BBC iplayer. Has it Gone?

Requests, suggestions, support, and everything else python / plugin related.
Spaceman

BBC iplayer. Has it Gone?

Post by Spaceman »

Call me blind but I cannot see this anywhere on the new repo. Has it gone, moved, hiding, run off.
Can anyone point me to where it lives now?
I'm sure us Brits would be most grateful.
whufclee

Re: BBC iplayer. Has it Gone?

Post by whufclee »

Should still be in the same repo it's always been in - hitchers :)
Kozz

Post by Kozz »

Hmm seems to be a popular addon, would it be worth consideration to possably be added to our xbmc4xbox repo as well? Somebody in the uk would need to test and keep it updated though since Im in canada and cannot from here without complicated proxy connection etc
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I do not really want to duplicate it to our repo. I will think about it, but the original point of our repo was not to copy everything from other repositories into it, but rather to have a small selection of the most popular addons fixed for our codebase. the fact our addons repo already has a whole bunch of addons marked broken, has already moved away from what I intended really.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I've had a think - If you want to maintain a copy of iplayer on our repo, I don't mind, but I rather not have to maintain another copy of it myself really, although I suppose I did in the past with the svn repo.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

iplayer has always worked straight out of the box with A4X from hitchers so why would we need to add it to the xbox repo? Unless you plan to make significant xbox changes to it Buzz isn't that asking for trouble having two versions available (especially when it comes to helping users with problems)?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

No plans - I try and make sure it works out of the box on the xbox anyway. Certainly having another copy means making sure the copy is up to date etc.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

BuZz wrote:No plans - I try and make sure it works out of the box on the xbox anyway. Certainly having another copy means making sure the copy is up to date etc.
I say don't create a maintenance problem when it ain't broke - as Lee says, it works straight from Hitchers repo.
Kozz

Post by Kozz »

Cool thanks guys, thats why I asked ;)
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

The thing is not everybody knows where it's kept. I couldn't remember and I've used xbmc since the days of avalaunch.
Most plugins outside the xbmc4xbox folder don't work so a user feels unsure if to install or not to.
Besides I guarantee most if not all UK users will have BBC iPlayer installed. It would be a huge benefit if it was moved to a more user friendly folder.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Spaceman wrote:The thing is not everybody knows where it's kept. I couldn't remember and I've used xbmc since the days of avalaunch.
Most plugins outside the xbmc4xbox folder don't work so a user feels unsure if to install or not to.
Besides I guarantee most if not all UK users will have BBC iPlayer installed. It would be a huge benefit if it was moved to a more user friendly folder.
XBMC users seem to manage to find it. I don't see it as an issue. Are you volunteering to maintain the copy ? :)
evan_almighty

Post by evan_almighty »

I tend to agree with Spaceman's comment on users not knowing where to find these things.
I haven't a clue and therefore rely on my old setups to pull things from, which means I probably don't get updates. :-(

But then I agree, that these things also shouldn't really be in the XBox repository.

How about we create a register of plugins/scripts that are outside the XBox repository that we know work and where they are?
Everyone in the know could contribute to that!

I'll start it off :-)

iPlayer - hitcher's repo
TVCatchup -
5OD -
4OD -
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

the idea has been that we will have a whitelist/blacklist incorporated with addons4xbox or something, it's just been a matter of finding the time to implement.
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

It's simple. I've spent countless times installing addons now the repo is "splintered" to find they don't work or an updated version resides some place else.
I assumed the whole point of the xbmc4xbox repo was to gather a collection of working plugins\scripts for an upto date xbmc4xbox build.
For instance I've installed the 4OD plugin via repo. Doesn't work. Does via the forums. How would average Joe know that?
Used to get a synopsis before installing if the thing worked or not now it doesn't do that.
There are other "groups" in the repo but I don't touch them as none of them work, or atleast 90%
As far as I was aware the iplayer app doesn't need maintaining. I've been on the same build for a year now.
It never really changes and to be frank if it died I'd seriously consider the xbox as a media centre. I'm sure people here must have a plugin they use daily.
It's fine. If it's too much work then don't copy it over. I do appreciate the work that goes into this as I'm sure we all do.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Spaceman wrote:It's simple. I've spent countless times installing addons now the repo is "splintered" to find they don't work or an updated version resides some place else.
I assumed the whole point of the xbmc4xbox repo was to gather a collection of working plugins\scripts for an upto date xbmc4xbox build.
For instance I've installed the 4OD plugin via repo. Doesn't work. Does via the forums. How would average Joe know that?
Used to get a synopsis before installing if the thing worked or not now it doesn't do that.
There are other "groups" in the repo but I don't touch them as none of them work, or atleast 90%
As far as I was aware the iplayer app doesn't need maintaining. I've been on the same build for a year now.
It never really changes and to be frank if it died I'd seriously consider the xbox as a media centre. I'm sure people here must have a plugin they use daily.
It's fine. If it's too much work then don't copy it over. I do appreciate the work that goes into this as I'm sure we all do.
if an addon doesn't work and you want it on our repo, you can make a polite request on the forum maybe someone will look into it. Maybe you yourself could try help the project too ?

as one of the current maintainers of the iplayer app, I can tell you it does require maintaining (I made 4 releases in 2012, and 5+ in 2011) - I've just not had time to push out a new version. development has been ongoing.

