How to Use Chimp (Updated)

mrmajikbus45

How to Use Chimp (Updated)

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

(Updated 05/16/2017)

In light of many questions, as well as the various threads asking how to use it, I figured I would make a guide for Chimp. This guide also covers how to get your F drive working when installing a larger HDD. Idotsfan is the master of Chimp, and this guide is only here to help people work along. I would like to see all Xboxes modded, and hope that this can help in some way.

Why use chimp? It's an effective way to add a large HDD to an Xbox. It is especially informative for those of us who softmod, and will not hurt your softmod in any way. This is useful for those looking to add games or large amounts of media. For some people, it's the hardware limitations of their computer that prevents them from being able to use XBHDM. I also find it very user-friendly, so I have no qualm with it's layout. It's also good for those people who lack some technical experience. Also doing it this way, you can keep your HD AV cables hooked up.

Remember, for the Slayer's disc, you will want to burn it as an IMAGE, not just files. I personally use a program on my PC called imgburn to perform this. Burn to a DVD-R.

If you have no knowledge about modified Xboxes, FTP, computer hardware, or how to follow instructions exactly, STOP and go learn. By continuing to read, and following the instructions below, you agree that you are doing this modification at YOUR OWN RISK! Idotsfan (the program's designer), myself, XBMC4XBOX, admins of this site, or other forum members will not be held accountable for your actions from this point forward.

If upgrading using a SATA adapter, you may require an 80 PIN UDMA66/133 cable. If you are able to clone and lock as a slave, but get an Error 13 when you change the new drive to master and boot, you will require this. (Thanks to locutus2000 for the insight)

Necessary items:
1. Modified Xbox.
2. Official Xbox controller. Duke or S is fine, just not a 3rd party controller.
3. New larger IDE HDD. See if your HDD will work: http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list. (Note, this guide only covers IDE HDD. For information on SATA HDDs, there are other threads in this forum. SATA will work as well, and require an adapter to use)
4. A way to power the new HDD while hotswapping. I use this: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1& ... MgodShsAxA. There are other ways to power it as well, Google is your friend here.
5. Slayer's disc. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
6. A set of Torx screwdrivers or bits. You will need a T10, T15, and T20 for the Xbox.
7. Basic reading comprehension and ability to follow instructions.

Instructions:
Read these at least 3 times before proceeding. The risk is now YOURS and YOURS alone.
1. Download and burn Slayer's disc as an IMAGE at 4x or slower. Flip Xbox on its top, remove the screws, and take off the Xbox lid. Flip Xbox upright.
2. Power on Xbox and make sure the new HDD has power and is set to slave via the jumper. (Do NOT connect the IDE cable to the new HDD yet)
3. Insert the Slayer's disc into the Xbox DVD drive. Turn off Xbox. Power on and run the Slayer disc from cold boot.
4. Select the clone HDD option.
5. Install Chimp from that disc.
6. Then do a FAST REBOOT in the Slayer's main menu (at bottom).
7. When it restarts, go back into the option for clone HDD.
8. Before selecting the launch Chimp option, remove the IDE cable from the DVD drive and connect it to your new HDD.
9. Select launch Chimp.
10. Select the fatX icon (Blender)
11. Select the top option of Chimp. Ignore the 480p and 720p. This way just works. (If necessary)
12. Select option 1. Make sure it detects both drives. Scroll through. MAKE SURE.
13. Select option 2. Choose yes to format. Clone FULL disk.
14. Get a sandwich. It will take a few minutes.
15. Go back to the menu. Choose option 3. I always tell it to lock from motherboard. Works for me.
16. Power off the Xbox.
17. Unplug IDE cable from your new HDD, and place IDE cable back into the DVD drive.
18. Change the jumper in the new HDD to Master.
19. Disconnect original HDD, and power new HDD with the standard molex cable in the Xbox. You no longer need the splitter/other power source.
20. Disconnect IDE cable from original HDD, and place into the new HDD.
21. Power on and test new HDD with case open. If it works and you get the splash screen, awesome! (Note: If using a SATA drive, refer to green text above should you get an Error 13)
22. Insert Slayer's disc into xbox DVD drive.
23. Go to option 9, system settings.
24. Scroll down to Use F Drive, Use G Drive. Select yes for F drive, G drive is up to you. Scroll down to Save and Exit.
25. Scroll up to Option 4 APPS/EMUS/...
26. Select 4B
27. Select 4B2
28. Press A on next screen, don't be nervous.
29. Go to 4b2-3
30. Hover over the top item in the bottom box and press the white button until the desired size comes about.
31. Press START to write table and format. (Do Steps 25-30 if you chose to use a G drive)
31. Power off Xbox when it is finished.
33. Place new HDD into the HDD tray, store old HDD somewhere safe as a backup.
34. Put the Xbox lid back on.
35. Fire up Xbox and check on your F drive size.
36. Finished!

Happy modding!

10/16/15- Updates due to information from Locutus 2000
05/16/17- Updates to links for required items, grammatical corrections, and various punctuation fixes.
Last edited by mrmajikbus45 on Tue May 16, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 16 times in total.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
mrmajikbus45

Re: How to Use Chimp (Updated)

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

OP revised, and this post moved up. Please see post 1 for all information.
Last edited by mrmajikbus45 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
Ailyn Zel

Post by Ailyn Zel »

Thank you so much!!! I have now used this twice. The first time was to do the standard upgrade to a larger upgrade. The second time was a little different... Last night, my XBOX died when rebooting. It got stuck at the green start screen and nothing I could do would bring it back. But I have so much on the hard drive, I did not want to clone it and wipe it. I managed to unlock it using MHDD. I then used most of your guide but instead of fully cloning, I backed up the eeprom from the working hard drive, put it on the older hard drive with everything I wanted to keep, locked it and rebooted. Working perfectly!!!!!! Took all day for me to read everywhere but it finally worked. Thanxx again! :mrgreen:
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

No worries, glad it could help you out in your time of need. Was worth the time taken to write it now.
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
kingqk

Post by kingqk »

mrmajikbus45 wrote:(Updated 12/23/2013)

3. Download this. http://BillionUploads.com/9oeg84tbbxm0 Extract this file. Remember where you extracted it to on your PC.
Nice guide ..

