Jan'sEnglishXBMC4XBOX PLEASE NOT INSTALL - IS OUTDATED

Discussion of XBMC4XBOX development.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Jan'sEnglishXBMC4XBOX before 3.3 Stable

Post by BuZz »

just install 3.3 and install addons from our repository. There is no need for a build to be shipped with stuff pre-installed when you can install it easily using the installer.
seriouslycgi

Post by seriouslycgi »

i was waiting too as jans builds are for lazy people like me with everything preinstalled. LOL

if jan isnt releasing something new i guess i will do as buzz said and install my own plugins, there are some though thats arent in the repos that jan included in his last rls though, you can pull them from other repos but i dont know if they will work.

thats the good thing about jans builds, and its nothing to do with xbmc4xbox, and no insult to the awesome development that makes this fantastic miracle software we all cant live without. its just that the plugs and addons are ready to go, install for xbmc4xbox take just a little bit more with jans and there is no fussing around you just start using it, but when its a bare bones install theres more work to be done, and sometimes that involves waiting for plugin issues, most of which are kinked out in jans builds.

thats fine if you like to mess around (which i actually do, and actually like to have a minimal install in most things software) but the wife and kids dont like to wait for me to search for fixes, and work arounds, so they have jans builds and i have a barebones install.

i appreciate all the work thats gone into xbmc4xbox, i actually treasure the old xboxes still today, regularly clean them and upgrade the drives when i can, we have 4 installed and 3 of them are used daily guaranteed i think its brilliant that they are still ahead of current entertainment solutions, although they are starting to catch on ;) .

build once and copy everything to the next machine i guess and it will be easy to build your own custom plugin install.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Like you say it's easy enough to copy over the addons from an old install. If you do that however I would recommend installing the 3.3 and then re-installing the addons via A4X - the build is working great and there is plenty of content on the A4X installer that works right out of the box with no hacks needed - Jan also helps maintain this so most of his adapted addons are also on there. That will always be the most up to date way of getting your fixes, direct from A4X.
cannellizer

Post by cannellizer »

Hi folks, New to the XBMC4XBOX Scene. Not completely new to XBMC, but i suppose I am new enough. At any rate, I've been having trouble getting icefilms to work with XBMC4Xbox.

Here is what I've done. First off, I downloaded and installed "Jan's....before 3.3 Stable" of Xbmc4Xbox. Everything looked great, no problems getting into icefilms and [removed]. However once I reached the point where you would have links such as filenuke, or movreel, etc. There was nothing, the links were missing. Ex (Icefilms>Movies>Popular>Godfather>HD720>"Blank".....) this was the case for both icefilms and [removed].

Couldn't figure it out, so then I ended up just downloading and installing the xbmc4xbox 3.2.1 stable and installed [removed] and icefilms manually. [removed] worked, but Icefilms kept giving me script error. It wouldn't actually get into the plugin.

I've searched and searched for a solution, but to no avail. Found a "fix" but was dated back to 2011, and instructions seemed outdated.

I love Jan's set up, but couldn't get either plugin to work, however with the previous version, i could get [removed] to work but not icefilms, but its not as nice as Jan's set up.

Your thoughts. Thank you so much for any help.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

The fix is pretty simple, just install the latest stable build (3.3) and install the addons via addons4xbox installer. However what I will say is StreamAllThis, VideoBull & Movie25 are better plugins on the xbox and they can also be found on the installer.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

This thread should be clearly marked in the topic to not be used. I do not want users running out of date development code, nor the added confusion of this forum having to support differently packaged builds. Please fix it thanks.
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

I can not cleary understand what you mean!

The user ask for a build what have preinstalled addons what works out of the box!

in the first time from Jan'sxbmc4xbox as i hate adapted all the addons and scriptmodule that she working on the old fucking python was is nice for the User and for you!
This Build have bring xbmc4xbox a great step forward and have many bring back to the xbox or win new users for xbmc4xbox!

BUT on this Time Jan'sxbmc4xbox is outdatet!

You(BuzZ) have integrated python 2.7 on the nightly and you are on the way to make xbmc4xbox better and better (you work on the integration and installation from the addons like main xbmc not over the addon.py and many more and this is nice and a great step for xbmc4xbox!

Kill the thread or do what you mean !
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

skatulskijean wrote: BUT on this Time Jan'sxbmc4xbox is outdatet!
exactly - it is outdated, and yet people are still installing it. Also many of the shipped plugins are broken (another reason why packaging up stuff is flawed as opposed to installing from the repo). Please change the topic and description to reflect this so we do not having new users running it over the new release.

