What happened to PrimeWire Plugin?

Requests, suggestions, support, and everything else python / plugin related.
moroccomann76

What happened to PrimeWire Plugin?

Post by moroccomann76 »

Topic says it all. I was surprised to look in Addons4Xbox Plugin and not see PrimeWire/[removed] in the Video Plugins anymore. Also its gone from http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/addons/ I've searched all over trying to find out where it went but its hard to narrow down the search given all the posts about it and all the names its gone by (primewire, [removed], etc)

Did this plugin just change to another name? did the service it relies on go down (possibly permanently) ?

where did it go? and where can I find it if its still usable lol
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: What happened to PrimeWire Plugin?

Post by BuZz »

It was no longer maintained by anyone. I am in the process of cleaning up our addons repository. Expect plenty of stuff to disappear. I want to get it back to a handful of working addons, then move to working towards getting the repository ready for the next release. There will then be an announcement regarding our addons repository, and where to go to find stuff that isn't on there.
Dom DXecutioner

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

Hmp! Is that hint at a built-in addons manager? ;)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Afraid not, although I intend to do a few fixes for the current system. The addons stuff is way off, I might retire before that :)
moroccomann76

Post by moroccomann76 »

BuZz wrote:It was no longer maintained by anyone. I am in the process of cleaning up our addons repository. Expect plenty of stuff to disappear. I want to get it back to a handful of working addons, then move to working towards getting the repository ready for the next release. There will then be an announcement regarding our addons repository, and where to go to find stuff that isn't on there.
Thanks for the info, as well as all the work you(and everyone else part of xbmc4xbox) has put into this :-)

looking forward to the announcement regarding the addons and where-to for the replacements
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

it' give addons developed from me the best working on xbmc4xbox
then she since mainly developed to use on xbmc4xbox.
One from it is PrimewireXbmc4xbox i have it not us since a long time but i think it is all working on it.
Addons developed from me can you find here http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=17

Use Yify.tv Faster for Movies TVShows-For TVShows,CanapowerXBMC$XBOX for Music Charts, Cinetrailer fro Trailer,TV-SHOWS-LIVE for watchimg Tv-Streams without
stop, Shoutcast2Xbmc4xbox for Radio.

Or use my PrimewireXBMC4XBOX addon http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1411
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Just a shame you were never able to maintain any of the addons you added to our repository, which has ended up leaving me with a ton of work to go through checking/disabling etc.
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

without my work on my Jan'sxbmc4xbox.
Its where to non time working addons on the xbmc4xbox repo.
Problem is that you can not working as team.
You never say to me i make this first than this so its.s better for working site on site.
You understand that we have momenly 2 python Version on on the stable(python 2.46) and one on the nightly build(python 2.7.5).
And you want the repo working for the stable .
You working on the addon Branch but you give no information .
When this is working or not to a team Member.
First i have updated the addons on the Repo.
But than its was for many addons no go to make this addons working again then the Sources was not Fine.
But the better option is python 2.7 and we have this working (you have this make aviable on the beta builds and it is working )
So i can not understand that you it not put on a stable build.

However , it is at the moment no matter. I lie in bed and have a fever.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

BuZz wrote:It was no longer maintained by anyone. I am in the process of cleaning up our addons repository. Expect plenty of stuff to disappear. I want to get it back to a handful of working addons, then move to working towards getting the repository ready for the next release. There will then be an announcement regarding our addons repository, and where to go to find stuff that isn't on there.
Heh, I admire your style BuZz. Just do it. Tell us when random questions and panic show up on the forum. :)

Do you have any idea how many noobz are flipping out because of you? They might hurt somebody - even themselves! Imagine the poor soul unable to get her Teen Mom binge on?

I think you need a PR team to follow you around announcing stuff out-right for you. That way you can go about your business with your usual decisive intent and foresight. You forget about us! It's like you're 12 moves ahead.

Funny how I noticed a few days ago stuff was missing. We finally are seeing wtf?!? on the forums. We are all a little dysfunctional. Antisocial nerds. :P

And you, Jan, with your crazy patching of addons! Slow down and make [removed]'s "Subscribe" function work some-how!! (Half-joking, but seriously it would be pretty cool to scan subscriptions to the library). I'd hate to see all these plugins you're making break and you have a mental breakdown trying to fix them. Feel better, you have been coding so hard you caught a fever!

I imagine the solution to be third-party repositories. That way if software is no longer maintained or broken, people will discontinue using the plugins on the unmaintained repo. The plugin developer can provide all related dependencies and release the modifications to them as they see fit. Another issue is versions - we want to maintain working copies for 'stable' and 'nightly' plugins.

A concern - maybe a plugin is only "broken" for people that have updated to 3.3.3, but it works fine out of the box for somebody on 3.1. Can the plugin's maintainer opt to support both versions of XBMC4XBOX and still have their plugins sorted in a *sane* approach? I find we often just have to update a plugin for a problem involving website changes. Both compatible versions could be updated reflecting the changes. Every addon maintainer can have the freedom to support versions of XBMC they support. But it also becomes fatiguing to the end user to know how to navigate the software and know when its "broken" or just "incompatible".

... lots to consider on that subject, BuZz. Take your time. But not too much ;)
[maybe throw us a frickin' bone, here? eh?]

