HDMI Out for original XBOX

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
wrecklessk

HDMI Out for original XBOX

Post by wrecklessk »

Hey!

I've added HDMI out to my XBOX!

Here is some sneak previews:
2013-12-05 13.31.28.jpg
2013-12-05 14.37.58.jpg
2013-12-05 20.11.58.jpg
2013-12-05 20.12.26.jpg
I have enough pictures to write a tutorial for this... If anyone is interested... :mrgreen:

Just waiting on attachment permissions!

Cheers for now..

m.
xman

Re: HDMI Out for original XBOX

Post by xman »

Interesting. please add your pics with a tutorial. This looks like a nice mod. Try to make the tutorial simple but precise and others like myself may try it ourselves.
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Nice. A good, clean tutorial would be phenomenal. Post it up, many of us would be willing to add it.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

wrecklessk wrote:I've added HDMI out to my XBOX!

I have enough pictures to write a tutorial for this... If anyone is interested...
Incredibly neat work. Yes please.
wrecklessk

Post by wrecklessk »

Awesome!

I'll take the time tonight to write it up :)
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

I don't want to sound like the party breaker... But this is not a native HDMI port... This is an internal Componant to HDMI adapter.
This would be important to mention it as its completely different.
wrecklessk

Post by wrecklessk »

Xphazer wrote:I don't want to sound like the party breaker... But this is not a native HDMI port... This is an internal Componant to HDMI adapter.
This would be important to mention it as its completely different
This is true. But it saves the hassle of having the adapter external, as well as having to power it externally as well. It still operates in 1080i, 720p etc no problem.
The adapter is powered directly off of the switched 5v on the motherboard so it turns on and off with the Xbox power switch. Its also set up so that if you have to remove the motherboard, everything comes out in one piece without having to desolder much (just the video mode switch on the back would have to be desoldered... 4 tiny wires, no big deal)

M.
nayparm

Post by nayparm »

Hey nice one mate, you beat me to it. Very nice install. Which converter did you get? I still have a bid on one that ends tomorrow.
What is the quality like compared to straight component?
nayparm

Post by nayparm »

Looking at the top pic it looks like you've added some pretty beefy caps in there haha :-D
wrecklessk

Post by wrecklessk »

nayparm wrote:Hey nice one mate, you beat me to it. Very nice install. Which converter did you get? I still have a bid on one that ends tomorrow.
What is the quality like compared to straight component?
I actually find that the color quality is a bit better when using emulators.

It works beautifully :)

I'm not sure of the converter brand, but the size and shape of it made mounting it to the motherboard a snap! (I used brass stand offs soldered to the metal shielding over the Ethernet and A/V ports)
asbo

Post by asbo »

nayparm wrote:Looking at the top pic it looks like you've added some pretty beefy caps in there haha :-D
I thought the same thing :D
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

wrecklessk wrote:
nayparm wrote:I'm not sure of the converter brand, but the size and shape of it made mounting it to the motherboard a snap! (I used brass stand offs soldered to the metal shielding over the Ethernet and A/V ports)
Ah, that answers that question for me then.

Xphazer's point is well worth stating - for anyone coming fresh to the original XB0X, they might have thought this mod was exposing HDMI straight off the Xcalibur/Focus/Conexant video chip - which of course it is not. There is no native HDMI support, it is taking component output and converting to HDMI for ease of connection to modern tellies without the additional cost of, increasingly difficult to find, XB0X component cables.

[...awaits deluge of links to sellers of component cables]
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

wrecklessk wrote:I'm not sure of the converter brand
I'd suggest that's probably the most important detail - the make and part number of a converter that is the right shape and size and with the connectors in the right places to allow it to fit neatly inside an Xbox case.
wrecklessk

Post by wrecklessk »

Heimdall wrote:
wrecklessk wrote:I'm not sure of the converter brand
I'd suggest that's probably the most important detail - the make and part number of a converter that is the right shape and size and with the connectors in the right places to allow it to fit neatly inside an Xbox case.
When I first dug around in the forums, I came across this post which mentions the exact converter that I used.

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... HDMI#p8448

But I'm sure that any converter of similar size would work. It would just require a bit of imagination to fix it in place. In fact, the converters that have digital audio (which I wish I would have used...) are actually a good bit smaller than this converter.

I started writing it up last night, but unfortunately, my effin laptop died in mid post... so I lost about an hour of work.:(

Ill continue the write up today...

M.
xman

Post by xman »

I was well aware this was not an Xbox hack to get HDMI out of the board and was an adapter mounted inside the machine, one look at the pictures confirms this point, however I believe it is important to see how Wrecklessk did his install and what part he used stems from the fact that I know the manufacturers of the current generation T.V.s are now phasing out composite, component and DSub connectors from there T.V.s and are supplying T.V.s only with HDMI connectors. We have found this out in the Arcades as we buy many new T.V.s a month because of damage, breakage etc and are having a hard time sourcing T.V.s with anything but HDMI connectors on them, (new arcade games use HDMI but our older games need a DSub connector). We are currently testing a collection of DSub to HDMI convertors so as to keep our older arcade games alive. There are heaps of Component to HDMI convertors available but to find one that you know will fit inside the Xbox case and is said to provide a nice conversion is what really prompted me to ask for a nice pictorial. ;)
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

xman wrote:...a nice pictorial. ;)
I really love the workshop - sixty inch plasma on castors, and an XB0X in bits on the beautifully polished parquet flooring. Great stuff - the way it should be.
rewind94

Post by rewind94 »

Tutorial PLEEEASSSE I LOVE THIS
wrecklessk

Post by wrecklessk »

Sorry guys!

Christmas, New Years....Drunk... LoL

I'm making time to finish the tutorial this month.

Check back soon!

M.
UserT

Post by UserT »

I am so pumped to see this tut! No pressure or anything. :lol:
jrl2222

Post by jrl2222 »

spicemuseum wrote: [...awaits deluge of links to sellers of component cables]
Here you go. This is way cheaper than a converter. I just bought 4 of these, it came to around $23 with shipping. I understand the need for a converter if your T.V. only has HDMI though. So still an interesting Mod.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190848095660?ss ... 1497.l2649