[CLOSED] Xbox Extended

Discussion and development of skins for XBMC4XBOX
Dom DXecutioner

[CLOSED] Xbox Extended

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

DISCLAIMER: This project is not affiliated or endorse by Microsoft or The XBMC (Kodi) Foundation.

Although this skin is not - in no way, shape, or form - complete, by any stretch of the imagination; time, motivation, and dedication eludes me... therefore, i've decided to release what i have so far. DO NOT have high expectations as various things are not the way the should and some non-existent at all :)

You will need to be on, at least, Beta 3.5 or the latest nightly. Also, for those with 128MB XBox, let me know how it handles 720 (visually). :D

Edit 10.27.2014
- various changes; don't really want to go into it, too many bad memories :evil: :D
download: XBox Extended v0.96

EDIT: 08.06.2014
- many changes and fixes have occurred since the last build; i fixed things, but may have broken others (hopefully not much)
download: XBox Extended v0.95

EDIT: 07.06.2014
- If you have a previous build, you may need to delete your guisettings.xml file for this to work properly.
download: XBox Extended v0.94

EDIT: 06.30.2014 - WARNING!!! Bugs Amidst! :oops:
- Update: link removed

The one thing I'd like to point out is the Games section; some views will require that you have the following folder structure in each game:

Code: Select all

GameFolder
	+ _resources
		+ artwork
			poster.jpg
			disc.png
			thumb.jpg
			icon.jpg
	default.xml
Although the script has not been working in a couple of xbox i've tried, it has worked on others, so i have included it with the hopes that it will work for you. It will not launch the game at this point because i disabled that... but it should do the rest... if it does not work, it will just get stuck at the progress bar, at which point you'll have to do a manual reboot, i have not really looked into the reason but at a glance, i don't have a clue why it's doing that.

You have been WARNED! Enable it at your own RISK! :) Just saying!

Assuming the script works, it will - IMPORTANT: this may or may NOT work:
  • prompt you to update the database
  • scan all "default.xml" with the data onto the database
  • reload and display the new info
  • play any trailers if you enable that option
REMEMBER: when playing previews, you will suffer a performance lag; this is XBMC and not on of those great emulators; XBMC does NOT run stolen code that claims to be its own even though documentation is non-existent - you know who you are ( :twisted: ), code that violates the GPL license and it DOES pre-load many other codecs (high overhead - hence low memory) that are meant for what XBMC is, a MEDIA PLAYER.

The default.xml structure is as follows:

<game>
	<platform>xbox</platform>
	<titleId>00000000</titleId>
	<title>Halo 2</title>
	<publisher>Microsoft</publisher>
	<developer>Bungie</developer>
	<genre>First Person Shooter</genre>
	<esrb>M</esrb>
	<esrb_descriptors>Blood and Gore/Language/Violence</esrb_descriptors>
	<features_general>Offline Players: 1-4/System Link: 2-16/HDTV: 480p/16:9 Widescreen/Dolby 5.1 Surround/Xbox Exclusive<features_general>
	<features_online>Online Multiplayer: 1-16/Content Downloads/Online Scoreboards/Clans/Live Aware</features_online>
	<exclusive>Yes</exclusive>
	<release_date>11/09/2004</release_date>
	<overview>Pushing the Xbox hardware to its very limits, Halo 2 will expand on everything that made the original game great, plus add a wealth of technological and gameplay advances. Significantly improved graphics, enhanced AI, destructible and interactive environments, and an advanced real-time lighting engine are just a small part of Halo 2's evolution of design and technology. Every improvement in Halo 2 is designed to take gameplay to a new level, and in the end, to tell a better story.</overview>
	<ismod>no</ismod>
	<screenshots>
		<item>screenshot1.jpg</item>
		<item>screenshot2.jpg</item>
	</screenshots>
	<media>
		<item>
			<title>Walkthru 1</title>
			<url>walkthru_1.avi</url>
		</item>
		<item>
			<title>Walkthru 2</title>
			<url>walkthru_2.avi</url>
		</item>
	</media>
</game>
Last edited by Dom DXecutioner on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
skatulskijean

Re: [WIP] Xbox Extended

Post by skatulskijean »

Thanks for this.
I have it not tested momently but i thanks.