And don't whip us into a giant frenzy and forget to let us know next time! We're fragile.
Last edited by fxmech on Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

well, I didn't want to announce anything until I had sorted the current addons - but I have actually discussed the future of our addons repository with all the main project contributors. Cleaning the current addons is nothing new and was already discussed on the forum - I am really just taking over from what Jan said he was going to do here - http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1893 (which was a continuation from another thread regarding the broken state of the repository)

I'm afraid I don't really care if people are flipping out over addons or not. There is nothing that can be done and no instant fix. If anyone wants to help out managing addons for the project they are welcome. This was the original idea with Jan (along with a few others - including me), but unfortunately he wants to manage his releases on the forum rather than our repository. Fine, but isn't helpful for me, now I am the one left to clear up all the broken addons from the repository. He agreed to help out, and then did his own thing unfortunately. The language difference also adds to the problems.

I'm getting a little fed up with the expectations here - this is not a job, this is me and others giving up their free time. I think it is unrealistic for people running it to even have expectations. Those that want something are welcome to contribute it themselves if no-one else has the time.

</grumpy mode> ;-) (I realise your post is friendly - and I'm not actually cross - just clarifying some stuff. I also woke up with no sense of humour. It's coming back slowly)
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

BuZz wrote:
I'm getting a little fed up with the expectations here - this is not a job, this is me and others giving up their free time. I think it is unrealistic for people running it to even have expectations. Those that want something are welcome to contribute it themselves if no-one else has the time.

</grumpy mode> ;-)
I was editing my post while you were replying to my post, hmm. Basically trying to add more of a constructive feel to it. I think I improved it.

That said, I am strongly considering committing my time to operations around the Xbox (mostly XBMC) world. It's a matter of how I organize my workspace, in a lot of ways, that actually allows me to continue to stay motivated. This sort of thing I have my eye on, because I have worked in "distributed labor/labor of love" "workplaces". Any random thing could piss me off and stop. I'm leaning toward hosting my releases over FTP/HTTP directory on my own server, with support on it as well. Eventually, extras like skins, homebrew, &otherstuff can easily get pushed directly to XBMC for downloading/install as the user demands.

I don't expect you to protect the noobs from themselves! Swift and forceful action should be taken when deemed necessary or convenient for you, as you see fit. It's probably good not to get all lost in the managing and micromanaging of informing people every step of the way. In this case the noob-suffering will be in the name of greater efficiency on the long-term.

And who said I care when noobheadz explode? I didn't post about it. :) It's probably going to be a pain in the ass for anybody that set up a relative/friend/neighbor. Luckily, I have all of mine back at home for makeovers already. I am going to get copies of the plugins they liked that are gone.

QUESTION - Where can we find what was removed? A .zip of them, or a "broken addons" repository we can install via a .zip?

[I noticed you edited your post to hedge on the grumpy vibes -- nice! Just as I was posting this saying I did the same thing about my demanding vibes!]
[I'm editing this post now! lloz]
/me wonders what will be on the other side of the submit button
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

yeh I added a bit of text to my reply, as I felt I had maybe read your post wrong (when i read it again), but then if you were changing that then I guess we have been involved in a revisionism loop :)

In regards to broken addons - I am moving them to a broken addons branch. Only exception is the [removed] plugin, which I had maintained the last couple of versions. I don't wish to manage that anymore so I removed it. It is still in the svn history though. I want to move xbmc4xbox away from addons which stream from dubious sources (much like they have on xbmc).

http://addons4xbox.googlecode.com/svn/b ... ns-broken/

note this is still a work in progress, and I have many more to test.
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

In that repository list, I did not see [removed], but I digress. Either way, Buzz could always have me do his PR work for him, lmao.

I agree with what you are doing Buzz, as I stated the other night. I know that I don't write anything for the addons, but that's because I know nothing about python or coding in general. I made a backup copy of all the repository approximately 2 weeks ago when the [removed] installer was acting wonky. Either way, it is YOUR damn project, do it as YOU want to do. The addons are out there, it's just that people need to learn to google for their damn selves. At times, I feel like you and really want to point people to LMGTFY.

I understand why you don't want to keep using dodgy/illegal streaming sites. It can cause you a ton of grief and legal issues. Whilst I don't mind the sites myself, I am not you. I also don't demand that it be fixed. I just let the people whose addons are broken know they're broken. No person here should EVER demand an ETA for the repair of a plugin. I see these chumps do this every once in a while, and it gets under my skin when they have 5 posts or less on here and demand answers.

In closing, this place is yours. Here, you are the king. The noobs need to learn the heirarchy. They should learn to become part of the project, rather than (using my analogy from last night) being the guy at the library only when he has a research paper to do. This place does have a wealth of knowledge (hence the library analogy), and I can understand why people come for the information. It just pisses me off to see the same damn topic over and over because people can't use the search feature in the top right corner. If you ever need my kind of PR service, I'll be happy to show up with a baseball bat. Good day my friend, keep coding. Those who really care about this project stand behind you.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
Dom DXecutioner

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

I demand an expeditious resolution! If you have time to wine, you have time to shine!!! LOL! Just kidding! :)
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Having the plugins with questionable legality is only a liability. It is the prudent way of the wise man to remove them from the default setup. Ultimate Zen can be fulfilled, now that we sweep the dirt under the carpet.