Build XBMC on Win 10?

Discussion of XBMC4XBOX development.
GoTeamScotch

Build XBMC on Win 10?

Post by GoTeamScotch »

I want to setup a dev environment for XBMC. I pulled a copy of the trunk on svn and looked around. I figured I'd open up the project solution file in visual studio just to see what would happen and it threw many many errors trying to load (as expected). I'm using this wiki page as a general reference for setting it up. I see at the top it says "Microsoft Windows XP or Windows 7 operating-system installed on an x86-based computer or virtual machine." Is this accurate info still? Is it possible or even worth trying to get it working on Windows 10 x64?

Also, any general pointers on getting setup would be appreciated. If there's other important wiki pages or threads on this topic I'd love to dive in.
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
Rocky5

Re: Build XBMC on Win 10?

Post by Rocky5 »

GoTeamScotch wrote:I want to setup a dev environment for XBMC. I pulled a copy of the trunk on svn and looked around. I figured I'd open up the project solution file in visual studio just to see what would happen and it threw many many errors trying to load (as expected). I'm using this wiki page as a general reference for setting it up. I see at the top it says "Microsoft Windows XP or Windows 7 operating-system installed on an x86-based computer or virtual machine." Is this accurate info still? Is it possible or even worth trying to get it working on Windows 10 x64?

Also, any general pointers on getting setup would be appreciated. If there's other important wiki pages or threads on this topic I'd love to dive in.
Install Visual studio .net professional 2003, the XDK, last one work fine (5933) & then run the build.bat that comes with the SVN source with admin writes. That's it.
(Running it with admin writes just stops Windows asking for permission to run XBMCTex at the end)

Ok on further reading, are you trying to open the project to edit it or to build it? Either or the XDK is required and VB2003 (C++ Version)
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

Thanks rocky I'll do that. Just have to track down visual studio 2003 now.
Rocky5 wrote:Ok on further reading, are you trying to open the project to edit it or to build it? Either or the XDK is required and VB2003 (C++ Version)
Both really. I don't know much C++ but I can read along well enough.

Btw, I noticed there's basic support for EEPROM writing. Can python scripts make use of that?
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

GoTeamScotch wrote:Thanks rocky I'll do that. Just have to track down visual studio 2003 now.
Rocky5 wrote:Ok on further reading, are you trying to open the project to edit it or to build it? Either or the XDK is required and VB2003 (C++ Version)
Both really. I don't know much C++ but I can read along well enough.

Btw, I noticed there's basic support for EEPROM writing. Can python scripts make use of that?
Don't think so, you can dump the bios & seldom with a built in command added to a skin or via a site command.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5