Regards Jan

Edit 1 a beatifull editable Skin from you .

The Addon shortcutscript is for me not working i look the next days why.

What you think since setResolvedUrl on the script site not working ?
i think you can switch to this Solution for playing the Trailer for a Game and i think when you set the listitem.setProperty('mimetype', '') to the mimetyp from xmv.
You are on the best Option than it give many Game Videos for this Format and this make it faster then xbmc must not first search the mimetype to play it.
I have many xmv what since for the Dashbord what to the Emulators and Game playing bring fun(but have not legal stoff on it) tested with the DVDPLayer on xbmc4xbox and she working nice.
So i think you can set the mimetype to this format.
NOTTHESAME

Post by NOTTHESAME »

so far so good dom great job even if its not done, keep up the great work seems awesome :)
Dom DXecutioner

skatulskijean wrote:Thanks for this.
The Addon shortcutscript is for me not working i look the next days why.
You know the drill... debug.log
skatulskijean wrote:Thanks for this.
What you think since setResolvedUrl on the script site not working ?
Don't really use scripting much, so I don't have an opinion... sorry!
skatulskijean wrote: You are on the best Option than it give many Game Videos for this Format and this make it faster then xbmc must not first search the mimetype to play it.
Thanks! And interesting... Didn't know I can do that; I will have to look into that at a later time!
NOTTHESAME wrote:so far so good dom great job even if its not done, keep up the great work seems awesome :)
Thanks!
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Hey you son of a bitch, it broke my Xbox! Nah, it looks good. Feels a little lighter than the version you had me test a few months ago. Still not ready for prime time yet, but I'm sure you made BuZz hard since you finally released a version. :lol: Keep up the good work.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

Videobackground on skin

on main xbmc its give a Solution for Videobackground on skins you can read here i think the same can a skinner bring to work on xbmc4xbox the only what we must other do since the integration from a script what read the game spezfic .xml to access the location for video for the selected game.
Please look here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=157585

we that looks as example default videobackground can you see here:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gfIrkO4dmA[/youtube]

here is a short script from me to access the information(Frontcover,description,release-date,developer ,fanart (when a fanart is located) from a given xbox game Titel

the thegamesdb.net holding as example the information for over 400 xbox games

searchentered holding the Game name for the Search .
the Game name must be the same we the release Titel from the Game as example
Halo given the information for Halo 2 the the right name for Halo was 'Halo: Combat Evolved' and when you search with this its giving the right information.
Next Problem the Fanart its to big for the use on the xbox1 but that can we only change when we adding a Fanart on a xbox compatible format to the thegamesdb its the same with a trailer for the game.

import requests
    import urllib
    import re

Platform=urllib.quote_plus('Microsoft Xbox')
    searchentered='Batman Begins'
    search=urllib.quote_plus(searchentered)
    url='http://thegamesdb.net/api/GetGamesList.php?name=%s&platform=%s' % (search,Platform)
    html=requests.get(url).content.encode('utf-8')
    url='http://thegamesdb.net/api/GetGame.php?id='+str(re.findall('<id>(.*?)</id>',html,re.S)[0])
    print url
    resp=requests.get(url)
    html=resp.content.encode('utf-8')
    name=re.findall('<GameTitle>(.*?)</GameTitle>',html)[0]
    date=re.findall('<ReleaseDate>(.*?)</ReleaseDate>',html)[0]
    desc=re.findall('<Overview>(.*?)</Overview>',html)[0]
    puplisher=re.findall('<Publisher>(.*?)</Publisher>',html)[0]
    dev=re.findall('<Developer>(.*?)</Developer>',html)[0]
    iconimage='http://thegamesdb.net/banners/_gameviewcache/'+(re.findall('<boxart side="front".*?thumb="(.*?)"',html)[0]).replace('/thumb','')
    try:
     fanart='http://thegamesdb.net/banners/'+str(re.findall('<original.*?>(.*?)</original>',html,re.S)[0])
    except:
     fanart=' '
    print name
    print date
    print desc
    print puplisher
    print dev
    print iconimage
    print fanart

we can it use to crate the xml file for a game as example .
captainsensation

Post by captainsensation »

thank you for this skin, it uses less memory than confluence lite and therefore it does not crash on youtube playback so there is no going back for me. I havent noticed memory leaks either. I hope you or someone else can finish this skin but it is very usuable in its current state.
Dom DXecutioner

[WIP] Xbox Extended

@majik,

What do you mean by "lighter?"

