Python Update

Requests, suggestions, support, and everything else python / plugin related.
byron

Python Update

Post by byron »

xbmc4xbox and xbmc main since different and most plugins will not works ca 90%(why - all the addons and script since python code and the python Versions since different on syntax and functions - we have python 2.4.6 and main xbmc have 2.6 in the next time main xbmc have (Frodo) python 2.7)
That sounds pretty much like we need to kick it in gear and update this thing, and from what I've seen jan posting it seems as though we update it or we're done. So having said that, I thought this would be a good place to show recources or even just to get it started. I would like to help, and I know there has to be others out there that know a little about PYTHON so here's what I want to know:

-Can someone post a link (or give some insight) on why this is so difficult for xbmc4xbox?

-Where do I look to start digging in?

-Is there a tutorial that would help me learn this faster than just jumping in head first?

-Are there any tools that can help speed up the process?

That's pretty much all I can think of right now, but anyone feel free to jump in on this and start the ball rolling because it looks like before too long we're gonna get left behind in the dust if we don't update (Python 3.0 has already been released) ---
skatulskijean

Re: Python Update

Post by skatulskijean »

Why is so different:

Xbmc main switch with the Eden Version to a extern python access.
The last with a intern .dll was Dharma what have the same python version we xbmc4xbox!
It give no example for a integrated python Version greater as 2.4 for xbmc!
But on the old Time was a patch to integrate python 2.6 on xbmc for Linux (you can google it).
But i can not found any xbmc source with a intern python.dll greater as 2.4!
My Hope was Boxee a xbmc Fork what this time di , i hate hope he have integrated a greater python as 2.4
but she have it not!
Problem is simple we have not a os any other xbmc installtion have a os example linux or windows as base for xbmc!
Yes the xbox os is build around a win NT Kernel but that is not a full os!
For have compatible addons from main xbmc where extensiell to switch to a greater Version as what we have!
I think not that we have any python Developer what make scripts for xbmc4xbox!
And when we it have what have we for addons 2 or 3?
Next Problem we have not the ability to acces addons on the source - we have a layer with the scriptmodule.xbmc.addon
what is compatible with the addon solution for dhama not more!
xbmc4xbox on the source is compatible with xbmc camelot (from 2009)with many ehancements base on the next main xbmc releases(Dhama,or Eden)
The greatest xbmcx4xbox Problem is that we have only one Developer on the Source
and a Community what not can help self!
Sorry Domexecutiner you make on last time changes on Source self and that is exellent!
Nobody can say make it so and its works !
It is a learning process to change python code or change the xbmc sources self!
i HOPE IT GIVE A SOLUTION FOR THE TWO BIG XBMC4XBOX PROBLEMS A NEWER PYTHON AND FULL ACCES TO 128MB RAM!
byron

Post by byron »

Ok so let me get this straight:

-we have no OS, and we're two updates behind based on the fact that BuZz was kind enough to keep us going (with the help of others previously)

-we're using libraries and mainline isn't

-we're running this on the "illusion" of a patch because we're so far behind

-we have one person besides BuZz that's actually changed something in the source (dom)

I was just wondering, is this what we're using http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_Linux? I mean what we have is just not "quite" right...yea it would take a ton of readusting, but is this running off of linux or not? Hardware is soooo limited, I can't believe this thing can do what it does with a softmod hack! Could we run a full installation of linux on the xbox? Could we then readjust to a linux version of xbmc (with 128 RAM)? Why can't LINUX be an option on the main xbox menu? Delusion of grandeur :D

Anyway, is there a method for us to run an OS on xbox so that we can properly run a current version of Python? I doubt that without one it would be possible to stay current even if we could find a dll that was a suitable template---
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

other os:
Linux: you can run Linux on the xbox with a 2.4 Kernel or a experimental i think 2.6 Kernel
Dependencies- standalone Chromwell (Bios) -Xbox!When standalone no other Software works (.xbe ,i think)
128mb ram for a Linux with xbmc is to little Ram for working!
Most of the adapted Emulator can you run with 128mb Ram on the xbox!
Example Coinops works with 128mb Ram!
And i think the DragonDash to but we have not the Sources for example DragonDash!
Dragon Dash is xbmc build around the 2007 xbmc with integrated Linksbooks without python , is have not the ability to access plugins or addons (only scripts will works) with Gui Changes , the ability to play xmv and i think 128mb Ram support!
I hope that when a newer Coinops is released , the Developer put the sources to the Community!
But i can only say i hope!

It give a old win ce solution for the xbox but it works not complete and i can not say can it acces 128mb Ram!

most of the os can not works with the little 128mb ram!
I think the only Solution is a older Haiku build (when chromwell it can access -it must have changes on the chromwell source) but no xbmc for haiku!

Linux Problem for newer Kernel since the Driver for Xbox and the FatX Filesystem from the xbox and the little RAM!

Regards jan
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

I asked you BuzZ!

What you think can we have a up to date python for xbmc4xbox yes or no?
Have we the source for 128 MB build from BritneysPears?
Wy give it no way to works side on side (when he release the sources)?
It is not a bad situation that we have one developer on the sources !

regards jan
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

skatulskijean wrote:I asked you BuzZ!

What you think can we have a up to date python for xbmc4xbox yes or no?
Have we the source for 128 MB build from BritneysPears?
Wy give it no way to works side on side (when he release the sources)?
It is not a bad situation that we have one developer on the sources !

regards jan
im not currently working on the python update. I cant give a definitive yes or no.

BP did release a source previously but it wasn't complete afaik, and I don't know if it was for the latest "Dragon". He generally doesn't release sources with each release. I'm not currently aware of what is needed to do the magical "128mb support" as I have seen no source code that adds this support although I have a few ideas regarding memory allocation. Feel free to ask him though. I'm sure he will be supportive and helpful :)
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

Thanks for your answher !

Regards Jan
wortax

Post by wortax »

We already know that will be a new version of Python for xbox4xbox?