{REALEASE} Icefilms4Xbox - Standalone - Works on Stable xbmc

Requests, suggestions, support, and everything else python / plugin related.
Smiff

Re: {REALEASE} Icefilms4Xbox - Standalone - Works on Stable

Post by Smiff »

that's what i'm using yes. it's not a network problem, the xbmc video player (dvdplayer) is running out of mem, which happens with all addons but particularly quickly/regularly with this addon for some reason that i don't understand.
partly i think how the icefilms content is encoded, and partly what the addon is doing in python?

i run xtv-saf btw and can't think how to lighten it any further after dropping the res - ?

i've actually just bought an Android TV box i'm going to experiment with although i'm expecting that to have it's fair share of problems too..
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

What android box did you go for, XBMC on android still isn't a great experience at the moment but if you can stick linux on there it runs sweet.
Smiff

Post by Smiff »

sorry going OT but its a Sumvision Cyclone (nano extra turbo minus minus deluxe pimp whatever edition) and supposed to run linux, but probably not newest Pivos builds?

i really love the xbox and will continue using it for forseeable future (until reasonably priced and overall better replacement exists) but i'm about reaching my patience limit when i just want to sit down and stream some stuff! (just realized how long i was taking to get through menus and restarts). doesn't look like the memory issues are going to be solvable and it's affecting more and more plugins now :/ i'm sure technically most could be solvable but doesn't seem anyone has the time and skill to really want to do it. the xbox still works fine for what it always did but plugins are just getting more complex and more desirable..

now most probably the Android/linux box will be a disaster and be sold on pretty soon but i'm only out £70 so it's worth a shot.

edit: this seems to be same as what i bought, slightly cheaper and with uk supplier! oops
http://www.futeko.com/products/MP00041.php
but OOS until Apr24th ?

i'd be willing to bet Android boxes/sticks are the future, in maybe 2-3 years they'll be good? HTPCs are too complex and expensive, proprietary solutions are too restricted, xbox is too low spec for modern video (even if these issues here are worked out).
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

Smiff wrote:sorry going OT but its a Sumvision Cyclone (nano extra turbo minus minus deluxe pimp whatever edition) and supposed to run linux, but probably not newest Pivos builds?

i really love the xbox and will continue using it for forseeable future (until reasonably priced and overall better replacement exists) but i'm about reaching my patience limit when i just want to sit down and stream some stuff! (just realized how long i was taking to get through menus and restarts). doesn't look like the memory issues are going to be solvable and it's affecting more and more plugins now :/ i'm sure technically most could be solvable but doesn't seem anyone has the time and skill to really want to do it. the xbox still works fine for what it always did but plugins are just getting more complex and more desirable..

now most probably the Android/linux box will be a disaster and be sold on pretty soon but i'm only out £70 so it's worth a shot.

i'd be willing to bet Android boxes/sticks are the future, in maybe 2-3 years they'll be good? HTPCs are too complex and expensive, proprietary solutions are too restricted, xbox is too low spec for modern video.

Yes the addons from mainline xbmc since complexer the only solution to solve this writing own addon what i do!

Have a look here http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=17
Smiff

Post by Smiff »

thanks skatulskijean i will have a look. what the xbox needs is more people like you!
Kozz

Post by Kozz »

@Smiff

This looks like its a clone of the Pivos XIOS, I have one of these with their icecream sandwich build on it, It actually worked pretty good you wont have memory issues for plugins, I still need to try the linux xbmc buld for it, Its very easy to upgrade/change the image you just put the new one onto a usb stick then boot into its recovery menu and choose update from usb. If for some reason it does not work/boot after attempting the update you can always boot back into the recovery menu to flash a different or original image.

As for mainline xbmc running on android, I have had nothing but great experiences on my devices, (LG P930 and Samsung Galaxy SIII), Its very silky smooth and besides the default confluence skin there is an offical skin you can install directly from the add-ons menu called Touched that makes it even easier for the smaller touch screens, but add the HDMI cable for these phones and it turns into a full 1080p xbmc on your tv that runs just as well as any htpc. 1000 times better than a raspberry Pi running openelec. ;)

Just look how well this HD video plays on my phone from Icefilms

just keep in mind what kind of cpu and video chip is in the android device, You want a video chip that supports the "neon" gpu instruction set, to have hardware video acceleration in the xbmc on android app :)

P.S.

I will test my Pivos this weekend with the latest Android build and the latest Linux builds, then compare and make some videos of them and post a new topic somewhere, also I can point to the instructions resources for updating these boxes if you like
Smiff

Post by Smiff »

thanks i only spent an hour or so choosing what to get, so good if it works out..

seems to be some confusion around what is a clone of what. are they all geniatech and you are paying for support and dev with Pivos?

i've found the uk seller of the xios here, is official?
http://www.xiosds.co.uk/
around £130 delivered is nearly the twice the price of the Sumvision or Gica boxes.

imho they need to hit the £99 delivered price point for this to be an xbox replacement (bearing in mind many of us have one xbox per tv!), regardless of the moral question of supporting the xbmc devs etc.
i read these are the target devices for xbmc android, which sounds great, but not sure what it really means.. what happened to the boxee box? so many questions, so many ways of doing this, none of them that great atm imho.

at that price people are going to buy the Android sticks (dual, now quad core, but lacking connections) to run Android XBMC. around £60.

then you've got http://jynxbox.me/Product.aspx and others.
hopefully these become some kind of cross-compatible standard, to give us the community needed to support it.
one of the great things about the xbox is that it's a (near enough) fixed hardware standard. just that it's 10+ years old.. otoh we can't have upgraded models every year with the community constantly moving onto the next thing, each one not quite working well! hopefully dual core 1ghz arm with hardware accell and 1gb ram is enough??
here's some discussion of boxee failure:
http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=64164&page=62

i take it with linux they run standard xbmc mainline addons ok?
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Sorry for taking this totally off topic that was my fault for asking what unit smiff had got!

