Accidently bricked my xbox, need help!

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
Cyroq

Accidently bricked my xbox, need help!

Post by Cyroq »

Hi all,

I was just installing XBMC 3.3.2 and everything went fine. I installed it via ftp next to the previous one which folder was named XBMC. I thought it would be easier to just rename both folders so the Xbox automatically starts up the 3.3.2 version so I named the folder 'XBMC old' and wanted to rename 'XBMC 332' to just XBMC. Unfortunately, something went wrong and both folders are now named somethign else then XBMC, and my Xbox can't launce XBMC anymore.
I can't change the names of the folders via ftp because I can't login without XBMC running. How can I solve this problem? :o Is there any other way to access the Xbox files via ftp?
trogggy

Re: Accidently bricked my xbox, need help!

Post by trogggy »

Yep.
Read the post at the top of this section.
It's called 'IMPORTANT INFORMATION - read BEFORE posting'. :D

Bottom bit - about Error Recovery Mode' - is what you need.
Cyroq

Post by Cyroq »

Sorry, I read the sticky but I didn't know the Error Recovery Mode is what I was looking for.
Thanks, I'll give it a try!

EDIT: I tried it (holding down white button and Y button) but it doesn't do anything for me. I can literally hear the harddisk being stuck in a boot-loop showing the green Xbox startup screen. Would it be possible to navigate to the dashboard somehow?
My Xbox is soft-modded btw.
Last edited by Cyroq on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trogggy

Post by trogggy »

The other way to get ftp access would be to cold boot an installer disc - I use Hexen - but either way should let you sort it out.
A long as you haven't knacked your softmod (which you obviously haven't) it's just a case of ftping a build to the right place and re-booting.
Cyroq

Post by Cyroq »

trogggy wrote:The other way to get ftp access would be to cold boot an installer disc
Unfortunately I don't have a working cd drive in my Xbox :(

I just realized it makes sense the Error Recovery Mode doesn't work; it's a function of XBMC, but the xbox freezes before it can launch XBMC.
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

How is your Xbox modded ?
Without a working DVD drive its going to be a PITA to fix. Especially if you are using a softmod.
If you are using a softmod and you have no backup of your EEPROM, you are walking on very thin ice ATM my friend!

You would need to use xplorer360 or XboxHDM to access the HDD from your PC. (remove the HDD from the Xbox and connect it on your PC)
If your HDD is locked, you will need to hotswap. (I think that can work, never done it though)

Can you not just borrow a friend Xbox or something like that ?
Also check your local classified ad's websites, local good thrift shops and pawn shops.. you can find some Xbox for crazy cheap.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

As Xphazer says I do hope you've got your eeprom backed up. With a working DVD it's simple enough to fix but without its going to be a lot of hassle I'm afraid :(
Cyroq

Post by Cyroq »

Thank you for your replies. I do have a friend who owns an Xbox, I'll see him in 2 weeks but I hope to fix it before that. Where I live thrift and pawn shops aren't that common, in fact: this Xbox is my second one (the last one died after 13 years of service) and the only one working I could find, except for the drive.

I think I made a backup back in the days, but I'm not sure. I was planning on buying the Raspberry Pi since a newer version of XBMC can be run on that, maybe this is the sign to do it ;) Meanwhile I'll give it a try to connect the HDD to my PC.
Cyroq

Post by Cyroq »

One more update; I tried to hotswap but no success.
On the first computer (using 1 IDE cable) the hdd isn't recognized. A second computer did recognize the hdd but Xplorer360 can't find it. The Hdd was in master mode and connected directly to the IDE port using 1 cable. Also, the green light on the Xbox turned flashing red/green as soon as Windows began starting up, is it supposed to do that?
Sidenote: my Xbox is softmodded using the Splintercell/usb method.
sahib12

Post by sahib12 »

Hey dude, im going through this painful process on one of my xbox's, ive had no luck so far but i've got plently of links you could takee a look at. I'll post them tomorrow.
Cyroq

Post by Cyroq »

Glad to hear I'm not alone ;) Do you still have those links?

I connected a working dvd drive to my xbox last week and tried to boot a cd with Heimdalls HeXEn on it. Unfortunately, the xbox did not boot it. The disk starts spinning, and it is reading something, but after a few seconds it continues to normally boot xbox (which of course does not work: boot loop).
Are there any other useful boot disks around to access the hard disk's files?
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Slayer's 2.98 Auto-installer will give you FTP access, hell it might even give you a filemanager option through a dashboard.
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
Cyroq

Post by Cyroq »

Ok, I tried the auto-installer (burned the ISO to cd) but my Xbox simply won't boot the disk. It starts spinning and stops after a few seconds, then I hear the hard disk being stuck in a loop and the startup logo freezes.
What to do? I read something about issues with the internal clock which makes it impossble to boot a cd, might that have to do anything with this?
captainsensation

Post by captainsensation »

Im surprised the discs dont work. Did you try auto installer deluxe?

Does your buddys xbox have a chip in it? Since hotswapping didnt work you may have to resort to putting your hdd in a chipped xbox or ultimately having to put one in your own.
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

Did you try different brand and type of disc ?
The Xbox DVD-ROM is very picky. Try some Verbatim DVD-R and CD-R.
Cyroq

Post by Cyroq »

captainsensation wrote:...you may have to resort to putting your hdd in a chipped xbox...
My xbox is softmodded, my friend's xbox is chipped. Would it work to just swap the hdd's?

The brand of the disks could be a problem, I used a cheap brand (Platinum). I'll look out for Verbatim cd's and try it again!
captainsensation

Post by captainsensation »

Cyroq wrote:
captainsensation wrote:...you may have to resort to putting your hdd in a chipped xbox...
My xbox is softmodded, my friend's xbox is chipped. Would it work to just swap the hdd's?

The brand of the disks could be a problem, I used a cheap brand (Platinum). I'll look out for Verbatim cd's and try it again!
put yours in his and run the slayers or aid disc in his and you should not only be able to FTP but also use the disc to put a version of xbmc4xbox on it. I think you should be fine after that.
sahib12

Post by sahib12 »