In car xbox...the fun begins

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
sealeysonic

In car xbox...the fun begins

Post by sealeysonic »

Hi all as some of you may know from the `show us ur daily Driver` Thread I have a xbox in my car....

Now all sounds great as the audio is playing though my car stereo with amps and sub whofers etc....now i know all works well i want to hide the xbox and power supply etc

now the screen is a 7` tft screen from ebay....now i think its going to stay where it is near the asktray...it just unplugs when i remove it from the car over night etc

Heres the basic set up.....tv...and xbox in the passenger side footewell.....now you can see why i need to mod and move the xbox so it can not be seen..... :lol: :lol:

screen removed

Lid closed

Now foe my master plan.....here is the Glove box and place where you can put junk etc above the glove box)

Now the plan is to fit the xbox in the Glove Box.....so i had a v1.1 mother bored that was no use to me so i used it to see if i can fit it in the Glove box.....with a power supply ect

Its a tight fit but will work im hoping....I have no need for a DVD drive...so thats been modded so its just a PCB from the drive....theres room for the harddrive in there and game ports etc....But i did have the idea to have the game ports and power switch(the whole front of the xbox) in the bit above the glove box....which will mean extending the game port wiring etc...

This will mean me extending the length of the wiring to the ON/OFF button and ports.

or leave the ports as they are and refit them in the glove box and use one of these to `move the game port` to where ever i want

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160729983181? ... 1423.l2649

Any ideas on this...?

Last edited by sealeysonic on Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sealeysonic

Re: In car xbox...the fun begins

Post by sealeysonic »

18 views and no comments lol :ugeek:
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Well to be fair I've looked at it twice lol

Looks great mate, very well done. Makes me want to install one into my car but the xbox would be worth more than the car! Some idiot recently wrote mine off so I'm now driving an old Ford Ka that cost me £400 with MOT and a full tank of fuel :lol:
infinity8x3

Post by infinity8x3 »

Not enough airflow in there for me. personally I would have the xbox in the trunk (in my case hatchback) run the av cables along with the rca's that are already ran from the head unit to the amp in the back. Splice into the power and ground that already exist for the amp. Then get a Logitech wireless controller. Also that way the xbox could still be used in other places. But that's just me.

But in all reality if i was going to put something in my car it would be a raspberry pi with xbmc on it. Now i do have a xbox in my giant conversion van lol but not my car.
Got a pit bull?
http://mypitbullpro.com
sealeysonic

Post by sealeysonic »

yeh i thought about the heat problem...i could install a cooling fan to blow air into and out of the glove box...there is a aircon feed to the glove box but my air con needs a regas.

the air con comes through the vent at the back...

Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Man tucking it into the dashboard like that looks very cool..........but I agree heat will be an issue. +1 for keeping it in the trunk with a wireless logitech remote. I still think it would be cool to attach it to a wifi router and use a smart phone to control it too.

EDIT: That mobo in the glove box isnt worthless homey, it's got a good passive GPU heatsink you can steal :D
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Yep I think more stealth is required.... +1 on boot install, the old gal was never a looker, not sure I'd want it looking at me from the dash! :lol:
sealeysonic

Post by sealeysonic »

Theres no room in the boot

the only other option is sat on the back seat.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

oh dear :) .. boy racer, or midlife crisis? :lol:
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Holy sh!t! :lol:

How about ebaying the earth moving equipment and going for a set of Infinity's and a 10" bazooka tube? then you could have your boot back and save on tinnitus in later life? ;)
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

No Way!!!!!! Keep the Bang in the back. Funny this does shed some light on the issue, if the old box were in the back I wonder if it would mess with the hard drive seeing as how you have two 13million pound magnets in the back!! :lol: Even if you could mount it in the back what would happen with that much vibration?
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
Debug kit untouched
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Run the xbox with a small SSD... pretty cheap now and wont be affected by magnets and vibration... ;)
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Wow, didnt even know SSD was an option for us. This could be a new route for slimbox's. On the slim note.....thought about slimming the case down a bit and tucking it away?
Debug kit untouched
sealeysonic

Post by sealeysonic »

BuZz wrote:oh dear :) .. boy racer, or midlife crisis? :lol:
Im 44 years old lol so mid life crisis might be right....I like my music and yeh some times loud....its also cool when some boy racer pulls up at the lights and thinks hes soooo cool with his 6x9 speakers and 10` sub....until i turn up the xbox etc

Now you see why i want to stick the xbox in the glove box....yeh i could get a Raspberry PI and hide that.....but i think its way cooler to have a 10 year old xbox kick ass and be proud if it.....yeh you can get Dvd/tv head units for cars but once again xbmc4xbox looks better in so many ways with a 400gb HD and stunning good looks.
sealeysonic

Post by sealeysonic »

Nextelhalo wrote:Wow, didnt even know SSD was an option for us. This could be a new route for slimbox's. On the slim note.....thought about slimming the case down a bit and tucking it away?
yeh im also looking into this...mabe placing it under a seat...but there's alsorts of dust and crap get under there...altho i like to keep my car really clean.
sealeysonic

Post by sealeysonic »

Geeba wrote:Run the xbox with a small SSD... pretty cheap now and wont be affected by magnets and vibration... ;)
ive no idea what an SSD is ;)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

nor do you know what a "reasonable sized car audio system" is ;-) :lol: /me hides

I could probably recharge some of my hardware devices from the magnetic field coming from your car!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

sealeysonic wrote:
BuZz wrote:oh dear :) .. boy racer, or midlife crisis? :lol:
Im 44 years old lol so mid life crisis might be right....I like my music and yeh some times loud....its also cool when some boy racer pulls up at the lights and thinks hes soooo cool with his 6x9 speakers and 10` sub....until i turn up the xbox etc

Now you see why i want to stick the xbox in the glove box....yeh i could get a Raspberry PI and hide that.....but i think its way cooler to have a 10 year old xbox kick ass and be proud if it.....yeh you can get Dvd/tv head units for cars but once again xbmc4xbox looks better in so many ways with a 400gb HD and stunning good looks.
I'd still probably go for the pi myself. Don't go out into the desert to cook up some crystal meth and run out of battery by leaving the xbox on!
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

"Now you see why i want to stick the xbox in the glove box....yeh i could get a Raspberry PI and hide that.....but i think its way cooler to have a 10 year old xbox kick ass and be proud if it.....yeh you can get Dvd/tv head units for cars but once again xbmc4xbox looks better in so many ways with a 400gb HD and stunning good looks."

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How much room do you have under those seats??
Debug kit untouched
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

A slim with SSD would slip under a seat easily, i could fit 2 x full size xboxes under my seats only need to find a spot for a screen.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.