zRam

Discussion of XBMC4XBOX development.
Iceus

zRam

Post by Iceus »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zram

zRAM is a module of the Linux kernel at uses a compressed block device in RAM zRAM typically averages a 3:1 ratio - that is 3Gb of virtual RAM into only 1Gb of physical memory.

Could you add zram to xbmc4xbox? Theres no slow down the ram runs about the same speed as real ram I've done some tests on afew pcs but it does take a 3-4% hit on the cpu when it in use on my pentium 3 pc. :)
professor_jonny

Re: zRam

Post by professor_jonny »

I don't really see the benifit of this as cpu speed is our biggest bottle neck not memory size (with respect to hi def video that is).

The memory basically is our frame buffer for video and storing it compressed would not work with out hardware decoding in the video processor of the compressed ram, it would only benifit a very small amount as it could only operate on the ram that is not part of the frame buffer for the video or the shadowed bios image.

I did not read about but i guess it has a dictionary type on the fly compression/ decompression and the small amount of ram we have would probally be too small to see benifit because of the dictionary requirements, it would also need to be compiled into the kernel and we dont have the source for the bios/kernel.

it's benifit comes into play over not using a slow disk based swap method which we are not doing any way.
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Could help with heavier skins and large libraries which is where I tend to run out of memory thou.... :?
Iceus

Post by Iceus »

Good points sad to hear about not having the source for the bios/kernel cuz zram can be turn off and on super fast so it could of benifit heavier skins like Geeba said.
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

That wont be of any help at all as zRAM is for Linux and XBMC4Xbox is not Linux. End of story. :/

"The way that we work is, you can talk all day about a great idea or a solution for a problem or something that you think is an interesting feature for Linux to have.
But you got to show us, show me something concrete, show me a piece of code that does that. Something that is tangible that I can test my self so I can try it out and I can think of what it is instead of talking abstractly about a topic all day"
-David S. Miller