Xbox Not Loading

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
shady7

Xbox Not Loading

Post by shady7 »

Hi everyone I have a 1.6 duox2 chip with evox8+ 1.6 bios and 250gb hdd. Turn on small power button, xbox cycles 3 times with green light coming on off on off on and then goes green and red with no picture on screen I can see duox2 chip flashing red through side grill. I can use eject button to load MS dash no problem. This is an intermittent problem because sometimes it works I have also noticed the clock on xbmc not holding the time after this fault has happened. I took it apart to check modchip Bt and DO wire look alright and soldering looks fine I didn't trace DO wire right back though. Anyone have any ideas thanks for your time
Nextelhalo

Re: Xbox Not Loading

Post by Nextelhalo »

I would double check the soldering on the LPC rebuild board, or maybe just reflow the solder on each joint and then see if it makes it better. Post up some pics of the board and what not. Sometimes wiggling the chip around will shed some light on the problem.
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
shady7

Post by shady7 »

Thanks Nextelhalo so this will involve removing the motherboard and looking at it from underneath for bad solder joints in LPC and pin header? The Duox2 chip says Duox2 GS Hyundai not AMD is this a clone chip? Xbox has started working again, it has lost time again saying 12.00 2004 could this be because of bad solder joints or a power problem? Thanks in advance
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

Check for a leaked or bulged capacitor as well.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Agreed with BK, check the capacitor at the front of the mother board for any leaks, that would explain the time messing up. YES, you would have to remove the motherboard and look at the bottom of it to see the LPC rebuild board. Even if it all looks ok I would atleast reflow the solder to make sure there are not bad connections.
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
Debug kit untouched
shady7

Post by shady7 »

Hi everyone have stripped xbox down. I cant see any bad solder joints or bulging capacitors. I don't have a smaller enough soldering iron to re-do solder joints either. Here are some pics, could it be possible faulty modchip?
Attachments
DSCF1210.JPG
DSCF1206.JPG
DSCF1201.JPG
DSCF1199.JPG
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Hard to say from the pictures but it looks like a pretty clean install. I think re-flowing all the joints on the LPC and the top of the chip would be the best thing to try. Small tip soldering stuff can be had for cheap.
Debug kit untouched
shady7

Post by shady7 »

Hi everyone just an update re-soldered all joints and xbox has been going fine. But in the last couple of weeks when powering on xbox it has been loading MS dash and I can see Duox2 chip LED not blinking through grills, second or third attempt see's Duox2 chip led blinking and it loads xbmc no problem. Is mod chip on the way out. Has anyone else had this issue. Thanks in advance
xman

Post by xman »

I'd have a 2nd usable bios on that 2nd bios that chip supports for when one fails. It's not the chip failing completely, just loosing the bios. I've now had 3 DuoX chips do the same. Just have another usable bios in the 2nd position ready to go and you'll save yourself the need to hotswap and flash the chip later.
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Also remember that the BT wire is attached and, if I remember right, hitting the eject button instead of the power button will disable the chip. I just cant remember if the chip's LED flashes when it's disabled. If that still doesnt do the trick you can try to reflow the solder again or try Xman's suggestion and flash the other bank of the chip with a backup BIOS just in case your current banks is going bad.

Nex
Debug kit untouched
shady7

Post by shady7 »

Thanks guys for the replys I have double checked solder joints they look pretty good. So to flash the bios flick the switch to the other bank and use evox bios flashing method, sorry a bit unsure could someone walk me through it. Xbox is a 1.6 Thanks in advance
shady7

Post by shady7 »

Hi there I think xman maybe on to something can someone tell me how to flash the second bank. I thought v1.6 could only be flashed on bank 1. Do I just flick the switch when I power up xbox and load new bios with evox or should I be using hexen. Any advice would be great thanks