 5 + CarbonROM = Way to go! :wink:

You guys can use whatever you like, but do not use Cataclysm ROM. The team making it are not releasing their ROM source code.
Legitimately, but it's unfair and against the spirit of the Android community! These guys pisses me off.

If you're using MIUI we clearly cannot be friend, I don't trust any Android knowledge from people who think it's a good ROM.
I hate the PR arround it, I hate the ROMs them self, and hate the user base. Its extremely rare to see skilled Android user who like this ROM.

Seems like this guy doesn't know much about the CarbonROM community, for example, there will be no more "stable" builds... (Should be the same in any project, this ain't debian!)
Still, nice review. (Slightly out of date)
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

professor_jonny wrote:I have an ami logic based nexbook running a custom forked ClockworkMod rom and recovery.
ClockworkMod is not a ROM. :lol:
It's the name of the recovery made by Koush, which (the touch version) is not entirely open source. It sleep in the same bed than CyanogenMod at night. ^^
TWRP should always be preferred when possible. (might not be in your case)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos ... tcount=548
https://plus.google.com/+GuillaumeLesni ... 8FJkrcahPs
professor_jonny wrote:I tried creating symbolic links to sd using adb but i gave up as i soft bricked it fixed now tho but i better leave it alone now or the kids will get angry if i bust it.
I explained this to Ghostly couple weeks ago, it's far more complicated than just making a symlink or cross mount, it take a huge script to do that work.
And as I told Ghostly, don't try to reinvent the wheel. ^^
If you're NOT running kitkat (4.3.1 or less) try one of these (You NEED a ext4 partition on the micro sdcard. 1-2GB):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ak.Link2SD
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .mounts2sd
If you're running kitkat (4.4+) AFAIK you're out of luck.
http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/04/24/googl ... rosd-slot/ I personally totally support this.

From the recovery you should be able to just keep a backup and restore that in just a couple minutes.
professor_jonny

Xphazer I thaught you would be rocking a ubuntu touch there is a rom available for it for the nexus 5.

it is t the only nexus phone not on the official list, I was waiting for it to become its reference device bufore I splashed out the moneys :-) but it has not happened :-(

I dont think there is any other recoverys or roms available for the nextbooks, it was the only thing i could find on the net for the kids tablets.

i believe it was made from scratch from an older unofficial older cwm10 source code.

Is there a method to create your own rom as i would like to remove everything and just install games as the things seem to just chunk through data downloading adds and updates for the crap installed?
Last edited by professor_jonny on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

The Nexus 5 can multi-boot using MultiROM. XDA thread | Video
I can install as many ROM as I want. And yes, I happen to have Ubuntu Touch installed, very far from being usable. :(
Extremely buggy and boring. I don't like it honestly, even when it will be all polished, it's just too weird and unintuitive.
restless

Post by restless »

Ubuntu touch is shit to put it blunt...shortly followed by firefoxOS all of which i have tried on n7. Of course in thier current unfinished state they are superior to all miui roms
DavPow

Post by DavPow »

Galaxy S3 rocking CarbonROM with Leankernel ;)
Xlink Kai: DavPow
V1.0, Crystal case, OpenXenium + iND BIOS 5003, 1TB HDD (WD WD10EZEX), XBMC4Xbox 3.5.3, XBMC4Gamers
xboxprince

Post by xboxprince »

i have a droid dna AKA HTC butterfly and i just got kitkat for it and htc sense 5.5 i love htc sense but ive never modded a phone before and wanted to give it a shot. So what rom would you recommend for my phone or should i just keep sense 5.5?

also i just wanted to say ipone is gay and windows phones are getting better and better im pretty sure all of their latest phones have some pretty high end specs so good for them :)
project media center "part one" (working progress): 6tb trusty 1.4ghz + 128mb v1.4 Xbox water cooled pc case with xenium ice, LCD, HDMI out and optical out.
restless

Post by restless »

You could try the unofficial carbon rom... http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2310695
professor_jonny

I'm running kit kat but i managed to get it to work i just mounted my external sd card as the andriod folder in the app partition:

first i dumped my vold.fstab file in /etc

then edited the external sdcard mount line to:

Code: Select all

dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0/android auto
I then ran adb mounted /system as read write as below:

adb shell
shell@android:/# su root
root@android:/# mount -o rw,remount /dev/ubi0_0 /system

I then went to the directory where the vold.fstab ws located and changed the permissions on the file.

root@android:/# cd etc
 root@android:/# chmod 666 vold.fstab

then I pressed "control c" to break out of adb and then copied my edited file over the top of the original using push but before I did this I ensured the edited file was in the directory with adb:

c:\sdk\sdk\platform-tools> adb push vold.fstab /etc/vold.fstab
i then moved the data and obb dir from the android director to the external sd card rebooted and i can now install all my apps data to the external sdcard :-) saving some space.

would it be save to mount it as /data/app ?
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

DavPow wrote:Galaxy S3 rocking CarbonROM with Leankernel ;)
Has this improved the battery life at all, wife and i both have S3's and since she uses faceplant a lot it chews thru the battery.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
tamsman

Post by tamsman »

4.1.2 Pio Balthesaur-v2.75 for the Toshiba Thrive. It's a little older but this tablet is still one of the best non neon's in my opinion. :D
DavPow

Re: Re : Which Android Rom are you rocking

Post by DavPow »

bigkidoz wrote:
Has this improved the battery life at all, wife and i both have S3's and since she uses faceplant a lot it chews thru the battery.
The kernel itself drains the battery and started to glitch (went back to Carbon kernel). CarbonROM itself is very fast and better then stock on battery. I recommend it.
Xlink Kai: DavPow
V1.0, Crystal case, OpenXenium + iND BIOS 5003, 1TB HDD (WD WD10EZEX), XBMC4Xbox 3.5.3, XBMC4Gamers
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Slim 4.4.2 with JBX kernel. I have a Motorola Droid Bionic.

I've had the phone since it came out, and only now with the combo I'm rocking (or paranoid android) I am benching on AnTuTu higher than ever (12400+ with over clocking ).

Took some tweaking. Now it's only $50 and shipping to get one used. I'd recommend it to somebody looking for a deactivated Android device. Or for Verizon users that don't want to renew their contract.
ellowmatetyler

Post by ellowmatetyler »

I have a moto g running the latest CyanogenMod nightly and I also flashed pink kernel.
Using Tapatalk
2 Bunny

N2 Reply

Post by 2 Bunny »

These days, I'm using a Note2 with the Digiblur ROM and Perseus kernel for proper video and audio performance. Works fantastically well and has excellent battery life and signal strength thanks to the 21055 PRL with Sprint 800Mhz band availability.
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

Updated my phone, Got a Nexus 5 with CarbonROM!
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Hmmm Nexus 5 with stock 4.4.4 - I was a HTC HD2 owner for many years and spent hours flashing ROMs

I might get round to flashing the N5 one day :D