Compiling Python for xbmc4xbox

Requests, suggestions, support, and everything else python / plugin related.
tim619

Compiling Python for xbmc4xbox

Post by tim619 »

I'm just interested (since there is no tutorial on the net) what is needed or should be changed to compile the source from python.org
On unix I would just type configure and make and I'm done, are there similar building commands for xbox?
fxmech

Re: Compiling Python for xbmc4xbox

Post by fxmech »

Python has to be customized to run on the Xbox.

As far as compiling using the XDK, I have no experience. If you intend on porting a different version of python, you will need to know C and also [should] have the XDK.

Considering licensing issues involved with compiling using the XDK, it should not be discussed here. Try searching around EmuXtras, there are people actively developing there that probably have some helpful information. I know you'll need Win XP (or a VM) and Visual Studio 2003, but other ways to compile are possible and described.

As for python on the Xbox is concerned, BuZz is the best person on the planet to talk to. Don't blame him if he's not interested in talking about it, because he just finished porting a new python in the latest version of XBMC4Xbox 3.5.

At one point not long ago, it was thought an updated python would not be ported ever again.

What sparks your interest? What is your goal?
tim619

Post by tim619 »

Python has to be customized to run on the Xbox.
Do you know more about it or can tell more accurate things like datatypes etc?
At one point not long ago, it was thought an updated python would not be ported ever again.
I'm sure you're right. Also because of this I want to know if anyone has some infos on python for xbox.
Of course I know that it'd need xdk, and C. (Btw. it's totally legal to talk about xdk)
My main goal ist to understand the process of porting this (as I implied windows and unix don't need porting), so I could adapt the knowledge on things like Lua, or even (although no big changes) new python updates.

I think it's obvious that Buzz is the only guy who supplies patches etc. if he's the only one who has deeper knowledge in xbox programming.
If I understand porting Python I can help in other things aswell I'm really sure.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I can't really give a tutorial - getting python 2.7 working was weeks of work.

The xbox python code is http://redmine.exotica.org.uk/projects/ ... /libPython

there is a script to download some requisites, then the sln file is in http://redmine.exotica.org.uk/projects/ ... /XBOXbuild (pcbuild.sln)

to get the XBOX specific changes to python you would need to diff this with the upstream version - https://svn.exotica.org.uk:8443/xbmc4xb ... n/current/
tim619

Post by tim619 »

Thanks BuZz, that looks promising!