I also do not want the fragmentation of multiple "packages" of xbmc4xbox released on this forum. It takes up enough time supporting one.
seriouslycgi

Post by seriouslycgi »

i do agree, some of the plugs like [removed] broke over time.

maybe someone could package the plugins as a download to just drop into the plugins directory? just trying to provide feedback as jans builds take a lot of work out of the equation, and as long as he enjoys doing it we enjoy using them.

i am building on my lounge machine and copying over to the others now. if jan stops releasing then everyone will just have to do the same

its seriously just an extention on the work you have put in buzz, i know you dont like to support different builds but technically you dont support any builds at all. so every person coming here has done what jan and bak3d pi has, and built from source ;)

ive used linux for 13 years and i still hate compiling

again xbmc is amazing, its so much a miracle that it exists my phone has more memory and cpu than this 12 year old hardware. and its still above what any smartphone, smart tv, or media centre can do.

users have been lucky since 2003 to have such an amazing choice. i remember working for a security and entertainment installer in 2002. he was talking about media solutions and what they can do, and back then people were paying him $100,000 to set up entertainment centers that couldnt do a fraction of what xbmc has been able to from the beginning.

how much further can this go? is there stil room to improve or are you at the limit already?

my xboxes all had bad caps to remove, im not so sure there will be many left in years to come, i have 2 spares but i think ill grab some more for $1 each. its a shame 360 wont be the same.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

seriouslycgi wrote: its seriously just an extention on the work you have put in buzz, i know you dont like to support different builds but technically you dont support any builds at all. so every person coming here has done what jan and bak3d pi has, and built from source ;)
No need to package as downloads, as we have the installer system, that handles dependencies (and works well enough for the time being).

In regards to support I mean of course I support builds that are not modified and are built from the latest stable release branch.

I am still improving on the source tree (you can check the svn activity)
seriouslycgi

Post by seriouslycgi »

you are right, there was a lot of hard work put into this plugin repo/installer system for this very reason.

and it installs depends which is super time saving, i really love that automation, way better tahn the old way

i think because you dont supply pre-compiled builds these package builds will happen no matter what, it is rather easy to customise your install after you build or get your hands on a build. i mean there are about 70 plugins in jans build that i either dont want to use or cant use (geo location, language).

i think a barebones build is very much needed though like bak3d pi is supplying and then jan goes a step further and just supplies the 90+ plugins he has tested etc, its a massive temptation, but like you say some are outdated (the 1st post needs to reflect that this build is like a year old) and as i said some plugs are just taking up space.

not many people want to roll their own from source, its hard enough softmodding, for most users. ( i use babylon (2013 exploit) to softmod but its unavailable publicly its at xbox-hq on polite request and he (sppv) even rolls out a 1GB build with plugins and a different skin) so compiling will just be a deal breaker, unless your thrifty.

im just kinda trying to supply feedback from a user perspective, your hard work is still very much appreciated by all of us.
cannellizer

Post by cannellizer »

whufclee wrote:The fix is pretty simple, just install the latest stable build (3.3) and install the addons via addons4xbox installer. However what I will say is StreamAllThis, VideoBull & Movie25 are better plugins on the xbox and they can also be found on the installer.
Hey thanks for the reply. So I went ahead on got the 3.3 build. Installed icefilms, StreamAllThis, VideoBull, and Movie25.

Icefilms still does the script error, I can't even get into the addon....

StreamAllThis works just fine

Movie25 works just fine

VideoBull lets me get in, but if I choose a letter for the movie title like "A", "B", etc. it gives me the script error, script error if i try to search, and script error if i choose a page from the latest TV show feed.

The reason I favor Icefilms over all is because of the HD options, but mainly because you can download the movies or shows.

I have tried everything i can think of.... which isn't too much, even along with googling it, but can't find out what to do about the icefilms error script.... what do you think?
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

VideoBull lets me get in, but if I choose a letter for the movie title like "A", "B", etc. it gives me the script error, script error if i try to search, and script error if i choose a page from the latest TV show feed.
I know they had changed something on the site and kozz was fixing it the other day but I thought he'd sorted it out. I'll have a go in a while and see if I'm getting the same results here.
The reason I favor Icefilms over all is because of the HD options, but mainly because you can download the movies or shows.
Do you manage to find many HD titles on IceFilms that willl work on xbox? I've found a few over the years but lately they all seem to be encoded with settings the xbox can't handle and you get dropped frames all over the place, either that or the old girl runs out of FreeMem and freezes. I would suggest if you want to download try using Navi-X. As I mentioned the 3 addons I suggested are made especially for the xbox and run perfect for me every time, IceFilms has had to be adpated from mainbranch which isn't ideal as there's a lot of code in there that needs hacking so bugs are most likely going to occur requently.
I have tried everything i can think of.... which isn't too much, even along with googling it, but can't find out what to do about the icefilms error script.... what do you think?
Posting a debug log is the obvious choice ;)
cannellizer

Post by cannellizer »

whufclee wrote:
I know they had changed something on the site and kozz was fixing it the other day but I thought he'd sorted it out. I'll have a go in a while and see if I'm getting the same results here.
Do you manage to find many HD titles on IceFilms that willl work on xbox? I've found a few over the years but lately they all seem to be encoded with settings the xbox can't handle and you get dropped frames all over the place, either that or the old girl runs out of FreeMem and freezes. I would suggest if you want to download try using Navi-X. As I mentioned the 3 addons I suggested are made especially for the xbox and run perfect for me every time, IceFilms has had to be adpated from mainbranch which isn't ideal as there's a lot of code in there that needs hacking so bugs are most likely going to occur requently.
Posting a debug log is the obvious choice ;)
Wow, you are a champion, thank you again for the great reply.

So as far as Icefilms goes, I have only used it on my G-Box Midnight MX2 tv box and every HD link I have used works perfect, but from what you have said this is not the case for using it on the Xbox. I didn't realize that until you said something. I'm not necessarily that big a fan of streaming, so i like the fact that i can download the movie/show and watch it later in my own time without any chance of failure/buffer/etc. whatever. I will definitely check out Navi-X as well.

I'm not sure when I'll get another chance to mess with the xbox, as it is at my folks house at the moment (I don't actually have an internet service provider per say, I just set my phone as a hot spot and tether, and I haven't figured out how to share the connection from my laptop with my xbox.... you wouldn't know anything about that would you? Once again, google failed to deliver, only tutorials for xbox 360. But I will definitely get that debug log going too.

Again, i really do appreciate you helping me out on this, a lot!
whufclee

Re: Jan'sEnglishXBMC4XBOX PLEASE NOT INSTALL - IS OUTDATED

Post by whufclee »

Ok this thread has gone completely off topic (sorry partially my fault there, I should have started a new thread for you). Check this video out which shows you how to do it.

FYI, xbmc4xbox and xbmc are two totally different entities and have been for many years now so (currently) you shouldn't expect xbmc4xbox to behave the same way your android box does. For starters xbox only has 64mb RAM so it's pretty amazing what it does on such limited resources! Please start a new thread if you want to continue with this conversation.

Mods: Would you like to start a new thread and move the last few posts as they have nothing to do with the OP. Cheers.
odellkevin

Post by odellkevin »

Sorry, I wasn't trying to start an argument. It's only because Jan SAID that he would make a new "Jan's" based on 3.3, that I even asked. If he, (or the team) have decided that they want everyone to use A4X, that's fine, I'll live :D .
One other question though, on the "Addon Status" page, it list several addons as working that I just cannot get to work. However I also noticed that the Addon Status page was last updated April 12, which was before 3.3. So my question is...is the Addon Status page still relevant, or should I just assume that if an addon is in A4X, that it is working?
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

The addon status page grabs live information from a tag in the actual addons themselves - quite ingenious Basically if something is reported as broken kozz/jan/buzz will mark a tag in the addon as broken and the website will pick up that information and display the status on the page.

This does of course rely on users to give feedback on whether something is working or not as none of us have any idea unless users let us know. If you have a problem with any particular addons please post a debug log in the relevant thread or if one doesn't exist start a new one. If a fix can be sorted out straight away then great but if not it can at least be marked as broken and that will help other users.
VanZan

Post by VanZan »

The dropbox download link in the first post really should be removed as well to be honest.
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

This Build is outdated but not bad for xbmcswift addon users its the only option to bring this addons running!!
This Build can access png on addon the 3.3 stable can it not !
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

why not work on getting this stuff working via the repository and installer ? if there is an issue with the repo installer that too could be improved. time better spent I think. If you are saying there is a bug with 3.3, where is my debug log / bug report on the bugtracker ? :)