@jan

For the time being, I don't have any plans in including video background; however, it is something to consider in the future. Thanks!

As for the scraping, having the thegamesdb.net available is nice option but I'm not sure if that's something I wanna do. I have other options that I'm currently looking into that may not need the name of the game, instead it will rely on the title ID of the xbox game, which is handled by xbmc. Still, it's something to definitely to consider if my other options do not work out.

@captain

I'm working on the skin at the moment and don't have any plans to stop in the foreseeable future.
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

I meant that it seemed less memory intensive.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
Dom DXecutioner

Nice! Made a few changes for that; though I think it also lags a bit because if it. :(
senna99

Re: [WIP-Release] Xbox Extended

Post by senna99 »

Hello Dom DXecutioner

This is nice skin,I want to thank you, on the previous version,
that helped me a lot to create my version skin on xbmc forum skin not yet completed.

Best Regards
cashonly

Post by cashonly »

good looking skin, you did an incredible job. it give justice to the good old xbox console. i'm looking forward for the final version.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
captainsensation

Post by captainsensation »

I know it isnt finished but just sharing that i noticed when i try to play music my xbox freezes.
nayparm

Post by nayparm »

Sh!t the bed Dom! this is awsome work!

PM sent re 128mb ;)
MLSchleps

Post by MLSchleps »

I am interested in helping with this. I'm currently making Slim covers for the Xbox and uploading them to The Iso Zone. I could take the covers I have made and convert them to poster files for the skin. What size are the poster files intended to be? I made one at 380x535 and it looks great!
catch_2030

Post by catch_2030 »

Great work on this man :) Can't wait to see it done! This will be the best skin for XBMC upon completion if you ask me :)
tim619

Post by tim619 »

Thank you so much for continuing the work on this project it's awesome :D
I really like the disc spinning in game section, 2 months ago I thought about asking for implementing this feature :o

When testing this build two things I saw you could maybe fix:
1) when I'm in the 'menu' where all titles are like welcome,social,weather,... I assume getting in this menu with going down instead of pressing A, maybe you could enable both
buttons for this especially because down button isn't used in this case.
2) also in this 'menu' when I press L or R button to go quick through this menu it is much too quick when I press a bit to much down so would be nice if this is slowed down in longer press 8-)

greets
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

@Dom DXecutioner

I have rewritten my script and created a Gamelauncher addon:

What will this do :
on first run :
this script read the dir's names from path f:\games
and search with the names on http://thegamesdb.net over the api and
save the information for the games on sqlite3 db with the name games .
momently i save only the gameTitel ,Year ,Plot ,Coverurl,FanarUrl on the DB.

with thew next run it access all the information over the createded database and with a click the selected game run.
i have switched to a default fanart then the fanarts located on http://thegamesdb.net since to big (for use on xbox)

I have this first created as Video addon (then this since only addons and i must not skinning intern with scripts) .

Next i add over context menu a play Trailer function, what search the video what is located with the name from the game and play this over my intern youtube play solution.

then i go back and see that i can create a progamm addon what since basicly scripts with intern skinning)Confluencelight

this is what it looks momently (you can run the game over abspielen on th the Plotview to)

This is what it Looks on Jx720 Skin(BigPoster view):

So i think it where nice we use this database and adding games what since not located on it with description and all the other information what we want.
Regards Jan
Iceus

Post by Iceus »

Edit - nvm you done a great job on this its hard as hell for me to read home.xml with notepad++ :shock: look at Includes.xml and then home.xml to see what I mean.
Dom DXecutioner

@jan,

nice work!

@iceus,

not sure what you're referring to by "nvm"...

i posted a teaser trailer in the first post.