Those units you've linked to have had nothing but good reviews on xbmchub and xbmcandroid (once linux is installed), the one you linked to was a single core, I don't know so much about that one but the dual core is supposed to be great. I'm still waiting on this one to arrive - keeps getting delayed but I'm very hopeful of this. All the specs look exactly what I've been after, even comes with a basic remote :D

If you've got an android system that's capable of running linux then you'll be very happy, if it's not up to the job with andoid xbmc you'll find it similar to an HTPC experience once linux is installed and then everything is mainbranch. Did you not fancy a bit of the raspberry pi action? Since using a USB3.0 stick I've been so impressed, can't fault it.
Smiff

Post by Smiff »

nope my fault for mentioning it out of frustration really.. perhaps someone can split this topic off because it's probably relevant to quite a few people here wondering what to do post-xbox1.

i'm not sure what difference between the dual core sticks and the Geniatech Dual core XIOS/Cyclone boxes really is.. just the connections? i was looking at sticks first but saw the standalone box with remote (which i don't care about, but it means it'll work with IR Harmony) and option of linux or android for £20 more.

my feeling is the xbox1 has 2-3 years left (?) before the majority of plugins no longer work well and/or most people want HD and/or most content is in h264 and/or it's nearly as cheap in total (esp. if you include power bill!) to run an android stick as it is to find and mod an xbox1.
Kozz

Post by Kozz »

So.... Back On Topic Now

I had a chance to run icefilms on my xbox and seen the exact problem smiff was having, try to play a source and see the mem drop very low (100) free mem remaining
I have gone into Plugin-setings and under Menus turned off Flatten source type for single type sources, now when you choose a movie with the red HD in the name you should see the option of DVDRip or HD720p, choose the DVDRip option since the HD720p wont play on the xbox

UPDATE:

I've updated Icefilms to v 1.1.28 , and I do believe there is now a new video source "EpicShare"

Changelog:

Code: Select all

[B]v1.1.28 (Tuesday, 09 April 2013):[/B]

- Added ability to enable/disable Next Aired in addon settings
  - Updated VidHog resolver
  - Added EpicShare resolver
Available now from the Addons4Xbox installer
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Great work kozz, the missus is going in for an operation on her foot today so that means she'll be spending a fair bit of time laying in bed over the next week. As I've now run out of other devices here (sold them to mates and haven't yet got any replacements) I'll be hooking the xbox back up in the bedroom and she can test your new release. Great timiing mate :)
Smiff

Post by Smiff »

thanks Kozz, so Flatten sources option is eating RAM? didn't try that, will do this evening.
Kozz

Post by Kozz »

Flattening sources is not eating the ram, its the HD videos its attempting to play that does, Flatten the sources to be able to choose the DVD Quality sources (if available)
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

@KozZ

I think this thread have not the right name you have not released Icefilms you have it only adapted and this was not a big step why :
i have it adapted and make the base working that works on xbmc4xbox first!

Released have you your Vidbull addon what is your Code!

regards Jan and happy weekend!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I don't think it's worth getting into a petty disagreement about who did what. This is a group project and the source is open. And anyway, adapting it is nothing compared to the original work done by multiple people for urlresolver and the core code.
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

@BuzZ

Es ist kein kleinlicher Streit !
Ich sage nur wie es ist!
Natürlich ist die ganze Sache hier erst möglich durch den vorhandenen Core-Code!
Genauso wie das adaptieren von addons für xbmc4xbox erst für mich interessant war seit dem du den standart DVDPlayer (code) zu xbmc4xbox adaptiert bzw. implementiert hast !
Schlicht weil damit die Formate nicht mehr so beschränkt waren bzw. das streaming in aktuellen Formaten erst möglich war(dank ffmpeg)!
Ich bin hier dankbar für jeden der etwas greifbares für xbmc4xbox tut!
Leider haben wir hier eine kleine Sprachbarriere so das wahrscheinlich nicht alles so rüberkommt wie ich meine!

Egal angenehmes Wochenende Dir bzw. Euch!

Ps:

Könntest Du mal ein paar Streams für mich auf Deiner 128MB RAM XBOX testen!
Hintergrund:
Bei den meisten 720p streams die nicht laufen ist bei mir das Problem der Cache!
Theoretisch müsste man den doch jetzt mit den letzten nightly Versionen um mehr als 50 MB erhöhen können!
Hast Du damit mal experimentiert und wenn ja , bringt es etwas!

Gruss Jan!
Kozz

Post by Kozz »

@Jan

I thought the OP was clear enough when I originally posted this topic on Dec 4, 2012, I don't see where I claim it as my own
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 6371#p6371

Regardless, people should use the updated version in the Addons4Xbox Installer repo, its just been updated to Eldorado's latest 1.1.28 (same as mainline xbmc)