Random Video Drop-outs (HD)

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
poshea

Random Video Drop-outs (HD)

Post by poshea »

Hi. I have a softmodded PAL Xbox (Australia) (used Krayzie NDure 1.1) with an upgraded hard drive. Have set up XBMC4XBOX 3.3(boots directly using SHORTCUT by TEAM UIX.xbe) for my folks and have been very impressed that its been able to play all our old digitized VHS tapes off the internal HDD, plus have been streaming movies too it over our home network. Everything overall has been working amazingly well!

I read that it was possible to upgrade the system to HD, so I purchased a component cable from EBAY (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-5m-Officia ... 4ac3162d23. I switched my Xbox to NTSC using Video Select v2 tool, and am now able to run XBMC in 480 and 720 (1080 eventually crashes the system).

Since changing to HD I have started to get random video drop outs - where the TV will suddenly go black for a second or two and then flicks back on. It doesnt seem to be at regular intervals, sometimes you can almost get through a whole movie with only one or two dropouts... other times it, seems to do it every 10 to 15 minutes... seems very random. It doesnt only happen when playing a movie... it can happen in a game or even if just sitting on a menu screen in XBMC.

This leads me to believe its got nothing to do with the XBMC software, but I'm guessing either a weird issue with the new composite cable... or perhaps an issue between the NTSC signal and Toshiba REGZA TV??

Anyone have any ideas what would cause a video drop out like that? My best guess is that its the cable... but don't really understand how they work... is data buffered within the cable itself? could a bad solider joint be the problem? i tried checking the cable joins, but they are protected by a metal enclosure that I'd prefer not to mess with unless I really have to. Apart from the occasional dropout the video signal is very clear.

Any thoughts or ideas greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Paul.
xman

Re: Random Video Drop-outs (HD)

Post by xman »

The machine wouldn't happen to be a 1.6 would it?. I have a 1.6 that does it for no apparent reason only when running it on NTSC but doesn't miss a beat on PAL. I have even transferred the HDD into a non 1.6 machine and run it on NTSC using the exact same component leads and the problem is gone. That's on a Samsung T.V. by the way. I have also found on any 1.6 machine running NTSC, a noticeable video glitch when the machine initially boots up prior to the bios splash screen. The bootup glitch isn't a real problem but the other certainly is with my T.V. coming up with a "no signal" error message momentarily and the sound also drops out for a second or two. This seems to happen totally at random and all but stops after about two hours of use.
poshea

Post by poshea »

hey. no this is a v1.1. But like yours, it never skipped a beat running PAL. Interesting that it stops happening after a few hours use. I think mine may also happen less frequently after the xbox has been on for a while but difficult to tell as its such an intermittent problem. Mine doesn't cut out long enough to get a no signal from the TV... just a flash of black and its back. Audio doesn't seem to cut, at least I haven't noticed so if it does, its only for a few ms.

Wish I knew what else to try to trouble shoot the problem... just configured movies to play at 720, but running XBMC dash at 1080 using PMIII.HD - looks so good in HD. (BIG thanks to the developers of XBMC4XBOX) Just updated to the latest nightly build (31789) and I also have a secondary composite in on this TV - so I'll switch to that to see if it makes a difference...

I'm looking at the dash in 1080 now and its crystal clear, not a sign of any ghosting at all... I just don't know what would technically cause a drop in signal... sync?

I'm running XBMC as the primary dash, (VIDEO & XBE Region: NTSC M, Europe / Australia) but is it possible for video settings in my UnleashX dash or the MS Dash to conflict with the XBMC settings to cause these drop outs? For example, in UnleashX dash, should faster refresh rate be on? Under video mode, auto switch is set to No, multi region mode is off and force PAL60 is NO. Are these even relevant since XBMC sets its own video preferences... I noticed when I enabled 1080 in XBMC, it also showed as enabled in UnleashX and MS Dash... so some settings are interconnected. Will it make any difference in XBMC if I change a video preference in UnleashX?
xman

Post by xman »

I've never noticed any other app having any influence over the default app like XBMC's setting but it won't hurt to try. You may also wish to try "Enigma PAL to NTSC switcher" to switch PAL to NTSC instead of the one you tried. You may also like to make sure your component lead set is fully pushed home in the socket not that I think that is your problem. Good luck aye. ;)
poshea

Post by poshea »

thanks man. yea, it was Enigmah video mode switcher i used. cable is seated securely. changing to another component input didn't fix it. neither did changing a few video settings in unleashx. i might try switching back to my original cable, but leave the xbox set to NTSC and see what happens... i know ill lose my HD capability, but if it does happen to still drop out I'll know its not the cable, and is something to do with the NTSC setting....
shady7

Post by shady7 »

Hi there, I had a similar situation every so often screen blacks out for a couple of seconds but audio carries on I have V1.4 with component cables. I even posted on this site Whufclee thought it could be power spikes or surges caused other electronic equipment e.g fridge. I've never done anything about it but I will be watching this thread to see if you can get it fixed ;)
poshea

Post by poshea »

So I've switched back to my original microsoft composite cable but left all other settings the same, so xbox is still running NTSC. Things looking quite blurry without HD!! But so far no drop outs. So I think that rules out power spikes. It has to be the cable or maybe an issue with the activation of 480, 720, 1080 modes. But considering this does not seem a common issue, I'm leaning towards cable. Mine looks a good design and construction, but it is not an original Microsoft cable... it's 3rd party. I read about people having issues with non genuine cables... But genuine ones are hard to find. Can anyone recommend a 3rd party component cable they know to be good quality and works properly. There are a few on eBay. xman and shady7 - are you using genuine Microsoft cables?
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

I'm just using some cheap cables i got off ebay aus , the original MS HD advanced AV is pretty rare here.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
shady7

Post by shady7 »

Yeah same here just using third party component cable. How often does the drop out happen for you I go through periods that nothing happens then all of a sudden it will a couple of times in the space of half an hour
poshea

Post by poshea »

Yea, exactly the same for me. Can almost get through a movie without a dropout sometimes, other times can happen a few times within half an hour.

