guisettings.xml causing problems around 100kb or bigger

Discussion of XBMC4XBOX development.
byron

guisettings.xml causing problems around 100kb or bigger

Post by byron »

Just out of curiosity, did this ticket cross over for us (does it even matter)?

http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/10781#comment:4

I have a ton of <settings> with r-c-m (like almost 1000 which is obviously stupid to some extent and should probably be simplified), but when guisettings.xml hits 100 kb or so it starts causing strange issues with the program. Dialogs won't open (Search/Select/FileManager off the top of my head), textures go missing, scripts won't start, etc...I know this particular ticket is referring to GUIDialogAddonSettings.cpp, but don't they coincide as far as skins go for us?
Dan Dar3

Re: guisettings.xml causing problems around 100kb or bigger

Post by Dan Dar3 »

I was just looking at the comment I made on the Kodi ticket and I believe it refers to this change and ticket on our side, on which one of the changes is:
"swaps CONTROL_START_SETTING and CONTROL_START_SECTION id's. i'm at about the limit of 100 id's per category this allows more"
I can't seem to find the actual code change on Kodi's side (r35536).

I don't know if that is directly issue to what you observed, although it's possible to be coded in a similar way in another part of the system that works with guisettings.xml. Usually depending on XML parsers they can take up a few times more memory than actual file size, maybe try running the same XBMC4Xbox instance with debug on with a large guisettings.xml and then with a smaller one, see if there is much difference in RAM free between them. Also, any errors in xbmc.log when it goes mad?
byron

Post by byron »

Sorry for the LATE response ;) I have tried to reproduce the problem and obviously since I'm trying now everything is working fine. I'll post a debug log once I've got it cornered...thanks btw for your reply, and I think your logic for running out of memory is more than likely accurate.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

No worries, Byron, that's what usually happens with some :) keep an eye on it, if it's still there it will come up again.