Request: Improving priority for music thumbnails

Discussion of XBMC4XBOX development.
Koitsu

Request: Improving priority for music thumbnails

Post by Koitsu »

I'm just requesting that XBMC checks for tbn files and uses those before using the folder.jpg...unless there's a way to do that already? (I wanted to put the request first in case reading the rest wasn't necessary)

If I have a folder of music from a particular album, we know using folder.jpg gives that folder of music and all the songs inside the thumbnail of that image.

And if we add a different thumbnail for a particular song,

thissong.tbn to go with thissong.mp3

that song will use the different thumbnail image

The problem is that XBMC doesn't check for a song's tbn file before it goes to the "global" folder.jpg, defeating the entire purpose of making the tbn files in the first place, and there's no "refresh thumbnails" option like in the Pictures section.
xman

Re: Request: Improving priority for music thumbnails

Post by xman »

Hmmm interesting. It used to do exactly as you say. Have you tried other skins to see if it isn't just the skin you are using?. I know PMIIIhd does exactly as you stated and once scanned or at least the machine has booted up once, the song name .tbns can then be deleted from the songs list because they are all saved. Not real necessary but it just drives me crazy when your in filemanger and scrolling results in stop starting as it tries to read the .mp3 and then .tbn for every song in the album. :twisted:
Koitsu

Post by Koitsu »

Fair question. This is Confluence Lite:

And this is Project Mayhem IIIhd:

I made sure to erase all the old music thumbnails before trying these. I've gotten good at that. This is using Beta 3, but it's been this way for a very long time.
Koitsu

Post by Koitsu »

I just wanted to bump this before betas were finished on the tiny chance that it was simply forgotten. If nothing's gonna be done about it, that's fine.
Koitsu

Post by Koitsu »

I at least found a partial fix for this. Using MP3tag I was able to Add Cover images to my music individually.

So that was great. But the problem with getting XBMC to display them all lay in the coding. Apparently, once XBMC has a thumbnail of a song within a folder, it will give all tracks composed by the same Artist, Album Artist, and possibly Composer in that folder the same thumnail. I think Kodi has the same problem. If you don't want that, you'll have to change the Artist (and the other two, if listed) names to something distinguishable. I just tack on the Disc and Track numbers to their names, so THE_ARTIST would just become something like THE_ARTIST 103 or THE_ARTIST 1-03. Pretty much anything should work as long as it's different from any other song in the folder.

Not a perfect solution, but it's good enough for me. Just takes a shitload bit of tagging. Maybe this'll help someone.
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

I know this a very old thread but for various reasons I still use an older version of XBMC as well as the most recent v3.5.3 and I've just come across this same problem with the older version. I hadn't bothered with music album art etc until recently but I thought I'd sync the two versions. I found with v3.5.3 the .TBN applied is always the one named the same as the MP3 song title when they are located in the same folder.

However the older XBMC didn't behave in the same way. In one case I have two tracks from the same album, both released as singles and therefore having their own separate cover art available, which refused to use different .TBNs. Even if you click on Song Info and browse for the other .TBN when you swap one it is always applied to the other track too.

I even tried replacing the whole thumbnails folder with the one from v3.5.3. Same issue.

Eventually I realised what was happening: the correct track name was being shown in each case but because one of them was also the album name title track the .TBN for that was being given priority and applied instead of the other track's actual name .TBN.

I'm glad I found this thread because it confirms the solution I thought would work and it can probably be fixed by stripping the album name info from the second track's tags.