XBMC4Xbox Remote - Android app

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
Dan Dar3

Re: XBMC4Xbox Remote - Android app

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Gasman

Post by Gasman »

Thanks for those Dan, but it seems the play store will not work on the Ziio.

I have tried appbrain, but that insists on using it's app and to get that I get directed to the Play Store. :)
EFORCE

Post by EFORCE »

Not sure if this is the right place, but I am using the XBMC remote app for Windows phone for my RASPBMC install and it works fine.
But can't seem to connect to the XBOX. I am running 3.2.1 - r31678.
But in my settings I cannot see anything for services as shown in the screenshots.
Webserver is on (as per the link provided). Port 80, password has been adjusted.
Does this not work on the stable version. Do I need a nightly to get the Services option on XBMC4XBOX, or have I completely missed something?
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@EFORCE
No, this is the right place, if it's about this app.

Depends on what's not working for you - I had problems when upgrading to 3.2.1 that the databases were not compatible, but that showed in xbmc.log.
I had to install fresh (or I guess delete databases and let them recreate on startup) and then add back (scan) the content again.

If you want to discuss this in detail, send me an email at dan.dar33 at gmail.com, thanks.
EFORCE

Post by EFORCE »

Thanks DandDar, I don't use your app, since I own a Windows phone. So I think the regular XBMC remote just doesn't work with XBMC4XBOX.
I have allow HTTP control enabled, set the port to 80 and made the usename/PW XBMC.
But the app can't find the XBOX: System.Net.WebException Remote server not found.
Anyway, since it is not your app, this is the wron place to discuss....
Gasman

Post by Gasman »

The app XBMC Remote does work with XBMC4XBOX, as I was using this app before moving to Dan's. At first I had problems getting to connect with Dan's, much the same as you are now, yet that app would connect.

So it is likely some setting needs changing.?

If I use the Connect option I get FileNotFound http:/ipaddress/jsonrpc

But if I use Remote Control it works fine (after matching settings in XBMC of course) :)
EFORCE

Post by EFORCE »

Hmmm, I need to play with it some more then.... Haven't been able to makr it work yet.
Gasman

Post by Gasman »

EFORCE wrote:Hmmm, I need to play with it some more then.... Haven't been able to makr it work yet.
You can get some ping tools for android to try and check connection. Any exist for windows phone?
EFORCE

Post by EFORCE »

I'll find out and will open a new topic If I can't find anything. since this topic should focus on the Android app :D
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

v2.6 is out.
Gasman

Post by Gasman »

Dan Dar3 wrote:v2.6 is out.
Nice. Good job on the search Dan. :D
You have created a more functional search than we have in a web app in work. In work we can only use one word, so in the case of Neil Young, we can use either Neil or Young, but not both together. A real pain in the ass when trying to find Jane Smith. :roll:

I'm getting quite a few SocketTimeout Exception messages and once I get one I need to go back to Music and re-enter. Cancel does not seem to do anything.

Any chance of making that an option in parameters?, it happens both on my Galaxy Ace and the Ziio?

TIA
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Thanks, glad you liked it! The default "long" timeout I believe is 5 seconds; clicking "retry" should work, even if say the search is not shown in in the HTTP URL (e.g. for Files the HTTP query doesn't allow for filtering, it's done on the app side, so you won't see it in the URL). But you are right, I should make it available to change in Settings - I would says it's either because you've got a large collection (more data to send) or maybe crowded wi-fi channels? (see if this helps).
Gasman

Post by Gasman »

Dan Dar3 wrote:Thanks, glad you liked it! The default "long" timeout I believe is 5 seconds; clicking "retry" should work, even if say the search is not shown in in the HTTP URL (e.g. for Files the HTTP query doesn't allow for filtering, it's done on the app side, so you won't see it in the URL). But you are right, I should make it available to change in Settings - I would says it's either because you've got a large collection (more data to send) or maybe crowded wi-fi channels? (see if this helps).
Well I do have over 21000 tracks. :D

I've used inssider in the past, but have just moved to the version you show on that link.

Signal is very stable, because I have mine on channel 2 and nearest are 6 and 11. I actually have two routers on channel 2 as they bridge from upstairs to downstairs.

FWIW I stream video from my NAS upstairs to the XBOX downstairs no problem, so I thought my network was pretty good.
Signal does stay around -50db though.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Must be because of the amount of data then... will try to make the timeout accessible so you can change it, or maybe it might be possible to segment the media locations (files), so you're not waiting for the whole lot but in segments of 100 (or a customization amount), although that will probably make it a bit cumbersome to navigate around.
Gasman

Post by Gasman »

Dan Dar3 wrote:Must be because of the amount of data then... will try to make the timeout accessible so you can change it, or maybe it might be possible to segment the media locations (files), so you're not waiting for the whole lot but in segments of 100 (or a customization amount), although that will probably make it a bit cumbersome to navigate around.
Sorry, I've been away for a long weekend. :D

Let me play with it a while and see where the timeout occurs the most. I seem to recall it wasn't on the search, just linking to the music.

I'll get back to you on it.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

If one of you reported recently an ANR with the comment "new music view causes hang. maybe due to library size." can you please PM or email me for more details, thanks.
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

I loaded the app ages ago and didnt think i would use but i had a brainwave, if i wanted to use an xbox slim without a screen i could just use the app on my phone and work out how to wire the avip port to trick it into thinking a cable was plugged in ?
and then possibly just wire speakers directly to the xbox ?
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Haha great minds think alike - you've just had the same idea I had yesterday! I bought a nook ebook reader yesterday as they are currently going for £29 delivered here in the UK and apparently they are easy to root and boot up into android. Ok it's a black and white screen but should be perfect as a remote for when I'm having a BBQ out in the garden and everyone can easily choose their tunes without having to get up. To be honest I'll probably hook my xbox up to a TV anyway as I have one in the shed for nice sunny days like today :)
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

whufclee wrote:Haha great minds think alike - you've just had the same idea I had yesterday! I bought a nook ebook reader yesterday as they are currently going for £29 delivered here in the UK and apparently they are easy to root and boot up into android. Ok it's a black and white screen but should be perfect as a remote for when I'm having a BBQ out in the garden and everyone can easily choose their tunes without having to get up. To be honest I'll probably hook my xbox up to a TV anyway as I have one in the shed for nice sunny days like today :)
I've just about finished a 5 x 3m shed which i think will house my xbox display unit and a tv with xbox as a jukebox, its at the end of the pool area so should work well with some outdoor speakers. I will be running network cable out anyway so can use it to stream music off my pc.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »