Nightly Builds

Discussion of XBMC4XBOX development.
BuZz
Site Admin

Nightly Builds

Post by BuZz »

Newer development builds can be found here - http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/nightly/ - although named "Nightly" they may be built less often.
Xphazer

Re: Nightly Builds

Post by Xphazer »

Awesome! Thanks a lot, seriously Buzz.. You Rock !! :)
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

Thanks again for the nightliy

You make exellent changes!

and the nightly Build is on the right thread on this forum!

Regards Jan :)
EDgeofNJ

Post by EDgeofNJ »

thanks, buzz!

not sure if this is the right place to ask: is there a plan to get XBMC SVN Installer working with the nightly builds you are posting here?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

no plans - and personally, I want to move away from the idea that nightly builds are the ones to use. but please be patient while things are settling - the site has only been online a week, and I only got the "nightlies" building yesterday
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

BuZz wrote:no plans - and personally, I want to move away from the idea that nightly builds are the ones to use.
...for anything except testing.
I quite agree.
BuZz wrote:but please be patient while things are settling - the site has only been online a week, and I only got the "nightlies" building yesterday
Awesome work Buzz. Thanks.
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

;) awesome work!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

thanks! :)
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@Buzz, EDgeofNJ
I think nighly builds were never intended for everyones's use, and most of the people that do use them they know what they're doing. I can look at changing the XBMC SVN Installer to point to that URL and download the latest, and just as well maybe we could have two folders in there, one for nighly and one for stable - that way people get to choose which they want to go for. What do you guys think?
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

@DanDar3

This is nice please make it!

Regards Jan
xman

Post by xman »

I totally agree with Dan on this one. SVN for downloading and offering the latest Nightly for evaluation and testing and the last know stable. It is a system that works and is well understood however, how about if no problems are found with a "nightly" after a given amount of time, it's status is changed to last know "stable"?. If we remember the stables have had problems in the past and as most nightly offer better performance over the last stable, I see no problem with this idea. That last build I use that BuZz brought out with the fast loading JPegs is still my build of choice and I certainly wouldn't go back to the last stable in preference. That build is working better than many have for years but we are still referring to the last official stable as "The Stable" even though it has know issues that were rectified a build or 2 after. Some thought on this idea boys?.
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

Nce work on the sources with your changes have you it Push to 3.02 !
And i Think it's the Best xbox Xbmc (Source) all Time !
With Xbs and Domexecutiner have we two nice Skinner and i contuine my work with adaption fom Plugin , Addons and Scripts from Mainline for Xbmc4xbox!
What we not have is nice Installer what can access the Dependencies from Addon and scripts and give the option to install from zip!

Thanks for you work !!!

Regards
Jan
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

Dan Dar3 wrote:I can look at changing the XBMC SVN Installer to point to that URL and download the latest, and just as well maybe we could have two folders in there, one for nighly and one for stable - that way people get to choose which they want to go for. What do you guys think?
Make it so.
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Geeezzzz BuZz thats a hell of alot of mainline code thats come the Xbox's way lately! - everytime I login there's an update! you must have a bad coffee habbit! :D top stuff!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Geeba wrote:Geeezzzz BuZz thats a hell of alot of mainline code thats come the Xbox's way lately! - everytime I login there's an update! you must have a bad coffee habbit! :D top stuff!
wine maybe ;-)

lots of those patches were to do with deprecated ffmpeg stuff. the other bits is me trying to get our source closer to theirs. they reorganised a lot, and it makes patching tricky. im going to push out a 3.2 now and then upgrade some dvdplayer stuff which is already waiting for 3.3dev.
Dom DXecutioner

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

BuZz wrote:
Geeba wrote:Geeezzzz BuZz thats a hell of alot of mainline code thats come the Xbox's way lately! - everytime I login there's an update! you must have a bad coffee habbit! :D top stuff!
wine maybe ;-)

lots of those patches were to do with deprecated ffmpeg stuff. the other bits is me trying to get our source closer to theirs. they reorganised a lot, and it makes patching tricky. im going to push out a 3.2 now and then upgrade some dvdplayer stuff which is already waiting for 3.3dev.
You're the man BuZz! I wondering; however, I've noticed that after coming back from the movies library or playing a movie, a significant amount of memory does not come back (6MB to 8MB)... I wonder if anyone else has noticed this behaviour?
cbagy

Post by cbagy »

Seems to be the same behaviour for me too Dom, after playing a stream.

I also seem to suffer a constant HDD access on the home screen and visually i can see the RSS feed suffering a jerky motion as it scrolls across the screen, a symptom of the constant HDD access i suppose.

Experienced this a good few years back which was obviously solved at some point.

I don't use any memory hungry skin options (besides 720), no libraries etc.
Using a Confluence lite skin.
Only seems to be happening with the latest "Nightlies", all of them so far.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

cbagy wrote:Seems to be the same behaviour for me too Dom, after playing a stream.

I also seem to suffer a constant HDD access on the home screen and visually i can see the RSS feed suffering a jerky motion as it scrolls across the screen, a symptom of the constant HDD access i suppose.

Experienced this a good few years back which was obviously solved at some point.

I don't use any memory hungry skin options (besides 720), no libraries etc.
Using a Confluence lite skin.
Only seems to be happening with the latest "Nightlies", all of them so far.
debug log or it didnt happen! :)

also please dont use the nightlies unless you are confident with problems and providing debug logs etc - they are development releases and should not generally be considered "release ready"
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

BuZz wrote:
wine maybe ;-)

Aaaahhh me to! I keep the Australian economy going with the amount of their vino I consume! Lol :)
EDgeofNJ

Post by EDgeofNJ »

BuZz wrote:no plans - and personally, I want to move away from the idea that nightly builds are the ones to use. but please be patient while things are settling - the site has only been online a week, and I only got the "nightlies" building yesterday
xman wrote:I totally agree with Dan on this one. SVN for downloading and offering the latest Nightly for evaluation and testing and the last know stable. It is a system that works and is well understood however, how about if no problems are found with a "nightly" after a given amount of time, it's status is changed to last know "stable"?. If we remember the stables have had problems in the past and as most nightly offer better performance over the last stable, I see no problem with this idea. That last build I use that BuZz brought out with the fast loading JPegs is still my build of choice and I certainly wouldn't go back to the last stable in preference. That build is working better than many have for years but we are still referring to the last official stable as "The Stable" even though it has know issues that were rectified a build or 2 after. Some thought on this idea boys?.
Dan Dar3 wrote:@Buzz, EDgeofNJ
I think nighly builds were never intended for everyones's use, and most of the people that do use them they know what they're doing. I can look at changing the XBMC SVN Installer to point to that URL and download the latest, and just as well maybe we could have two folders in there, one for nighly and one for stable - that way people get to choose which they want to go for. What do you guys think?
@BuZz @Dan Dar3 @xman - i agree with your concern over the stability of the nightly builds. i guess i'm always naively hoping that the newest release would have improvements - even a minor performance bump - that could help my v1 xbox. in your opinion, which build version would you think is an ideal stable release for public consumption? thanks again for the continuing work on this front. does this forum have a rep system? :D