Garbage Collection

Requests, suggestions, support, and everything else python / plugin related.
byron

Garbage Collection

Post by byron »

I was just wondering if this could be implemented into xbmc4xbox http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_co ... science%29. I'm not sure if it would serve better as a stand-alone script (kinda like a task manager?), or if it could be written into the source code. I was also reading something about it on XBMC forum so maybe it already exists and this post is pointless :) It would be nice to have a utility like this since we have such little RAM to work with in the first place. I'd give it a go, but PY is over my head at the moment, and just thought maybe someone here might take a stab at it
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Garbage Collection

Post by BuZz »

byron wrote:I was just wondering if this could be implemented into xbmc4xbox http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_co ... science%29. I'm not sure if it would serve better as a stand-alone script (kinda like a task manager?), or if it could be written into the source code. I was also reading something about it on XBMC forum so maybe it already exists and this post is pointless :) It would be nice to have a utility like this since we have such little RAM to work with in the first place. I'd give it a go, but PY is over my head at the moment, and just thought maybe someone here might take a stab at it
is there some specific thing you are after? what do you need "cleaned up" to free memory. the texturemanager already loads and free textures etc on demand. many parts of xbmc are unloaded when not in use. not sure what sort of magic you think could be done on top :)
byron

Re: Garbage Collection

Post by byron »

Right...so I've noticed that when in library mode, watching a show or movie (local/stream), or listening to music...memory never gets back to where it was, even after a skin reload. If I remember correctly, after RELOAD all includes are dropped out of memory and all should be as it was at start up as far as RAM usage is concerned right? At start up, my skin has 37mb free memory, and after media is accessed sometimes it never gets back up over 30mb (even after reloading it). So where does it go??? That's why i was wondering about collection, I mean losing 7mb of RAM is a lot. I've gone through and rid the skin of "most" includes, so I guess I'm just confused as to why it goes away...exploring options to get it back