Any MythTV Users ?

Discussion of XBMC4XBOX development.
BuZz
Site Admin

Any MythTV Users ?

Post by BuZz »

I have pulled in a bunch of mythtv changes. Don't run it myself though, so if anyone uses mythtv, would be good to know if things are better with this release than the last (changes as of r31204 - which will be available http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/nightly/ shortly)
whufclee

Re: Any MythTV Users ?

Post by whufclee »

I do need to setup either myth or tvheadend so if anyone can tell me what cheap dvt usb/pci card will work on linux I'll be happy to try it out. I've tried 2x DVT USB dongles and a PCI card and none of them have been compatible :-(
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I would search on ubuntuforums or something and see what other people are using. Sorry, don't know myself.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

BuZz wrote:I have pulled in a bunch of mythtv changes. Don't run it myself though, so if anyone uses mythtv, would be good to know if things are better with this release than the last (changes as of r31204 - which will be available http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/nightly/ shortly)
I use Myth (although not a recent release - v0.22 I think). Anything in particular you think I should check?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

spicemuseum wrote:
BuZz wrote:I have pulled in a bunch of mythtv changes. Don't run it myself though, so if anyone uses mythtv, would be good to know if things are better with this release than the last (changes as of r31204 - which will be available http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/nightly/ shortly)
I use Myth (although not a recent release - v0.22 I think). Anything in particular you think I should check?
just overall functionality - if there are improvements in any aprts that didnt work that well - I seem to remember not everything worked before - although that might have been on newer mythtv releases.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

whufclee wrote:I do need to setup either myth or tvheadend so if anyone can tell me what cheap dvt usb/pci card will work on linux I'll be happy to try it out. I've tried 2x DVT USB dongles and a PCI card and none of them have been compatible :-(
I use Hauppauge PCI cards, both the (now long in the tooth) Nova-T and DVB-S2 work well.
Best info on Kernel support is here: http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hardw ... nformation

(When I first got the DVB-S2 card, (before S2 transmissions first started from the Astra constellation, so around 2008 I guess) I had a bit of shenaniganising to compile support into the Linux kernel, but it got incorporated by default from 2.6.28 (I think), and I've had no problems since. If you want to discuss further feel free to PM me or start a separate thread in "Off Topic".)
Last edited by spicemuseum on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

I use Hauppauge PCI cards, both the (now long in the tooth) Nova-T and DVB-S2 work well.

(When I first got the DVB-S2 card, (before S2 transmissions first started from the Astra constellation, so around 2008 I guess) I had a bit of shenaniganising to compile support into the Linux kernel, but it got incorporated by default from 2.6.28 (I think), and I've had no problems since. If you want to discuss further feel free to PM me or start a separate thread in "Off Topic".)
Thanks mate, I shall look into those options now and see what I can get them for. If/when I get stuck I'll be sure to give you a PM ;)
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

whufclee wrote:

Thanks mate, I shall look into those options now and see what I can get them for. If/when I get stuck I'll be sure to give you a PM ;)
I've got a Nova-T (with all original packaging) you can have for a tenner, or whatever you think is fair. ...if you're interested.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

PM Sent, cheers mate.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

hmm it is unable even to list the directory right, so not even as far as playback. what version of mythtv ? sure credentials etc are ok? can you test with xbmc for linux/windows also ?
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

BuZz wrote:hmm it is unable even to list the directory right, so not even as far as playback. what version of mythtv ? sure credentials etc are ok? can you test with xbmc for linux/windows also ?
Works with r31096. Would you like me to post a log from that for comparison?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

spicemuseum wrote:
BuZz wrote:hmm it is unable even to list the directory right, so not even as far as playback. what version of mythtv ? sure credentials etc are ok? can you test with xbmc for linux/windows also ?
yes please thanks. still would be interested in a test on linux/windows also - using a nightly build or so.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

BuZz wrote:
spicemuseum wrote:
yes please thanks. still would be interested in a test on linux/windows also - using a nightly build or so.
BTW...

Code: Select all

spiceworld$ apt-cache policy mythtv
mythtv:
  Installed: 0.23.1+fixes26437-0ubuntu1
  Candidate: 0.23.1+fixes26437-0ubuntu1
  Version table:
 *** 0.23.1+fixes26437-0ubuntu1 0
r310_8_6, my apologies.
http://pastebin.com/yMm1sadv

And linux:
http://pastebin.com/huf1kfdf
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

Got what you need from me, Buzz? Need anything else?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

please can you turn debugging on on linux. i may have to reinstall mythtv here to debug. i guess my last changes broke the library somehow. hmm
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

BuZz wrote:please can you turn debugging on on linux.
I did - looks like it doesn't retain that setting over a re-start of XBMC. Wierd. Anyway, here's an un-re-started one (complete with me switching debugging on L0L)...
http://pastebin.com/FrKwCRQ3
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

BuZz wrote:i may have to reinstall mythtv here to debug. i guess my last changes broke the library somehow. hmm
Shall I raise a bug to track this?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Was just looking on the bugtracker, as I am fixing up mythtv currently. Did you open a ticket in the end ?
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

BuZz wrote:Was just looking on the bugtracker, as I am fixing up mythtv currently. Did you open a ticket in the end ?
http://redmine.exotica.org.uk/issues/235

EDIT:
...and confirmed working with r31739.

Nice one :-)