Xbox How to get rid of DVD-DRIVE?

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Armorant

Xbox How to get rid of DVD-DRIVE?

Post by Armorant »

Hello, I have a 5 xbox original and only 1 with working DVD drive. Yes, it is a little shame) So, Is there any way to get rid of it? (maybe some sort of resistor like at freeboot 360 without drive to prevent blinking central green light) Cause I want to make a slim mod on few of them but without dvd drive. thx.
sahib12

Re: Xbox How to get rid of DVD-DRIVE?

Post by sahib12 »

I know you can put a pc dvd drive in place of the xbox dvd drive but im not sure if you could get rid of it alltogether. If it is possible i'd like to know as well :D
destronger

Post by destronger »

it depends on what bios you use. you need to have a chipped or TSOP'd Xbox to do this. the loading process of the Xbox is to look at the DVD first then the hdd. if have the right bios you can eliminate looking at the DVD on start up. I'm not at my computer at this time so off the top of my head I can't recall what I use.
+ T +: Every time you mention Midway games in Final Burn, iq_132 kills a kitten!
ImageImage
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Two way to achieve what you want, custom bios or electrical tape & the DVD drive PCB.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Armorant

Post by Armorant »

I have xbox from 1.1 to 1.6 and alladdin xt to launch Slayers 2.7 to make TSOP. I will try. When I will make TSOP, will the softmod with xbmc remain working or I will have to reinstall it?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Armorant wrote:I have xbox from 1.1 to 1.6 and alladdin xt to launch Slayers 2.7 to make TSOP. I will try. When I will make TSOP, will the softmod with xbmc remain working or I will have to reinstall it?
You will need to remove the softmod files from C after you flash the bios to the TSOP or your Xbox will hang on boot.

Also 1.0 / 1.5 are only TSOP flashable.

I recommend ind-bios (beta 11/02/05) as the bios for all TSOPs
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
xman

Post by xman »

A custom bios or the board out of a DVDrive plugged in as you would normally. You only need the board and depending on the type of drive the board is from, ir can be quite easy. I use Thomsons because they are the smallest and have a detachable sub board that goes to the drive micro switches. Detach the sub board and solder the connectors that went to the micros on the sub board. Plug it back in and the machine knows no different. The cables are long enough to place the board anywhere inside the box.
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

Time to slim those suckers.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.