[Video Guide] Installing And Using Navi-X

Requests, suggestions, support, and everything else python / plugin related.
whufclee

[Video Guide] Installing And Using Navi-X

Post by whufclee »

There's been a lot of debate over the years as to how reliable Navi-X is and I can tell you after loads of testing it can be pretty perfect so long as you have the right settings. I've created my own Xbox Friendly Playlist and lots of Xbox users have been using it with success for months now, so here's what you need to do:

Installation:
Install Navi-X via XAI (Xbox Addon Installer) and it will set my playlist as the homepage, you will find Navi-X in your scripts section.

IMPORTANT:
The reason a lot of users struggle with Navi-X is because it uses more RAM than a standard plugin so you need to make sure you're not running a memory intensive skin and also DO NOT run xbmc4xbox at 1080i (which is not recommended anyway, regardless of whether you wan to run Navi-X or not).
Recommended Skins: SLik, JX720, PMIII, xtv-SAF or Conflence with the mod from NOTTHESAME (standard Confluence uses too much RAM and you'll find hardly any videos play).
Recommended Resolution: Anything up to and including 720p but NOT 1080i

Here's a little video explaining how to use Navi-X with my playlist, the video is a little out of date now - it looks a bit sleeker these days and has much more content but there are some useful tips in there. Also disregard what it says about using Addons4Xbox Installer to install, that was the old method - the new simpler method is XAI.

Little tips:
The main reason people think Navi-X doesn't work properly is because some items only play with a certain player (xbox only). After weeks of testing I still didn't get to the bottom of this but generally DVDPlayer plays most things fine however if it refuses to play them try playing with Mplayer instead (it's an option if you click on "Play...").

If you find nothing is playing then this usually happens after you've been browsing for some time in the same session. It's just a problem with the FreeMem so exit out of Navi-X and then go back in again, if you really want to play it safe you could reboot the xbox to clear cache.
juna1103

Re: [Video Guide] Installing And Using Navi-X

Post by juna1103 »

whufclee
How come I can find these skin on my xbmc? There only 2 skins project myhem and something else? I think I didn't install xbmc right, also there only one video plugin '' apple trailers '' and I don't have different dashes like unleashedx and elvo?
Could please help with getting my xbmc to run right? I installed xbmc for a A.I.D delux the newest one..
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

In all honesty I would suggest burning the HeXEn ISO to disc and re-do your softmod. Although the version of xbmc that comes pre-installed with HeXEn is really old the disc will install everything to what is now considered the "standard" directories. It's really easy to use and all you need to do is follow my video guide on "softmod part 2 - HeXEn disc". Once it's done you'll have UnleashX, EvoX and XBMC installed. It will auto boot into XBMC and it will also have extra security measures in place which make it almost impossible to screw up the softmod by accidentally deleting files. All you then need to do is ftp over a recent build of xbmc4xbox (I'd recommend Jans build - you'll find it on this forum). It sounds as though you're running quite an old build there already so follow the above instructions and when you're done just ftp over XAI (Xbox Addon Installer) and you can install loads of different skins.

If you follow the video guide I mentioned you can't really go wrong and then I'd suggest watching the "update via ftp" video.
juna1103

Post by juna1103 »

whufclee
First let me say thanks for replying.. If funny you say it a old build XBMC4XBOX-3.2-STABLE is what I downloaded, is that the newest one?? and I think maybe the download was messed up.. And the disc HeXEn I just found it with goggle and will try it, and let you know what happens...
Again Thanks for taking time to reply it is very much appreciated..
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Ah ok it's not an old build then! The reason I said it sounds like an old build is because you mentioned the "apple movie trailers" plugin was included and that hasn't been included for a very long time. I guess team AID must have added it to the stable build. I still recommend using Jans build though as that includes the brilliant [removed] addon which you can't find anywhere else (also includes all the most popular addons adapted from mainbranch by Jan). Let us know how you get on.
juna1103

Post by juna1103 »

whufclee
I think you right, it not the newest build on the AID I was mistaken with another file I downloaded to do a update with is the XBMC4XBOX-3.2-STABLE I going to do the jan build with FTP.. Can i ftp, jan buld. if I don't have other dashes can I use dvd2xbox ? I seen a video somewhere that someone can update using dvd2xbox? is this wrong?
juna1103

Post by juna1103 »

whufclee
Yes I got it, the Jan buld running, How do I get the video pluiging you mentioned something 1, chn 1 I think? Thanks alot man my xbmc never looked better with the different skins..
juna1103

Post by juna1103 »

whufclee
Never mind my last question, I figured out what I was doing wrong.. Thanks my friend.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Glad you got there in the end mate, sorry I missed all your posts I've been away for the past day. Normally my phone would notify me of new posts on here but it broke 2 weeks ago so I'm currently using a 10 year old thing that doesn't even have picture messaging let alone internet capabilities :cry:
juna1103

Post by juna1103 »

No problem, thanks to you I got it.. I also got my emultors working with game NES I love the old sh..t.. lol.
juna1103

Post by juna1103 »

whufclee '' Happy Thanksgiving ''
I'm sorry to bother you again, can I ask you a question or 2?
Question 1? In the jan Build, on the main screen, I have ' weather', 'videos', 'programs', 'system', where is the Addon's section? I looked into the systems setting, could find anything.. I also install a few addons and can't find them?? with x.a.i
Question 2 ? scripts and repo's, what are they, I tried looking for some videos or info but couldn't really find anything that explain there functions? I am real interested in these.
Thanks in advance
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Ok this is the big difference between mainline xbmc and xbmc4xbox. Our core is still pretty much based on the Camelot build (that was the last build that team XBMC released for xbox before officially dropping the platform). Things used to be much different than they are nowadays and we used to have plugins and scripts, nowadays on mainbranch they all come under the one banner "addons". Xbmc4Xbox still uses plugins and scripts so what the XAI does is install mainbranch addons but it installs them in the old format. You will find plugins in programs/video/music/pictures (depending on which plugin you install), scripts will be found in the sub-menu under programs.

I'll do my best to explain what a plugin is and what a script is...

Plugin - the basic function of a plugin is to scrape content from an external source (a website) and display the results in a list, the user can then listen/view/download the content when they click on it. An example of a plugin would be [removed], it scrapes the movies and TV shows and then shows them as a list and you can then click on the content to view it.

Script - A script is a little more complex, this has more functionality and is more like an external program. There are some simple games which are scripts (space invaders, snake etc), Navi-X is also a script as it has its own GUI... basically if it does more than just list content it's a script! I'm sure someone would be able to give you a more technical description but that's basically the score.

EDIT: Oh I forgot to tell you what a repository is... you don't really need to know! Okay then I suppose I'd better try and explain. So there are loads of addons out there and they are all on different repositories. The majority of the ones which don't infringe any copywrite laws are hosted on the official xbmc.org repository, that has over 100 addons such as youtube, TWiT, Rom Collection Browser... basically all the 100% legit ones which they can't get into trouble with. Generally each addon developer has their own repository - most hosted on their own googlecode page (SVN) but a few also use GIT. So Icefilms is on the Anarchintosh repo as he was the original author, Youtube is on xbmc.org, LiveOnlineFooty is on morstars repo and so on... Most repositories have many different addons, last time I checked there was about 500 addons and probably 30 or so repositories. Hope that kinda makes sense.