This is the cable I am using. Liked that it had the optical out built in also. Picture is clear, no ghosting- just the occasional drop outs.

bigkidoz - can you send a link to, or picture of the cable you have working? they are only about $10 on ebay, so I might buy another one to see if it resolves the issue. there is definetly no going back to SD ;)
shady7

Post by shady7 »

What about those monster component cable of e-bay, look to be good construction but freakn expensive :shock:
DonSaffadu

Post by DonSaffadu »

yeah same problem... pal console 1.6 and sometimes breaks i guess it's because pal systems weren't made for higher resolution... but just a guess :( but it only happens like 10 after 10 minutes sometimes longer so i can bare it
poshea

Post by poshea »

From what I've read, the original Microsoft and Monster Cable would be designed and constructed with the highest quality... But you pay a much higher price for sure. :shock: I'm still not 100% convinced that the cable is the problem.... or as DonSaffadu suggests - a problem with the PAL system running at higher resolutions. I doubt there would be a hardware difference between a PAL and NTSC box, but maybe there is?? My question is, does anybody out there have a PAL xbox they have switched to NTSC using Enigmah and are running at 720 or 1080 without any problems?
xman

Post by xman »

poshea wrote: I doubt there would be a hardware difference between a PAL and NTSC box, but maybe there is??
No difference at all except the power supplies because the video regions usually goes with different mains supplies which could indicate the true problem.
poshea wrote:
My question is, does anybody out there have a PAL xbox they have switched to NTSC using Enigmah and are running at 720 or 1080 without any problems?
I have only one 1.6 machine that "glitches" when it has started. The other 2 1.6 machines don't have this problem only the initial boot glitch before the bios splash that I mentioned before but that is common to all 1.6 machines. I also have 7 machines ranging from 1.2-1.4 machines and none have any glitches at all and all run NTSC at 720p and all these machines all share the same component lead sets all bought from the same supplier and all cost $7 a set on EBay Australia from a guy on the North coast of N.S.W.. What I have noticed is this one 1.6 machine that I have issues with during playing has a hickup when ever I switch on my nearby pinball machine that shares the same power point. This is indicated a link to power spikes causing the problem maybe. :ugeek:
poshea

Post by poshea »

7 xboxs! Wow :P Well it's good to know there are PAL systems running NTSC in HD and working normally without dropouts. I'll try running the xbox from a different power source to see if it helps. I just don't understand why it would glitch running NTSC system but not PAL. Why would a power surge effect it in one mode and not the other? If you switched your problem xbox to PAL, I wonder if it would still glitch when you turn on your pinball machine...

Unfortunately doesn't seem to be anyone local selling the component cables at the moment here in Australia on eBay. Only international dealers in Hong Kong or Uk from what I've seen... I'll have to wait the 4 weeks to get another one posted to try...
poshea

Post by poshea »

I didn't want to believe it... But you may be onto something with power surges being the culprit. I hooked my xbox up to another power outlet, but by chance the washing machine was going at the time I was testing... My screen is flicking allot more frequently, and some are clearly happening when the washing machine motor kicks in, or it moves to the next part of its cycle. Hmmmm. So the other dropouts may be when another large appliance like the fridge compressor starts or stops.... Perhaps some sort of power conditioner would eliminate the issue.
shady7

Post by shady7 »

I see some Xbox's come with some sort of surge guard on the power cable maybe that would help
poshea

Post by poshea »

Yea. I already am using an APC surge protector power board... But I think these only protect against big spikes, they don't actually 'clean' or 'filter' the power. I might need to talk to a friend of mine who is a trained electrical engineer. I've seen a range of products online, but some aimed at the pro audio and home theatre markets are very $$$ Furman for example offer some great products... But you'd be up for $250 or more. :shock: http://www.furmansound.com/product.php? ... d=AC-210AE

JB hifi have a power board for $30 that advertises-
* Power Filter Technology - helps prevent AC and EMI/RFI contamination.
* PureAV Labeling System - cable management system included in every package
* Removes Power spikes, surges and interference
* Delivers clean, clear and safe power
* Lifetime product and Connected Equipment Warranties

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/home%20t ... ket/256846

I'll try it and report back.
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

The cable i have is no longer sold by the seller, xman has 7 but you'll freak when you see my collection :o . I'm in the middle of setting up a workshop with a dedicated clean area set aside for xbox mods.
This is my clean area work bench, still to build another bench and some shelving for my other stuff.
Attachments
IMG183.jpg
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

shady7 wrote:I see some Xbox's come with some sort of surge guard on the power cable maybe that would help
You dont mean that stupid power switch mid cable do you or the little black magnet about 10cm from the end, both dont do much for interference.
I have never had a video dropouts with my cheap cables.