bittorrent client

Requests, suggestions, support, and everything else python / plugin related.
blackadder720

bittorrent client

Post by blackadder720 »

Hi, I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times but just can't seem to find conclusive information about it,
Is there any bittorrent client available for xbmc4xbox? if not, would it be possible to create an script to do so? for example, to run rtorrent or some light torrent client of the kind.
professor_jonny

Re: bittorrent client

Post by professor_jonny »

there were scripts around for xbmc to monitor a torrent client on a pc but i dont think there is a torrent client native to xbmc.
blackadder720

Post by blackadder720 »

I see, but would it be possible to implement such thing?
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

no. xbmc is not an OS, aand is not capable of multitasking. theoretically someone could develop a stand-alone app for torrents. personally I think it would be worth trying Xbox linux flavors with different clients to see how well it works. one thing to watch and remember is that a torrent client is demanding on the hard drive. for Xbox it may mean bad news, as FATX isn't a reliable filesystem for heavy operations. IIRC, the Xbox can not use the HDD cache - which is useful for heavy r/w operations.

from within xbmc, a script or program plugin could remotely control a torrent client over a web api. there are solutions for kodi/mainline xbmc available for this task, but they likely need to be modified or rewritten for use on the Xbox.