TBH I might read more into your requests, but after saying the last two releases of xbmc4xbox were broken, and not even responding to a request for a debug log, your personal wants do lose some weight. How hard is it to spend a few minutes to upload a log ?

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 9231#p9234
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

Sorry but I originally didn't ask for it to be moved, Kozz did.
I asked where it was?
When I suggested could it be moved (as others have) to a more user friendly location the response was no it isn't moving and do it yourself.
Not every single xbmc4xbox can come and help here. It's unreasonable to think so.
You said it yourself you wanted a collection of only the most popular addons and I put it to you iplayer will be very popular amonst British users, more so than the majority on there.
When I suggested could it be moved to a more user friendly location the response was no it isn't moving and do it yourself.

Secondly I've never said any "builds" were broken I asked if people were having trouble scraping from one site. That is all. The problem went away. I mentioned I prefered using an older 3.1 build for personal reasons.
You wanted a breakdown of why and how. That's not what I asked. I asked about a scraper.
Others mentioned it was working. That's what I asked for. The problem was with TVDB. The problem want away. I didn't come here for my "personal wants" was just a very simple, trivial question.

I'm looking at the comments now. I didn't read any malice or rudeness into what I wrote. I don't think. In fact I thought it quite jovial but am now made aware I'm on a forum with people who looks like they have quite a short fuse.
I thought we were having a mature conversation but if you've taken my comments as anything as such then sorry.
I've no clue why the ansgt but I'll leave it at that. I'll not trouble this forum again then.
Last edited by Spaceman on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Spaceman wrote:Sorry but I originally didn't ask for it to be moved, I asked where it was?
Secondly I've never said any "builds" were broken I asked if people were having trouble scraping from one site. That is all. The problem went away. I have a very busy work and family life and don't frequent this site as much as others. I don't frequent forums either. Should I have checked in, let you all know the problem fixed itself?
Probably.
When I suggested could it be moved to a more user friendly location the response was no it isn't moving and do it yourself.
Not every single xbmc4xbox can come and help here. It's unreasonable to think so.
You said it yourself you wanted a collection of only the most popular addons and I put it to you iplayer will be very popular amonst British users, more so than the majority on there.
I'm looking at the comments now. I didn't read any malice or rudeness into what I wrote. I don't think. In fact I thought it quite jovial but am now made aware I'm on a forum with people who looks like they have quite a short fuse.
I thought we were having a mature conversation but if you've taken my comments as anything as such then sorry.
it has already been said where it was. on hitcher's repo.

you did write things were broken. I am still waiting for a debug log showing the thumbs issue.
'm trying to avoid that as I don't like using 3.2 and 3.2.1. They seem to use more ram for me, have low resolution thumbnails and iplayer seems to be worse though that could be placebo. iplayer hasn't been great since 3.0 actually.
you say "you wanted info on a scraper". but "I" wanted info on the thumbs issue etc. You didn't provide any (yet). Please provide some and help the project. This is not a place to just get the information you need, nor is anyone being paid to sit here helping users.

the idea behind our repo was the most popular addons that dont work out of the box. not just the most popular addons.

there is no short fuse, but you have to understand it is completely unhelpful to me when people say stuff is broken, and then provide no information. You also made assumptions regarding iplayer maintenance (which is another thing I give up free time to do). In this discussion the maintenance issue of iplayer was brought up, and I replied I didn't want to look after another copy of it, since you suggest it should be on our repo, then why not me suggest you maintain it there ? We are all putting in our free time here.
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

Because I dont want to maintain it. I have a very busy work and family life.
Believe me I've said I'm gratefull, fully appreciative of the work and dedication you guys pour into this project. I'm sure you guys are busy too but to expect every single xbmc user to contribute is far fetched.
I'd think about contributing if I knew what was needed but wouldn't know where to begin. I'm not going to say I'll do it if realistically I don't have the know how. If it's a simple task then educate me. I'll look into.
If it's too much work you could have just said as such. A simple sorry we don't have the time would have done it but you gave it some thought, I thought open to suggestion.
If working plugins are dotted here and there I assumed the whole point was to get them into one local.
I cannot believe something has rudimentary as asking where Iplayer resides has turned into this.
Glad i didn't ask where the skins are kept now :)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

will you be providing a debug log regarding the thumbnail and memory issue ? (on the other thread where you mentioned it)

there is no repository for skins currently btw.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

BuZz wrote:there is no repository for skins currently btw.
Strictly speaking that's not true, I did have a repository setup for XAI which should still work fine (in XAI). I got permissions from the skinners involved and stuck them up there, fairly sure I offered to give admin rights but I don't think anyone took me up on that. Anyway if it's any use buzz, here's the repo https://code.google.com/p/skins4xbox/so ... unk%2Fskin