How big's your library?

General discussion relating to XBMC4XBOX. Please use the support forums for help on using the software or plugins.
evan_almighty

How big's your library?

Post by evan_almighty »

The reason I ask is that I'm struggling to play films from the Movies/Title page now.
Can play ok from recently added just fine.

Most things are set to default, i.e. minimal settings ftp off, no additional codecs, amd 720 rather than 1080 etc.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?
I'll get a log up when I get home.
whufclee

Re: How big's your library?

Post by whufclee »

A massive library certainly did used to cause issues with FreeMem, if you enable debugging you'll be able to see on screen what's going on - just keep an eye on the FreeMem. If if goes down to zero when clicking on something try searching by genre or some kind of smaller list and see what the numbers look like in that list.

I've not had this problem in a long time but no longer scan my giant library into the xbox, I pretty much just stream from addons these days. You may find if you compress the images using todds (it's very simple to use) then that may just give you enough freemem. If you do this you'll have to enable dds in advancedsettings too. I'll add it to my growing list of video guides I need to do!
captainsensation

Post by captainsensation »

I usually stream from a large hard drive but i upgraded my xbox hard drive to a 1 TB a couple of months ago. I typically on scrape files on the xbox to keep the library thumbnails low and i turn off auto detect. I would like to keep the FTP off but i frequently use it to send files and im too lazy to turn it on back and forth. I would export my library if i were you and clean it. See if that helps if not you can import it back again to avoid scanning everything again.
evan_almighty

Post by evan_almighty »

Thanks for the replies guys and apologies for the delay in coming back, been hectic.
OK, results vary, when putting into debug mode.

During the startup scanning of the shares I'm seeing the freemem counter at 33/34 MB
Compression of the dB at the end drops this to 25/26 MB
When that completes it reverts to 33/34 MB, which I don't think is bad at all, unless people tell me differently.

OK, I enter the Movies/Titles page from the main menu (confluence lite)
And that takes me immediately down to 24.5 MB
If I scan across the films (448 of them) one by one slowly this can drop to as low as 7 MB, but
when I stop on a particular one for a few seconds it goes back up to 20/21 MB
If I scan across them quickly, holding the button down, this goes down to 7 MB minumum that I can spot easily.
Stopping on one again and a couple of seconds later we're back to 20/21 MB.
So no difference there really, fast or slow scan.

OK, selecting a film, if it plays, it averages around 11 MB for the first film. tried to play a second one this time
and it crashed, see the log.
The time before I managed to play 2 in a row, not all the way to the end, let's just say a 2 minute intro for this
testing. 11 MB first film, 8MB second film.

What does everyone think?

http://pastebin.com/CxQ37msF

It definitely ran out of memory on the second film this time and I never got even a frame up on the display.

Thanks
Last edited by evan_almighty on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

The issue with memory taking a second or two to free up after scrolling through is a known issue so you should always wait a couple of seconds before clicking on an item otherwise it won't play or you'll get a freeze. Other than that I don't know mate, the Freemem you described sounds about right but using dds might free up a smidgen more RAM.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

my library has 5334 movies in it except with actor thumbs turned off and I never have problems with crashing.
it can take some time to put up thumbs and goes slow from time to time but it never fails.

my art in jpg format 1920 X 1080 16:9 and a poster hight of 1080 and have network stored art nfo's and movies.
evan_almighty

Post by evan_almighty »

Hi Dan,

This looks like the best option, as Lee mentioned above.
However I can't seem to get ToDDS to do anything in the fanart directory.

I put in the ip address, username and password (still the defaults.
I press go and I get: -

Execution Started.
Connecting to xbox
Successfully connected as user "xbox".
Disconnecting.
Execution Completed.
Elapse Time: 00:00:01

Above I get
Converted: 0 Skipped: 0 Failed:0
And the completed bar only gets to 60% before it stops.

No changes made to the files in the directory as checked the last modified date in filezilla
still the same as when I did the 3.3.1 install.

Any ideas?
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

I don't understand why ToDDS is recommended here. Since BuZz added libjpeg-turbo, ToDDS should be obsolete and useless.
Maza

Post by Maza »

ToDDS is still recommended, because it saves RAM whereas libjpeg makes loading the images faster without saving the amount as RAM as ToDDS does. The bigger your library the more ToDDS can make a difference RAM wise, whereas having a smaller library libjpeg will do the job just fine.
Xbox 1.4, softmod, 250 GB HDD, Monster Gamelink 400 X Component Video & Monster LightWave 100 X, silent fan mod, Confluence Lite 720p
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

I done a lot of testing on the dds vs jpegturbo when buzz first implemented it and there was minimal difference. Both saved RAM and were quicker to load but if I remember correctly using the dds method was VERY SLIGHTLY more effective. I think with dds enabled you gained between 1 and 2 mb FreeMem.

@Evan: No changes are made to the files, the old files stay but a set of new .dds images are created Are you pointing it to the correct directory? It's been a while since I used it to be honest so now I've thought about it I don't think it even has a function to change the directory does it? Sorry maybe maza can help on that one, I don't have an xbox setup at the moment so can't test for you.
Maza

Post by Maza »

Evan I experienced the same problem as you did, what helped for me is changing the XBMC Dir to /Q/. Doing this will create the extra dds sets both, don't worry, even though your XBMC is probably installed under E-Apps-XBMC it changes everything without any problems.
Xbox 1.4, softmod, 250 GB HDD, Monster Gamelink 400 X Component Video & Monster LightWave 100 X, silent fan mod, Confluence Lite 720p
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Q: is a mapping and it always points to where your XBMC4Xbox is installed - see the top of your Q:\xbmc.log.

So yes, it is a good idea to use that, especially if you don't know exactly where your XBMC4Xbox is installed.
evan_almighty

Post by evan_almighty »

Thanks Dan, /Q/ did the trick.
OK, so ran through and on scanning through the films now and stopping, I'm seeing 24.5 MB free, so there's about a 3.5-4 MB saving for me doing ToDDS. Thanks very much guys.

Cheers
Maza

Post by Maza »

Evan glad to read that everything worked out :)