File removed, any chance you coud upload it once more or to another location (dropbox, box.net .. )?

\Torsten
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Rather than do it the PITA way, I figured I would leave the much simpler version. Please use Slayer's 2.98 to Chimp.
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
JoepVK

Post by JoepVK »

Does this get rid of my softmod? I want to keep it.

Thanks.
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

It absolutely does not hurt your softmod in any way. Second paragraph, second sentence of OP. You're cloning your smaller HDD to a larger HDD... there is no way it will hurt your softmod unless it corrupts somehow during the cloning process. Even then, put your original HDD back in, and redo the clone.
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
fenderbendr

Post by fenderbendr »

Will this method work on a version 1.6 xbox?
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

It sure will. Used it many times on a 1.6
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
rockerdave60

Post by rockerdave60 »

Thanks for the Chimp tutorial. I find it easier to follow than a video. Hope to use it in the near future.
UtterPerplexity

Post by UtterPerplexity »

So I've been trying for 2 days to upgrade my HDD to a confirmed working Maxtor 160gb drive without success. I've been using chimp only as i don't have access to a IDE compatible computer anymore. I have tried different chimp versions, different methods of loading it, different dashboards and hotswapping at different points in the process to no avail. I have a PAL 1.6 crystal box set to NTSC and using component cables and im trying to upgrade from the stock WD80 drive. I found this tutorial and followed all the steps but substituting the y splitter for an external PC PSU and still no results. I'm wondering if there is any way you could help me get this working? I'll give you as much information as i feel may be relevant as possible now. I'm using the version of slayer's disc you have the link up for and am using an official crystal controller. When using the launch chimp option it doesn't ask for which version of chimp i would like to use it simply loads up the program. However when chimp loads it never detects my slave drive (the 160). It picks up my master fine and if i leave the dvd drive plugged in it will pick that up too (Phillips if it makes a difference) but no matter the version or point i hotswap it refuses to pick up my 160. I've also tried powering up the 160 before and after connecting the IDE thinking it may want an IDE connection before power to function correctly. Any ideas? Thanks very much in advance and I hope i get this working and hopefully it'll help others who may run into this problem as well
Thanks a bunch,
UP
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Okay, the solution sounds simple here. Check your jumpers on the back of the hard drives. Using the as a visual aid, these are jumpers. Image

As I do not know your exact HDD, please verify that your jumper settings on the Maxtor are set to Slave, and that you set the jumper on the Xbox stock HDD to master. You will have to Google your Maxtor HDD model to get the settings.

Power it before you connect the IDE cable, but then again that's how I always have to do it with a Molex splitter.

Final tip, swap the drive over from the DVD drive to the new HDD immediately before you select the option in the Slayer's disc to launch Chimp. Try these three suggestions first.

If more questions, come on back.
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
UtterPerplexity

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. The drive i have sets to Slave when no jumper is installed so that is the configuration i have been using on that drive. The stock xbox drive i have tried with jumper set to Master Single, Master w/ Slave present and cable select with the same result each time. I will give it another go though with each setting and install the IDE into the Slave immediately before loading chimp to see what happens. The Maxtor by the way is a 6L160P0 and is confirmed working with chimp on http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list&v_b ... _postedby=. It does state on the hard drive itself however that it is PATA133 compatible and i am wondering if it wont work with the xbox which i believe uses a IDE66 cable?
UtterPerplexity

I tried all the jumper settings on both drives, with the new drive set to slave and tried all the setting on the stock drive, also tried both on cable select and still no results, i also had a look at the gentoox loader that starts before chimp and gentoox doesn't pick up the second drive either, only picking up hda the same as chimp. At a loss at what to do at the minute so thanks for the help so far and hopefully you'll have some ideas
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Interesting. A new issue. You can verify that this HDD works in a computer and is functioning? The next question is are you sure that the power supply you are using is functioning correctly? I'm curious now.
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
UtterPerplexity

I have dig through my parts bin and found an old pc board with IDE connectors on so will give it a try. I know the PSU works as it powers my computer i use daily. I simply use a spare molex to power the HDD. Will report back when ive given the IDE board a try with my new drive
locutus2000

Post by locutus2000 »

I have just upgraded my xbox with a WD1600AJS SATA drive of 160GB using this SATA converter: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SATA-7-1 ... 18372.html. The weirdest thing happened. While cloning the drive with the SATA adapter set to SLAVE all worked fine. But when I locked the drive and set it to master it booted up with error 13 with the SATA drive. Then I read somewhere it might work with an 80 PIN UDMA66/133 cable. So I replaced the cable (In reverse order, mainboard connector in HDD, HDD connector on mainboard so the cable would fit) it booted up fine.

Perhaps this is a good addition to the instructions as I cloned the drive a few times before swapping the cable and found the solution.
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Thank you for your input, and your recommendations were added to the original post. I never thought about that as I personally have never used an adapter. Good catch. Resistance is futile.

1 year between posts. This thread will never die! (Don't lock it to be funny Buzz... :) )
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
locutus2000

Post by locutus2000 »

Nice! Thanks for adding it! Cool to see still such an active community around the XBOX alive.