[REQUEST] Newer version of OpenSSL

Discussion of XBMC4XBOX development.
MasterChief2

[REQUEST] Newer version of OpenSSL

Post by MasterChief2 »

Hello. I'm in the process of making YouTube plugin using Invidious API, but I have problem with OpenSSL and TLS support. When I send HTTP requests with requests I get error:

Code: Select all

20:05:52 M: 90083328  NOTICE: urllib2
20:05:52 M: 90083328  NOTICE: .
20:05:52 M: 90083328  NOTICE: URLError
20:05:52 M: 90083328  NOTICE: :
20:05:52 M: 90083328  NOTICE: <urlopen error [SSL: TLSV1_ALERT_PROTOCOL_VERSION] tlsv1 alert protocol version (_ssl.c:592)>
If it's not possible to port newer versions of OpenSSL, is there some workaround for this?
professor_jonny

Re: [REQUEST] Newer version of OpenSSL

Post by professor_jonny »

can you just import a new _ssl.pyd in to the dll folder ?
MasterChief2

Post by MasterChief2 »

I've tried, but didn't work. We need new_ssl.pyd compiled for Python 2 on Xbox. And if I read correctly, these .pyd files are compiled while compailing Python 2. So you can't just replace them and expect to work. Better solution would be to port Python 3 to XBMC, but that won't happen because development of XBMC4Xbox is long dead. We will see what will brentdc-nz do on his port of XBMC to Xbox 360. If he succesfully port Pyton 3 for that XBMC maybe there is a chance to do the same for XBMC4Xbox.
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

MasterChief2 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:01 pm I've tried, but didn't work. We need new_ssl.pyd compiled for Python 2 on Xbox. And if I read correctly, these .pyd files are compiled while compailing Python 2. So you can't just replace them and expect to work. Better solution would be to port Python 3 to XBMC, but that won't happen because development of XBMC4Xbox is long dead. We will see what will brentdc-nz do on his port of XBMC to Xbox 360. If he succesfully port Pyton 3 for that XBMC maybe there is a chance to do the same for XBMC4Xbox.
That would be nice. I really hope XBMC makes a comeback someday. It's some of the most complex and powerful software for the og Xbox. I experimented with backporting Jellyfin to XBMC but the python replacements I would have had to make were just too daunting of a task for me. Python 3 would be luxurious.
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
MasterChief2

Post by MasterChief2 »

I will take a closer look when I get time to see if I can port some GUILIB stuffs from Kodi v17 which will make easier to backport Estuary skin. But I don't have any ETA when that will happen. It would be really awesome if BuZZ could give some info on how Python 2 is compiled on/for Xbox. Maybe it's possible to just compile same python 2, but with newer version of openssl so we can use direct calls to APIs which require TLS1.2.
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

GoTeamScotch wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:26 pm
MasterChief2 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:01 pm I've tried, but didn't work. We need new_ssl.pyd compiled for Python 2 on Xbox. And if I read correctly, these .pyd files are compiled while compailing Python 2. So you can't just replace them and expect to work. Better solution would be to port Python 3 to XBMC, but that won't happen because development of XBMC4Xbox is long dead. We will see what will brentdc-nz do on his port of XBMC to Xbox 360. If he succesfully port Pyton 3 for that XBMC maybe there is a chance to do the same for XBMC4Xbox.
That would be nice. I really hope XBMC makes a comeback someday. It's some of the most complex and powerful software for the og Xbox. I experimented with backporting Jellyfin to XBMC but the python replacements I would have had to make were just too daunting of a task for me. Python 3 would be luxurious.
Would be good - but not sure it will, even with the ver1.6 / 128Mb upgrades now working, digital HDMI output and CPU upgrades done by more and more people the xbox just doesn't have the grunt for todays HiDef formats... as an emulation platform it still takes some beating.

I was pretty amazed when 16TB HDD support appeared vie Cerbios so it just goes to show you what can be done.

Maybe Buzz is working on a build... you never know :D